Hitoribocchi no Isekai Kouryaku - Vol. 1 Ch. 2 - Only Bad Skills!? And Twice as Many

Anyone else thinks this dude got the perfect "Demon Lord" setup?
I feel like that's where this might progress.

No skills are ever "bad" unless the designer failed. Many games have fail skills because the design was off. Seriously why would there ever be "bad" abilities offered?

It's a matter of philosophy and business model. Mark's article on why bad cards exist is the standard go-to. He makes several cromulent points, though in Magic's case the primary reason is "to milk our wealthy customers of all of their money."

In the case of a video game world, if all skills were equally good there'd be no reason to chase and work toward acquiring any particular one. Being able to grow crops twice as fast is kickass utility value if you can exploit it - doesn't do anything to deal with Meteor Showers or giant locusts.

Worth The Candle goes another route where every skill is hopelessly busted, but not evenly so. Woodworking is infamous for allowing you to create "anything" out of wood - but only as the maxed out capstone talent. So it is possible to craft a rocket ship and the car keys to the Death Star orbiting the planet and hijack the thing - just... really difficult surviving until you can get to that point.

Too many of the isekai genre too often takes away any possibility of that sort of accomplishment by giving their protagonists max stats and skills from the beginning.

Dex-chan lover
I dunno man teleportation sounds like a pretty good skill, unless it's only got a maximum range of a meter, then it would only serve as a fancy way of dodging that costs mp.
I like the loner thing, basically an anti-harem device, which is god cuz IMO the problem with isekai isn't isekai, the problem with isekai is harem.

I like the loner thing, basically an anti-harem device, which is god cuz IMO the problem with isekai isn't isekai, the problem with isekai is harem.

Check the tags! You will be sad.

The problem with isekai isn't harem, game elements, loner hikkimori MC or any other themes or tropes. It's horrible lazy ass cookie cutter writing. Japanese web novels especially suffer from this since they have an actual profit motive, they're not just nerds writing something for fun.

Dungeon Defense has harem elements, but the characters in that story are actually making rational decisions that make sense to them. It's not wish fulfillment no-conflict pig rolling in its own poop nonsense. There's a pecking order where he very much is not the top of the food chain.

It doesn't hurt that the real world actually impacted the MC's personality (which is also something he has that most Isekai protagonists severely lack). And everything all wraps around to one central theme. He becomes the person he despises the most in the world: his father.

... the kind of analogies, opinions and depth that obviously aren't going to be offered by Lonely Attack on a Different World. I'm just here to see the numbers go up quite honestly.

The title should be I'm Reincarnated to be a useless Neet & lucky villager XD

Aggregator gang
MC is pretty stupid thus far. With magics like Temperature and Teleportation and skills like Health and Manipulation, he could probably get fairly powerful with them - in this case, it’s how you use them that determines how powerful they are, and they aren’t inherently useless like the MC thinks they are. Even Cane Arts and Walking don’t look that bad, and his other skills and magics actually look pretty strong. He also threw away a max stat by putting those stat points into the already maxed luck (unless you need a match in order to get a one max stat or something, and he only had enough points to max one stat anyways). However, I will say that Luck seems to be, by far and away, the most broken stat ever, so +1 point for the MC there

Dex-chan lover
The skills that got left out were only those that wouldn't matter much in the fight against the Maou. They are good if you just want to live though.

Dex-chan lover
Lenses gives "inspector" the most OP of all cheat like skills. It's is no wonder they cost 30p...

Banned
That idiot rolled two "Max" values on dice and put them both into the same attribute. *Slow Claps*

Anyhow... yeah... you couldn't pay me enough to put contact lenses in, even if they did give the most OP skill he has. I'd have asked the jiji for glasses instead... or failing that, just smashed them and gone without. Contact lenses are heresy.

Users who are viewing this thread