Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" - Ch. 88 - The Man Who Came From Across a Distant Sea

Double-page supporter
Brother out there is protagonist of his own damn story. 🫡

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for picking it up. I thought the second floor was through the doorway to earth?

Group Leader
I see some people are mad about translating 'toriaezu nama' to 'whatsontap', but it does actually make some sense here if you're not used to 80 chapters of it. As he showed in the TL notes, the natives say it in katakana. They're pronouncing it awkwardly and they have no idea what those words actually mean - it's rote spitting back an incomprehensible set of syllables.

Literally, 'toriaezu' means 'for now' or 'first of all', and 'nama' means raw meaning unfiltered but the Japanese just use it for 'draft' in this context even if it's filtered. So when you use this in an izakaya, you are saying 'to start with I will have whatever your main house beer on tap is'. Also implied is it's whatever the default size is, usually chuu nama, which is about a pint, but could be much larger some places. Which is close enough to whatsontap for people who have no idea and don't even know (I think? Been too long since reading this) that you only use it for the first drink. For later beers you'd just say 'nama wo kudasai' (draft please) or 'mo ippai' (another glass) or dozens of other possibilities.

So it may be grating at first encounter, but I think it works here? And I say that as someone who has had hundreds of beers in izakaya in Japan - I've been on a lot of after work drinking parties for Japanese partner companies, they are real!

Double-page supporter
you just know that letting him stay over night will result in him learning that the back door connects back to Japan.

he was just so happy to find Nobu that it probably never dawned on him that how would a store selling Japanese food stuff even stay in business long term if it didn't have access to supplies from Japan.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation, wondering why they didn't immediately say "Hey we have a door connecting to Japan, wanna go home?"
They might not immediately connect the dots of what he said and assumed he is stranded there.
As far as they know, he is only somebody from Japan who has not had a real Japanese meal in a long time.
That does not automatically mean he can not return on his own.
That and they probably want to hear his story first. Priorities got shifted to feeding a hungry man who travelled a long way to find them and why, plus they still don't know the details about how he wound up in that world. He likely still has a lot to tell, and a lot more to eat. X3 So they'll probably get to know him first before asking him if he'd like the chance to go home or visit home.

Thanks for picking this up and the update is delicious! so are the notes at the end! super helpful to visualise the foods they refer to in Japanese!

Dex-chan lover
Great to see this going again! Thanks for picking it up!

Having read both the scans here and the official translation... Use whatever the heck you want for the terminology. As long as it's consistently done on your side and the point gets across, I think that's fitting enough here.

Dex-chan lover
I swear I had a dream of some dude here in the comment section of this chapter calling the boss an idiot for letting a stranger sleep in his house and sparking a fight in the comments

Dex-chan lover
thank you for picking this up.

and the next time i see people complaining at other isekai stories about "why do isekai MC always so gungho about japanese food" i'm gonna give them the link to this chapter

Dex-chan lover
At first I thought the guy wanted to returned to Japan, but more like he just wanted to enjoy Japanese cuisine after decades.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the TL , I adore this series. I stopped reading when TOOR stopped their TLs as I just couldn't get through the other TLs. This seems to be very good so I guess I have to binge all the old chapters.

Dex-chan lover
Touching chapter especially for those who lived far away from hometown

Users who are viewing this thread