Kemono Jihen - Vol. 13 Ch. 49 - Awakening

Dex-chan lover
@daywithoutgames i think you mistaking which one is the fat tanuki wife. his wife is the one who become the navigator, not the smol black haired girl. thats the black haired tanuki (who become gourd) wife. while i get your point its still quite common for 95 kg man having average height woman (not to mention his fat seems to indicate his stored excess energy, so more energy for bed :p )

They being social and having friends is a moot point when those same people directly killed an entire village. Those are not characters that are mean because they say mean thing, but just learn their lesson and go home. These are killers, that took enjoyment in hurting, torturing and killing people.

Hell, in previous chapters are lunatic that got off on killing, mutilating, and inflicting body horror on several humans was just let go by the protagonists because he said that he felt bad and his gf died.. It makes the protagonists feel morally shallow.

Aggregator gang
@Drey Dude, nobody is saying they aren't killers. What is being said is two things though: That the author goes out of their way to humanize them and give them motivations so they aren't exactly conpletely flat. That from a writting standpoint is cool. You don't have to like the characters, that's fine.

The other thing is that NOBODY in the manga is entirely good either, not even the good guys that, as you pointed out, kinda don't give a shit either way as long as they don't touch their stuff. Part of the reason I suspect this is this way is because nobody in the damn manga is actually human (or right in the head, for that matter. Even Mihai seems to have suicidal tendences from living so long).

Kemono Jihen is clearly not a series with a black and white morality, far from it based on what we have seen so far. Is not like, idk, Kimetsu where we had clear heroes that acted the part and villians that had sad pasts almost always.

I guess at this point we are better off just focusing on the story and where these set of characters are gonna go rather than them being good enough for us to deem deserving to live. Personally I would laugh my ass off If Kaede survives because Akagi suicides for him (kinda like Hinata did for Robara). Mostly because I want to see people get pissy about it.

Both dying would do for me as well but uhh yeah I doubt they are making it alive.

Shonen mangas have this absurd moral compass were commiting a small genocide is barely aknowledged and given almost the same importance and discussion, if no less, than the tragic childhood of said mass killers.

Then again this is a manga aimed at teenagers, with alpaca robots and lolis (ugh), so just simulating a grey morality will do. I am putting more thought on this than the author ever did.

@A-tan

I dont think Akagi would risk his ideal world for Kaede. He would try to use Kaede to get to his goal all the way until the end. But Akagi would die either way since he's still injured and has a death flag.

Aggregator gang
@Something3464 I'm kinda curious about this, actually. We got a somewhat vague love confession from Akagi a few chapters back when he was narrating his life or something for whatever reason (death flag???). It would be a matter of how much he cares for Kaede to do something If he sees him in danger, this time not having a contingency plan from Robara and the glue gun. or maybe he is a coward and lets him die lmfao

@Drey Yeah, is not that deep. Shounen manga aren't for the most part written smart, is more of a pure calorie content. Some are better than others, sure, but you shouldn't expect much than what you get lol You can always choose to be positive about the things it does right tho.

@A-tan what kind of "death flag" are you seeing on Akagi? (Sorry I haven't been paying much attention)

But also yeah I am happy that the author spent effort on the backstory of every character in the story and gives them more complex routes and options that just one big bad org vs one big good org. Makes you identify, root or hate, for every character more than just "go good guys defeat evil" and scroll by shonen that are by and large the majority.

Kaede is definitely sociable (if you see chapter 48 when he can just respond casually to a stranger commenting on his looks in the plane). He's also a sociopath with no qualms to murder and destroy others. Both of these can coexist. Him and Akagi are right now the most interesting characters in the story to me, along with Nobimaru. That said, I would like for the author to sometime expand on Inugami's backstory too

Aggregator gang
@turtle11 Well, is just the random bit of him recalling his past, how he joined the police and why, and his feelings for Kaede that screamed "is clip for mans" to me. In general I found that random flashbacks coming from villians, tends to equal death in their near future. Who knows tho, maybe we get surprised and the one to die isn't neither of those 3.

As for the rest: Yes, exactly. That's exactly what I was saying, and why I appreciate the work the author put into her side characters regardless of them being morally good or not. It shows to me she cares about telling a story with characters rather than forcing cheap morals on what's right or not.

I also very much enjoy these two. Kaede once again reminds me of the fact kemono live with impulses that sometimes they can't control (something we are introduced to on day 1 of this series), and otherwise could have lived a peaceful life among humans. I find it rather tragic, in a sense. Not only for him but in general for all kemono who end up doing fucked up shit to other kemono or humans.

Also same on Nobimaru and Inugami. But we will probably see more of them later.

Group Leader
@Drey
>complains about the protagonist being “””morally shallow”””
>protagonist is a kid and not even human

Sorry that he’s not your rock solid morally simplistic hero like Kimetsu, and that the cognitive dissonance you get from having your moral compass challenged leads you to write it off as “morally shallow” because thinking is hard.

I suggest sticking w/ simple shounens bud, something like this might be outta your league.

I'm not going to be one of those people who says "if you don't like it , then don't read it, you don't have to say it's bad" because I know that those are the kind of people everyone hates. Instead, I'm going to be shamelessly immature and worse than that. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT THEN DON'T FUCKING COMMMENT ON IT ASSHOLES. I DON'T WANT TO HEAR YOUR SHITTY OPINIONS ABOUT SOMETHING I LIKE, SO PISS OFF.

I have caught up, I really tried not to, pain. Kon is Kon! Awww Kon heard Kabane when he visited her. Since when could Kaede heal or did he sear his arm back on with his fire? I can't see her winning this alone since she was asleep for a while, though in the flashback Inari said something about waiting for Kons power to get strong enough to eat her.

@Zenoslash

Reading comprehension is not your thing, otherwise I can't explain why you felt so attacked for me pointing out a perceived flaw in the writing.

Also, if you think that this is not a "simple shounen", then I have a bridge to sell you ...

Group Leader
@Drey I'm just pointing out your inability to see the intentionality behind the MC, who literally doesn't give a shit about whether or not these antagonists are "evil". The story doesn't portray these antagonists as sympathetic, at least to the reader. Anyone will feel that a psychotic murder that glues people together isn't very sympathetic. But that's obviously intentional by the author. The setting of the fight was literally a meat factory for humans, and the people there were raising humans to eat, yet the cast happily lets them continue their business. There is clearly a difference between the readers sense of morality versus the morality of non-humans.

And I'm not saying that it isn't a simple shounen. I'm saying that the problem you have with it is very obviously not an actual problem and belays the fact that you can't think critically. And I mean, if you're having trouble understanding, as you put it, "a simple shounen" like this, well... XD

I see the intentionality, I still disagree with it and find it distateful, on top of being badly handled since it implies an hilariously incoherent sense of morality by the protagonists. Precisely because I am not a tool a try to engage with what I read beyond just accepting it. Sometimes they act like normal people, and find certain act repugnant, sometimes they just let serial killers go, and the implications are subtly ignored by the writing. That annoys me.

"Lol, they are fantasy characters, is intentional anyway" is the dumbest fucking justifications for it. And then there is you, who decided to add to that some insults.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the translation, i hope you guys translate chaper 50 and 51 soon, is really hype right now!

Users who are viewing this thread