Isekai Izakaya "Nobu" - Vol. 13 Ch. 78 - Take-Out Bento

Don't worry too much about the Bento - Lunchbox discrepancy you gotta think of it from the in-world perspective. The magic that ties the Izakaya probably accounts for translation as well seeing as they have not had to learn the language of Aitheria. The bit back in one of the ealier chapters then when Branton (i think) wanted schnitzel, it was translated correctly but neither Taisho nor Shinobu knew what schnitzel was.

Dex-chan lover
Don't worry too much about the Bento - Lunchbox discrepancy you gotta think of it from the in-world perspective. The magic that ties the Izakaya probably accounts for translation as well seeing as they have not had to learn the language of Aitheria. The bit back in one of the ealier chapters then when Branton (i think) wanted schnitzel, it was translated correctly but neither Taisho nor Shinobu knew what schnitzel was.
still doubt it, afaik bentou are not common in medieval europe
but who knows, i'm no scholar

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter! Yeah, the Bento thing is a bit strange, but contextually it's hard to find any other term since all the characters seems to know the term.

Dex-chan lover
still doubt it, afaik bentou are not common in medieval europe
but who knows, i'm no scholar
The thing is, it's not "our" Medieval Europe, but a fantasy world that "coincidentally" resembles a Medieval European setting.

In this same universe, there's another manga called "Isekai Izakaya Gen", which tells the story of another Japanese restaurant that got isekai'd in this same world, but in different country, implying that perhaps it wasn't Nobu who introduced the bentos to this world, maybe there are other isekai'd Japanese restaurants that brought the bentos before.

Dex-chan lover
The thing is, it's not "our" Medieval Europe, but a fantasy world that "coincidentally" resembles a Medieval European setting.

In this same universe, there's another manga called "Isekai Izakaya Gen", which tells the story of another Japanese restaurant that got isekai'd in this same world, but in different country, implying that perhaps it wasn't Nobu who introduced the bentos to this world, maybe there are other isekai'd Japanese restaurants that brought the bentos before.
huh, didnt know that. those 2 manga are connected??
i almost forget that manga exist (with the lack of update)

Dex-chan lover
It's worth remembering that the concept of 'takeout food in a box' wasn't introduced here - it happened during when eel were popular, way back in chapter 15. I think both terms would be a reasonable fit, but the 'lunch' part of 'lunchbox' would add some associations that don't quite fit in comparison.

Dex-chan lover
I understand the locals calling it as Bento since they would know the word from the Izakaya, but it doesn't make sense for these two to call it as such.

Actually, back in ch 15 when they first made the eel bento, Berthold call it bento normally and wasn't questioning the term which implies that unlike toriaezunama 'bento' isn't a new term to Aitherans.

Also by your own logic "boxed lunch" also doesn't make sense since it's being served as dinner.

Dex-chan lover

They're kinda fuzzy on which izakaya came first, but I do recall a passing mention of stories from visitors reaching the proprieter of [Gen], about the existence of [Nobu] in another city. It's been awhile though, so I don't even remember what chapter that was.

Dex-chan lover
They're kinda fuzzy on which izakaya came first, but I do recall a passing mention of stories from visitors reaching the proprieter of [Gen], about the existence of [Nobu] in another city. It's been awhile though, so I don't even remember what chapter that was.
I think it the father of the boy waiter of Gen is one of those who hinted the existence. He is a prominent cook.

Double-page supporter
I understand the locals calling it as Bento since they would know the word from the Izakaya, but it doesn't make sense for these two to call it as such.
That's what I was thinking too. I'm pretty sure the author only uses the word "bento" in the raw because it's a translation for "boxed/packed lunch". I'll probably change it based on context, so if someone is aware of what a "bento" is, I'll translate it as bento while outsiders (ie. Lonbaudt and Benedicta) mention "bento" in the raw, I'll translate it as "packed lunch" until either someone mentions it or if there's an appropriate time to switch "packed lunch" for "bento".

Actually, back in ch 15 when they first made the eel bento, Berthold call it bento normally and wasn't questioning the term which implies that unlike toriaezunama 'bento' isn't a new term to Aitherans.

Also by your own logic "boxed lunch" also doesn't make sense since it's being served as dinner.
I just went back to check chapter 15 and I think the use of "bento" in chapter 15 makes sense since there's a time skip between Helmina mentioning she has an idea and actually selling the boxes. Either Taisho or Shinobu could've brought up bentos and from there, Berthold used the word.

The "boxed lunch served as dinner" thing also does make sense in the context of this chapter since Lonbaudt is looking to ruin the meeting by serving lunch as dinner.

Everything's a little wonky since it's a translation and some words hold more value in Japanese than English and vice versa. I really don't think there's a right or wrong answer. I'll try to make it make some more sense moving forward by considering context and whatnot.

Users who are viewing this thread