Kanojo, Okarishimasu - Vol. 6 Ch. 42 - The Unsuitable Girlfriend 2

Dex-chan lover
@Garrett
Yeah, sadly some TLers / editors feel compelled to bring their own humour into their works. Some just put comments between the panels and some, like in this case, change speech bubbles to make it "funny".

I usually have no problems with the between-the-panels solution, if it doesn't get out of hand. So far I've only have stopped reading the works of one TLer who put like two to three comments per page while having the sense of humour of a mentally impaired 9y/o.

But altering the actual content of the manga, be it by editing speech bubbles or the pictures themselves, in a way that changes the content, that is where I draw the line.

Dex-chan lover
Seriously, MC? The reason you choose to save that girl from being sexually harassed was that you couldn't face Mizuhara if you didn't and not that AN INNOCENT GIRL WAS BEING FUCKING SEXUALLY HARASSED AND THAT'S THE RIGHT THING TO DO?! Holy fucking shit, even when he is being a nice guy, MC is still a fucking asshole.

I'm not even sure why I'm reading this, I hate the MC and now the translation turned into cringey meme garbage. By this point I'm reading each chapter just to get mad.

Supporter
@Narf Yeah, sadly some TLers / editors feel compelled to bring their own humour into their works. Some just put comments between the panels and some, like in this case, change speech bubbles to make it "funny".

Yeah, but enough about SHAFT. ?
Seriously, I'm grateful for the translation, but mistranslating for humor (even if it is background characters) means we may not be able to trust that they're accurately translating the main characters. ( ; _ ; )

I would stop reading and pray someone else picks it up -- but unfortunately, the existence of a not-absolutely-joke translation means other groups are really unlikely to redo it.

Please, guys... I don't think most of us would mind at all if you insert comments between the panels. We have the choice to not read those. We don't have a choice about reading the actual script you're using, other than "Don't read the manga at all". You started translating in order to share a manga you like with others. Is mistranslating for humor worth ruining the manga for others instead?

Hi Guys, Proofreader for KanoKari here!

We changed those bubbles as a harmless joke, because we noticed that the author more or less just repeatedd the same thing every time ("hey you're hot" etc), so we though we'd just have a bit of fun with it because they're otherwise completely irrelevant characters and it still conveyed the same meaning . We actually put a lot of time and effort and re-writing into the main script to make sure it's as accurate as physically possible to the source material; we don't take liberties with the important stuff, because then what would be the point in even translating it?

Evidently, it didn't go down well, so we're sorry for that and we'll discuss avoiding changes like that in future.

Hope you're all enjoying the series,

Cheers,

Foampunch.

@Foampunch Glad we got some response!

I think uploading joke translations on April 1st or as a separate release is fine but inserting it into the ''official'' translation without any notice will just make people doubt the accuracy of it and some might even drop the series for it.

But anyway, thank you guys for the great work on the series so far and for properly listening to our feedback!

Personally given the context, fooling around a bit isn't too unreasonable IMO.

My main suggestion would just to be more transparent if lines were changed in the future so it's clear this isn't what the author originally wrote. I mean it does *seem* obvious, but yeah

Supporter
@Foampunch Thank you for the response -- I really hope the result of the discussion will be to not rewrite the original wording in the speech bubbles.

The problem is that even if rewrites are obvious, they still call the rest of the translation into question at best. And in this chapter, they could be significantly changing the plot. Here the background characters directly interact with the main characters, and nuance can be important.

Is MC a wimpy little beta who "saves" her from boring guys hitting on her, or is he a worthless POS who is only willing to "save" her from being dragged off and raped because Mizuhara would be mad?

~~~~~

On a tangent, I wonder if manga are popular in Saudi Arabia. You know, where women aren't supposed to go out except in the company of a male relative (to protect them), it's incumbent on their male relatives to save them, and if women get raped it's their own and/or their relatives' fault for not protecting them. A number of manga plotlines seem to directly support this way of thinking, and I don't know whether KanoKari is one of them or if it was a rewrite.

Dex-chan lover
Holy crap, y'all took this chapter's nonsense way more serious than necessary.
~~~~~~~~~
Anyway, I sure hope we get some more backstory on why Mami is such a undesirable character. Typically these things starts with a kind of revenge , like she didn't get noticed by him and wanted him to suffer once she prettied up.

