Kenja no Mago

Why can’t I get enough of this, I know that it’s a bad manga. It’s like some form of guilty pleasure

This manga is alright. It isn't perfect but its alright... It's hardly an isekai they talk about it for about 1 1/4 chapters and never mention it again. The main thing I can see the characters falling down the "holier-than-thou" path and forgiving their enemies for killing hundreds of thousands because, "people treated them wrong."

The writing overall is good, decent characters, plot and development. And the main cast are not complete idiots on the level of self sabotaging cucks you'd see in most isekai.

The big problems tho:
1) It tries to be about "avoid politics" and just one man and his band of friends, except they are strong enough that they are politics. It's realistic, but the mood whiplash makes it jarring to read.
1.5) Similarly, it tries to be both "slice of school life" and some war story (one that's more grimdark than the author intend) and it does not really work. The switching around gets jarring.
2)The villains r total scum, they do exactly what the nobles did to them but to others, making them worse as they at least knew what suffering was. Also, boring.
Their motivations are all over the place, from" for some reason experimenting on foreigners instead of their own countries ppl that they hate", to I am driven by rage, other countries didnt save meh, to apparently i can control my hatred, i'm only in this for survival or generic greed. Boring. The hunter girl band seemed interesting at least.
3) mind control is the most boring element in a story ever invented in history, it is dull to read in every way possible.
4) their combat tactics are complete shit for what kind of power they do have. too many villain stage exits and not enough scouting or assassinating.
5) the trashy romcom gag of interrupting every romance scene, the romance at least progressed, but honestly it's not much better.

TLDR: tries to be both slice-of-life and a war story, doesn't pull it off. the war story is also darker than the author thinks it is

It's kind of a pity, for all the good parts it has, i dont like it enough to follow it.

Aggregator gang
Author should just let MC fight enemies and nuke it all...

What a waste of time

Banned
LONG chapters. Lots of content. This is a good thing. Not exactly super groundbreaking nor engaging... though having an entire group of kids get OP and not just one is new.

Does it get better after chapter 17?

90% of the content so far is “MC does some OP thing, everyone sucks his dick about it, rinse and repeat”

So far it’s just so bad that I can’t subject myself to anymore of it or I’m gonna end up putting a bullet through my brain.

Also, side note for a manga that is so surface level and light hearted it feels so out of place for there to be a scene where someone is gruesomely sawed in half.

I think this manga improve from chapter to another chapter .. i love easy comedy tho and supportive character to ML .. i also love that The ML have weakness point now

why do some think the MC keeps gettin better? at first its good but as the story goes by the MC cant learn from his past encounter and mistakes. tf the story keeps getting dumber. sad.

Dex-chan lover
Why is this manga tagged "Gore"? There is no detailed depiction of such anywhere in it, as far as I remember.

a classic blend of way too serious plot mixed with childish slapstick comedy, why the fuck do mangas try so hard to be both funny and serious? It never works out and it definitely doesn't work out here.

It's incredibly boring. Started off ok, but with these last couple of chapters or so I've found myself clicking through real quick just to find out what happens. The politics are a bore and are way too prevalent in every chapter, each fight is completely uneventful, none of the characters seem to have an IQ over 70, and it does an extremely poor job of balancing the whole slice of life/wartime story it's going for.

I dont get why the more powerful demons are just waiting at the castle after they find out they were played. Like just GTFO and let the thrash get obliterated , maybe even plant some info about the capital being the right place. Why keep getting played knowingly and then get obliterated by your enemy that you know are coming for fuck shit up

Dex-chan lover
Real question, here..
Throughout this manga, and many other manga, combatants will say something along the lines of "I'll fight you seriously, now" and I am utterly confused.
In rhe US military (and to some degree culture) when somebody is going to try to hurt or kill you, your level of combat application should be total. They gonna hurt or kill you, you 100% kill their ass. You don't "sweep the leg," you don't slap their face, you don't f*ck around. You drop their ass, and they do NOT EVER get back up, and you do it 100% from the beginning.
Is this a cultural difference? That's my real question: I'd it a cultural difference, or just a fun trope?
(I'm good with "fun trope;" I'm just curious)

@Seraphus More of a trope, mostly implying that their previous opponents were not worth going all out.
After all, even if you have one you, don't need a verry big lawnmower to cut a mere 1m² of grass. But when you now face 200m² of grass it may be time to unleash your full lawn-mowing skills.

If you want a good counter-example I can recommend this manga.

Dex-chan lover
@LeProfDtri
Thanks, I'll check it out!
And I figured it might be a trope, it's just weird to me; when it's your own life in the line, I figure you go 100% and just drop them so hard they bounce twice.
But I already know I'm a weirdo... 🤣

@Seraphus That only makes sense if you know you won't have another fight afterwards. They're using a level of power they can maintain consistently through the duration of the assault. Going all out on every fight will just make them exhausted. And this typically extends into other general applications of the trope.

Users who are viewing this thread