King's Concubine

Wtf how is there an empire that can sacrifice 500 nobles yet needs to sacrifice 500 nobles. And why would the sacrifices give any shits about them?

Alternative title: 500 maidens worth of Stockholm Syndrome.

I get what the author is going for:
- The "good" humans aren't as good as they think they are.
- The "bad" demon aren't as bad as the humans think.
- Basically the same two points above, but from a demon, as opposed to a human, perspective.

There are a few problems with this:
- The girls' supposed "freedom" among the demons is only in the form of slightly less oppression. *
- The "freedom" was achieved at the cost of being kidnapped and forced to marry.
- The one who ordered the kidnapping is shown to not really care for it at all. *
- Most of the demons they're forced to marry show disdain, or even hatred, for humans. *
- The heroines are shown to fall in love with the ones chosen as husbands for them whilst all of these issues are ongoing.

Sure, I expect the issues marked with an asterisk to be resolved eventually, and both demons and humans are shown to be prejudiced against one another; but the last point is the clinching issue for me: I just can't accept some kind of faux-Romeo-and-Juliet lovestory whilst none of the other issues are resolved. It just feels like a massive Stockholm-Syndrome party, and is, IMHO, quite abhorrent.

If I were to give prescriptive advice to the author I'd tell him to take it easy with the romantical elements in the beginning (very important), and to show the demon side as well, so as to more clearly show that the prejudice goes both ways (slightly less important, as he already has the heroines overhear/notice things that show the demons reconsidering their prejudice against humans), and to then reduce and resolve the prejudice from both ends simultaneously (very important, although he probably already plans to do this).

@quert458

Firstly, Stockholm syndrome is a heavily debated coping mechanism observed when captives learn to sympathize with their captors. It is not exactly easy to diagnose. We tend to think that it is where some evil villain mercilessly bullies the captive. The truth is, in the original case in Stockholm Sweden the captor did not actually harm the captives, he merely held the psychological threat over their heads. Evidence seems to show he was actually really nice to them. So I must say that every abusive relationship is an example of Stockholm syndrome. But that's only one view. What the media mostly calls Stockholm Syndrome today is when the victim is constantly getting abused, but the smallest act of kindness is enough for the victim to see the humanity in their abuser. So there is some debate on it.

Secondly, this manwha is just badly written. The pacing is off, the dialogue is bad, and there is no explanation for new developments half the time. I mean I'm sorry. I'm at chapter 14, and Rupia is suddenly shown to be adept in magic - I mean she can fly, and I'm just in a little shock here.

So here's my explanation for why Rupia is hiding her powers from the readers. So you see, it's like eavesdropping on your mom's conversation and you only hear one half. And you know the conversation is juicy because your mom is exclaiming and yelling all the time. But you bottle your frustration because unfortunately you can only hear one end of the conversation. This manhwa expects you to only hear one end and be all excited when a major development happens. WELL GUESS WHAT MANHWA! I'M NOT INTERESTED IN MOM'S CONVERSATION! I'M DONE!

Anyways back to stockholm syndrome. So I cannot say it's stockholm syndrome. A lot of things happen that we don't see. Maybe the demons did something legitimately nice off camera and that's why our MCs are nice to them now. Or maybe our MCs are just two faced idiots but in the case that the manga pacing is the only thing off, I'm still dropping this because either its the characters or the pacing that is confusing.

Dunno if anybody answered the ch4 question, but it's Solo Leveling's shadow-summons. (for the record, it annoys the crap outta me that they call it necromancy when all the guy does is make shadow versions of them.... either they're darkness elemental spirits, or they're necro'd wraiths. Pick one. Stop mixing up shit that shouldn't be.)

Okay. Thanks God, the king is most likeable from them all, still kinda arrogant, but nothing unbearable from his side. I just hope that they would switch the focus from the side characters to the main couple

Dex-chan lover
The best presentation of Stockholm syndrome. Take it as a compliment.

Aggregator gang
I just read a few early chapters, but I think this plot looks like that hentai plot when a women became a cattles of other race, but with a mellow and dramatic storytelling not a hardcore like in the most hentai ntr series. But still a few of those 500 women must have already a fiancee or lover with their childhood friend or something like that, so that means it's really is taken by force right like in ntr series?. Is there any new conflict or maybe human attacking demon world because of lack of young female or maybe revenge from some man because their lover taken? I've just read until ch 15 and wait a bit longer for ch50 or maybe more so i will not taken by the cliffhanger.

😳 doki doki (ღ˘⌣˘ღ) i love this comics... I wish the girls will be given a chance to choose to stay or go back to their home.

Fed-Kun's army
Kind of reads like a role reversal of Phantom Paradise. Has similar story beats (much more light hearted) but is missing some character depth and is angonizingly slow paced. Much more contained story as well.

Users who are viewing this thread