Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san - Vol. 20 Ch. 149 - Your voice is kinda shrieky, Senpai

Dex-chan lover
I'm going to argue that Paisen isn't necessarily in the wrong here, but in fact is probably overthinking it. Yes, he's drawn other nude models before, and as an artist that's part of the profession. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

But this is also his first time drawing a nude model since he and Nagatoro started dating, and he obviously doesn't know how Nagatoro would feel about him looking at another woman naked. So in some ways it's based on him trying to be considerate of Nagatoro and his relationship with her.

But he's also being way too timid and indecisive about explaining things to her. Which isn't entirely unexpected; this is his first relationship and up until... a year-ish ago he was basically a loner and outcast. His social experience is, needless to say, not as high as some others.

However, he did make things worse by trying to smooth things over with vagueness and stalling. By doing that he looks like he's outright lying and makes the situation look worse than it is, as if he knowingly did something immoral or wrong. He should by now know that Nagatoro wants him to be assertive and confident in himself, and so she'd respect him a helluva lot more if he was just straight with her.

On the other hand, Nagatoro rifling through his art bag like that is an invasion of privacy. Relationship or not, her curiosity does not supersede his boundaries. Two wrongs do not make a right in this situation, and Paisen isn't in the wrong to be a little upset that she looked through his things.

TLDR: Kids being kids and both of them making mistakes in their first ever relationship. Whodda thunk.

Dex-chan lover
I am just going to say, they are tempting fate by calling themselves the Elite Four. Do they want to suffer a crushing defeat at the hands of a random mute ten year old?
Said mute 10 year old out draws them in a cold and calculated way to maximize every stroke and line that they use

I think folks are missing a few things:

The girl he drew nude just said that early in relationships fights can start over little things so he has that in his mind at the end of the end of the chapter and this leads to the guilt he feels later in the chapter before nagatoro enters the art room. Of course he’s in the wrong for lying but how does that make it okay for nagatoro to betray his trust? Let’s not forget that the brother is a year into coming out of his shell and engaging in these new environments and situations there are gonna be things he’s unfamiliar with and he’s grappling with a new sense of responsibility to her and himself.

I hope this doesn’t become a drawn out arc but I think both of them have grown to the point where they can express how they feel; hence why he says that nagatoro went through it without his permission.

Dex-chan lover
HUrMSeo.png

Conflict over. Well not really probably
In the original Japanese she says "サーセン" which is more of an informal slang for sorry. She's not straight up apologizing, she's saying it in more of a "I'm sorry you feel that way" kind of way, which anybody with zero knowledge of japanese and at least a smidgen of emotional intelligence should be able to pick up on.

Dex-chan lover
such is a teen's romance, where one hasn't even realized that keeping secrets so your partner would be oblivious and happy is exactly how to ruin a relationship :wooow:
It's cute to see highschoolers acting like highschoolers

Dex-chan lover
Wrong, Naoto didn't need to tell something if he wasn't comfortable with it. He probably would've telled her in his own pace, but Nagatoro went over him and meddled in his stuff without asking. What he did wasn't morally wrong (drawing Machida), it was just a professional matter he didn't feel comfortable sharing yet. He's in the right. I hope Nagatoro learns to respect him and his space a little more after this.
I think that Nagatoro knows that he has no say in what he is drawing in the Cram School but the fact that he hid it from Nagatoro might cause some problems. I see an arc where Nagatoro forces him to draw her naked. She has offered in jest since the beginning of the Manga and he has always spazzed out and refused to draw lewds. "NO LEWDS NO LEWDS NO LEWDS"

I also think he was ashamed of doing the drawing but since he didn't have a say in what he had to draw I think he just didn't want to worry Nagatoro or create any Jealousy between them because of the instructor's choice of media.

Fed-Kun's army
Here comes the fight that I presume will end up with nagatoro modelling naked for him.

Dex-chan lover
I'm going to argue that Paisen isn't necessarily in the wrong here, but in fact is probably overthinking it. Yes, he's drawn other nude models before, and as an artist that's part of the profession. There's nothing inherently wrong with that.

But this is also his first time drawing a nude model since he and Nagatoro started dating, and he obviously doesn't know how Nagatoro would feel about him looking at another woman naked. So in some ways it's based on him trying to be considerate of Nagatoro and his relationship with her.

But he's also being way too timid and indecisive about explaining things to her. Which isn't entirely unexpected; this is his first relationship and up until... a year-ish ago he was basically a loner and outcast. His social experience is, needless to say, not as high as some others.

However, he did make things worse by trying to smooth things over with vagueness and stalling. By doing that he looks like he's outright lying and makes the situation look worse than it is, as if he knowingly did something immoral or wrong. He should by now know that Nagatoro wants him to be assertive and confident in himself, and so she'd respect him a helluva lot more if he was just straight with her.

On the other hand, Nagatoro rifling through his art bag like that is an invasion of privacy. Relationship or not, her curiosity does not supersede his boundaries. Two wrongs do not make a right in this situation, and Paisen isn't in the wrong to be a little upset that she looked through his things.

TLDR: Kids being kids and both of them making mistakes in their first ever relationship. Whodda thunk.
Up until this point in the manga she's had zero reason to believe that his art was off-boundaries or that he was keeping secrets. She asked what he drew, and he literally said it was something ordinary. He didn't even tell her not to look. No warnings, nothing. Given how far beyond the boundaries they've already been with each other up until now, there was no way for her to know that something as relatively tame as opening that art cannister would be anything remotely close to invading his privacy. Up until now, art has been the one thing that Senpai's been completely open and honest about, it's been a window into his soul, a way for her to see through his timid and shy exterior.

And now she's finding out that it isn't as open as it used to be, that secrets and boundaries do exist between them and that he hid the truth from her, not just once over text, but twice when she just asked him, and even after that he isn't even apologetic but rather defensive. Nagatoro isn't in the wrong here, there was nothing to indicate she was stepping over boundaries. In fact if we the readers weren't witness to Machida's nude sketch scene and only saw what Nagatoro saw, we'd all be up in arms as well.

Dex-chan lover
Poor Nagatoroverse girls continue to be nippleless 😔😔😔.
That's my only complaint about the series! If you're gonna include this kinda fanservice in a manga, then don't half-ass it. Either show the damn nipples or don't bother with service because it just ends up being pointless than funny. Or at the very least draw them in later in the volume release!!
Just having the fanservice to drill in the fact that paisen is a virgin character with over-the top reactions stops being funny after one or two times. We fucking get it! He's an herbivore, like many other MC-kuns before him. But don't Flander-ize it!
....sorry didn't realize this was a trigger..thanks for the translation 😅

I'm no artist (hell, I studied engineering) but isn't live nude model drawing part of the art school curriculum?

• Strike
Reactions: Tlo

Users who are viewing this thread