Koushaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta node, Mental Otome na Ore wa, Zenryoku de Onnanoko wo Tanoshimimasu - Ch. 13.1 - The tea party with the princ…

Dex-chan lover
People who don't know - :meguu:

People who know - :smug:
People keep posting about it in every thread, so I think everyone (except mc) knows by now. But that is also why the dialogue is still mostly about his perspective of things - because he doesn't get to see the spoilers.

Also, lol at both categories being "happy anime girl" :D

Dex-chan lover
Vis-a-vis the spoiler?

Yep.
That's why Miranda sees the prince so femininely; he was a girl once
well well well
sgW3MEg4DJH3i.webp

so how did she die then?

Has something happened to the translation? It feels off the rails at the moment. The tone of the character's thoughts in this chapter do not match those of the previous chapters. There's a lot of slang being used here that people in this setting wouldn't use, despite the character being reborn here and living here for a good number of years. The lines are akin to someone who only recently arrived in this world rather than someone who has been living here for 13 years.

Dex-chan lover
But also remember that he was also described to have a girlfriend (I think? might misremember). So by the info we have been given (and literary rules [words] show everything relevant and only what's relevant [words]) this is a large shift in inclinations (assuming the last page's note is sexual in nature, and not just wanting to dress someone up for fun. But really feels like author is setting up a romance here).
But also remember the type of society Japan has traditionally been, and that if you're male, you'd be pressured like crazy to find a girlfriend. Even if you don't want one.

Dex-chan lover
After reading this manga for few years, i don't even remember ... myself?

Aggregator gang
That last statement is pretty insane considering this is a 'middle aged man' speaking

To be fair, we don't clearly know if her hormones and brain development may be affecting his/her thoughts in any way shape or form, for example, Myne from the Manga Ascendance of A Bookworm acts and behaves as a child, yet when she was on Earth she was a young adult before getting isekai'd (17 or 18 years old, I don't recall)

The general accepted idea in such cases is that A: Both souls merged and changed their personality and thoughts B: The underdeveloped body, brain and hormones end up physically impacting the personality and behavior on a chemical level C: Both A and B together.

To be fair, we don't clearly know if her hormones and brain development may be affecting his/her thoughts in any way shape or form, for example, Myne from the Manga Ascendance of A Bookworm acts and behaves as a child, yet when she was on Earth she was a young adult before getting isekai'd (17 or 18 years old, I don't recall)

The general accepted idea in such cases is that A: Both souls merged and changed their personality and thoughts B: The underdeveloped body, brain and hormones end up physically impacting the personality and behavior on a chemical level C: Both A and B together.
Or D) She was never a middle aged man (Which is pretty crystal clear at this point)

Dex-chan lover
Or D) She was never a middle aged man (Which is pretty crystal clear at this point)
While I do think brjoaoed presents some very interesting things to think about (and it's a really cool take), yeah. D) is pretty much what the story is strongly suggesting. Miranda was a maiden even in her past life and she definitely is now.

Would love to see the tensei subgenre of isekai delve more into psychological and identity complexity, though. There's just so much more meat being left on the bone than most works are willing to chew on.

Dex-chan lover
While I do think brjoaoed presents some very interesting things to think about (and it's a really cool take), yeah. D) is pretty much what the story is strongly suggesting. Miranda was a maiden even in her past life and she definitely is now.

Would love to see the tensei subgenre of isekai delve more into psychological and identity complexity, though. There's just so much more meat being left on the bone than most works are willing to chew on.
I guess that will be debunked
when she teaches the prince how to fap

Dex-chan lover
Remember, the title is "Mental Otome". As in, even as a middle-aged guy she already had the heart of a maiden. She said as much from the jump. I'm not saying that to push any kind of political agenda I might have, just... that's kind of how I think the story is meant to be read.
(nor do I think the author had intended kind of serious message aside from "isn't she much cuter now that the outside matches?" -- which yes, she does in my opinion ❤️)

But yes, coming from a mental otome those last few lines don't feel wrong. She's still a young girl, even with her quirky origins. It's not weird she wants to dress up an adorable boy!
I think the real problem is the "middle-aged" part for me. Dressing up someone's kid that is not a family member or somehow related is... weird.

Dex-chan lover
Remember, the title is "Mental Otome". As in, even as a middle-aged guy she already had the heart of a maiden. She said as much from the jump. I'm not saying that to push any kind of political agenda I might have, just... that's kind of how I think the story is meant to be read.
(nor do I think the author had intended kind of serious message aside from "isn't she much cuter now that the outside matches?" -- which yes, she does in my opinion ❤️)

But yes, coming from a mental otome those last few lines don't feel wrong. She's still a young girl, even with her quirky origins. It's not weird she wants to dress up an adorable boy!
He doesn't literally have a heart of a maiden. He just has the hobbies of a "maiden", which in this case an "otome" (virgin girl) who consumes nerdy stuff, sometimes rotten even. Like you know the term "otome game"?

Wanting to dress up an adorable boy is on par with shotacons really. I bet he used to watch baseball anime not because he likes baseball.

The reason why he is still a he to me is because he never forgets that he's an ojisan. He could have fully embraced his new identity, but he hasn't. I suppose it being a borrowed identity is one part of it, like playing an RPG. For the most part, he's only taking advantage of his hobbies being socially acceptable in his new form.

Dex-chan lover
"Mental Otome". Just as keikaku.

Translation note: "Otome" means maiden and "keikaku" means plan.

It's right there, in the title. The mental gymnastics required to deny it when it's literally in the title and professed by the protagonist herself would impress the Psychonauts. The fact you're not comfortable with the ideas the premise is presenting doesn't change what the premise is. Not even in subtext, but literal text. In the literal title and out of the protagonist's own mouth.

You're still welcome to your interpretation of course, that's always valid, but that isn't gonna change what's being presented. You'll just have to deal if it makes you uncomfortable if others take what's in the text at face value.

EDIT: Quick tangent. Like I replied to the person below, though, I won't deny that Miranda is very weird. And being part ojisan due to her own past definitely makes her a different girl than most. In Japan, they call them "TS girls". It's a whole gap moe thing, like with Mahiro Oyama from Onimai. The fact she used to be an old guy is meant to enhance her cute appeal as a girl, esp. when she thinks or acts in a way that contradicts it. Just sharing this in case it helps you see Miranda's cuteness.

Last edited:
Contributor
She was a graduate and had just got her first job, which was something of a miracle because she was barely functional as a member of society.

Users who are viewing this thread