Dex-chan lover
@Sh4dey
It wasn't the first chapter this happened in. If it was, and as long as it is just background chatter, I would have ignored it. But this is like the third or fourth chapter that had meme text in the background bubbles, so I thought I'd say something.

@Foampunch
Thank you for your response and explanation. Please don't misunderstand, I think you guys are doing a great job with your scanlations and the work you is very much appreciated. I have done a bit of TL work myself back in the day and I know how hard and sometimes repetetive it can be. So you guys have my thanks for doing a great job.

I simply think you overdid it with the meming. Especially in this chapter, where the guys were adressing the MC directly and stuff like "Fight me IRL" was put in... too much, too often. That wasn't even background noise anymore. I hope you folks can decide on using notes between the panels for comic relief (I mostly read them, and sometimes they are really funny or adorable) instead of using speech bubbles in the manga itself.

VIP
MC sure is dislikeable, but i found those girl even more annoying.

"u want sum fuk" and its kin are hilarious, keep them. I keep this followed for 2 things: "u want sum fuk" and the comments.

Also, she bowls with a basketball...why?

Dex-chan lover
As usual autistic screeching in the comment section.
MC's logic isn't wrong Europeans and Asians in general won't get into other people's problems because it's there have been cases where the blame or the ones getting the shaft are the ones who tried to help. For example that's why people have their car with camera to prove with material evidence in case shit happens.

@Foampunch
Please ignore the autism here.

Supporter
What a surprise. The Jet Yau Discord becomes aware that people in the comment section are annoyed by the alt-translated bubbles, and suddenly a few commenters start praising the Jet Yau alt-translated bubbles, and saying that anything but praise is "autistic screeching".

Pretty sure it's a coincidence. (-_-)

@arimareiji

I'm not sure what you're implying? You can see the Discord, we haven't incited any sort of hate or asked people to defend us. I've been very vocal about taking on community criticism, and you've done nothing but act like we're ignoring the community. If you have an issue with us, please say, but I'd appreciate if you didn't imply we're witchhunting.

Supporter
@Foampunch I didn't say you specifically had incited it, and it's not necessary for you specifically to have done so. But it is an odd dark coincidence, if that. And insulated groups these days most certainly do have the tendency to lash out if criticized in any aspect. That's obvious if you listen to partisan news for five minutes.

The true test of your words will be in the long run, and I seriously hope it proves you to be absolutely correct and me to be a cynical jerk. The thing is: These days, anyone can and will say carefully-worded loopholes like "We're listening", "We value your input", "We recognize your feedback and look forward to implementing positive growth opportunities", etc. (I blame corporate PR-speak.) But if their future actions show that if they were listening they didn't particularly care, that's a lot more important than their words.

To be honest, I don't even know where your last accusation comes from. What I've expressed is an issue with a specific (and small) subset of your actions, not you as a person. And "witchhunting"? I don't even know what to say.

Edit: I believe I've expressed a great deal of issue with the trees, but I should speak to the more important matter of the forest. I think you (like the vast majority of scanlators) are a good person at heart, who like any human has a few blind spots. You have a great deal of worth beyond any words of mine, but I can certainly say I'm glad you're around and working to give others an unmerited gift. And I don't think you've incited a coordinated campaign, otherwise the comments would have been more numerous. My concern with the unintended effects of your edits, and with the actions of fans who you have no direct control over, does not take precedence over the fact that your intent is good and your generosity is manifest.

Users who are viewing this thread