Hoist The Colors: Site Theme Contest

Dex-chan lover
guess it doesn't work yet with the forums.

Some suggestions:
  • For the color picker, add an option to use an HSB (Hue, Saturation, Brightness) sliders, this makes it easier to get different tones from the same color.
  • It would be nice to get a better descriptions on when these colors appear, also nice to warn the user that it may take some time to see changes in the main pages. Although I could see all changes in the custom page selection, it wasn't working completely (only some parts) when I checked the other pages. I thought there was something wrong, like I was changing the wrong place, but it changed everything after some time.

Dex-chan lover
i hope someone makes a nice midnight blue theme 😄 i tried making one but changing the blues makes my eyes tired

you can use the copy theme url button to past a link for your theme is much easier

Dex-chan lover
Please add revert option or a "Save as". Would be helpful for testing multiple styles.
Revert was removed as it didn't work too well unfortunately so as long as the devs aren't bored, with nothing else to do (gl :kek:) this won't be coming back I suppose, since it'd need further improvement first...

Dex-chan lover
In case anyone wants to know what each specific color does, I've looked through the site and identified some uses for each color. It started as just the strange obscure-seeming ones, but I checked through pretty much all of them. I checked against Firefox and Edge, didn't do Chrome and mobile because I was kinda lazy. So no one else has to go through that pain:
  • text color: this text goes on for miles (everywhere minus links)
  • main background: can you guess what this one is...?
  • translucency
    • l1: used on background on title pages towards the top (most visible right under the title and pic, makes a nice gradient)
    • each seems to be more transparent than the previous one (all the way up to fully transparent)
    • couldn't find any obvious uses of l2 through l4
  • accent: used for menus, boxes, and the search bar as the background color
  • accent l1-l5: used stuff drawn on top of accent boxes mostly
    • l1 is used for the background of the image loading buttons and between different scanlations of the same chapter and some accent button hovers?!?!
    • l2 is used for the background of the horizontal progress bar during reading (after it's already been loaded) and the Ctrl + K hint on the search bar
    • l3 is used for the progress bar during loading (I think?)
    • didn't see any obvious uses for l4 or l5
    • hover is for when mouse is on top of the button (usually lighter than base in dark mode)
    • active is when the button is being clicked (usually darker than base in dark mode)
  • mid-tone: didn't find an obvious use in the pages I scrolled, probably should be similar to the text color though
  • scrollbar colors: for the vertical scrollbar (does notaffect the horizontal progress bars)
    • doesn't work in Firefox (imagine my surprise when I tried it in Edge and actually saw a change...), but does in Edge and (presumably) Chrome
  • button accent: main button color and is also used in some borderless buttons on hover (notably on the left sidebar on the home page)
  • button accent (alt.): didn't find an obvious use but it should be another button color probably
  • primary: this is the main color used in anything that needs to stand out (the Mangadex orange by default)
    • used in important buttons, page dividers, links (both in site and cross site), for button hover for cross-site pages (on series pages)
  • primary l1: used for very few primary color buttons on hover (most notably, for the current page on the navigation sidebar)
  • primary l2: couldn't find any obvious uses for it (theoretically should be the button click color for primary color buttons but...)
  • status colors: for publication statuses per series (green for ongoing, blue for completed, etc)
    • blue status is also used on the side of chapters that you've already read
    • you could change these to whatever you want, but conventions are nice
  • indication blue: 404 no obvious uses found
  • danger: for "dangerous" buttons, can either be a bordered button for risky actions (like deleting your account) or a borderless button for meh ones (like deleting a chapter you uploaded)
  • danger l1 and l2: didn't find anything for these ones either
Anyway, I hope this helps someone while they're designing their themes.
I've been told the translucency options should use the background color with the transparency staying as is.
Accent alt can be found in the reader settings while mid-tone separates chapters by volume in the reader chapter selection menu.

Dex-chan lover

In case anyone wants to know what each specific color does, I've looked through the site and identified some uses for each color. It started as just the strange obscure-seeming ones, but I checked through pretty much all of them. I checked against Firefox and Edge, didn't do Chrome and mobile because I was kinda lazy. So no one else has to go through that pain:
  • text color: this text goes on for miles (everywhere minus links)
  • main background: can you guess what this one is...?
  • translucency
    • l1: used on background on title pages towards the top (most visible right under the title and pic, makes a nice gradient)
    • each seems to be more transparent than the previous one (all the way up to fully transparent)
    • couldn't find any obvious uses of l2 through l4
  • accent: used for menus, boxes, and the search bar as the background color
  • accent l1-l5: used stuff drawn on top of accent boxes mostly
    • l1 is used for the background of the image loading buttons and between different scanlations of the same chapter and some accent button hovers?!?!
    • l2 is used for the background of the horizontal progress bar during reading (after it's already been loaded) and the Ctrl + K hint on the search bar
    • l3 is used for the progress bar during loading (I think?)
    • didn't see any obvious uses for l4 or l5
    • hover is for when mouse is on top of the button (usually lighter than base in dark mode)
    • active is when the button is being clicked (usually darker than base in dark mode)
  • mid-tone: didn't find an obvious use in the pages I scrolled, probably should be similar to the text color though
  • scrollbar colors: for the vertical scrollbar (does notaffect the horizontal progress bars)
    • doesn't work in Firefox (imagine my surprise when I tried it in Edge and actually saw a change...), but does in Edge and (presumably) Chrome
  • button accent: main button color and is also used in some borderless buttons on hover (notably on the left sidebar on the home page)
  • button accent (alt.): didn't find an obvious use but it should be another button color probably
  • primary: this is the main color used in anything that needs to stand out (the Mangadex orange by default)
    • used in important buttons, page dividers, links (both in site and cross site), for button hover for cross-site pages (on series pages)
  • primary l1: used for very few primary color buttons on hover (most notably, for the current page on the navigation sidebar)
  • primary l2: couldn't find any obvious uses for it (theoretically should be the button click color for primary color buttons but...)
  • status colors: for publication statuses per series (green for ongoing, blue for completed, etc)
    • blue status is also used on the side of chapters that you've already read
    • you could change these to whatever you want, but conventions are nice
  • indication blue: 404 no obvious uses found
  • danger: for "dangerous" buttons, can either be a bordered button for risky actions (like deleting your account) or a borderless button for meh ones (like deleting a chapter you uploaded)
  • danger l1 and l2: didn't find anything for these ones either
Anyway, I hope this helps someone while they're designing their themes.
accent L1 is also used for the lil line dividing chapters from the same title on the "updates" page

Dex-chan lover
Why not a Visa or Mastercard gift card for those who don't like Amazon?

Dex-chan lover
Suggestions: Discord old blurple theme, old Facebook blue theme, old DA green, pepsi red-blue, 4chan green, Windows XP blue...

Users who are viewing this thread