Koushaku Reijou no Tashinami - Vol. 7 Ch. 55

Dex-chan lover
Oh boy, chewing them out. Isn't that exactly what she did? In a church, no less.

Dex-chan lover
@Red225 Retaining them would leave questionable entities within your organization. It is not something you'd want. But you're right that it'll solve the immediate manpower issue.

As for reputation: Execution would be too far, the common punishment for something like this would be to throw them into the dungeons and have them rot there. While you might believe that is still too much, it's important to remember that these are subjects serving a lord. Not citizen employees working for merchants or whatever. Their families would not associate with them, and defending them would further ruin themselves, because publicly, their crimes are clear and they acted against a decent lord, which disgraces them further. Based on their jobs, it's safe to assume they're not of high standing, so they do not have the authority or influence to cause trouble. Major enemy houses will not take the risk to support them, because frankly, they have no value, and they're within MC's territory. It is also not easy to migrate to another territory in such times. If by chance, they managed to reach another noble's lands, they also won't necessary be hired, even if it's a faction hostile to MC's house, because while it's useful to gather people that hate your enemy, it is more important to not associate with disgraced individuals, especially ones that have outright defied their lord.

So, to the public, it'll just be a few lesser nobles/commoners committed a crime and got sent to jail, case closed, forgotten.

@duderus It's not her grandfather on her mother's side (the general), but the grandfather on her father's side died.

Fed-Kun's army
Given what both Iris and others said during this chapter, I think I understand why these guys "deserted" rather than "resigned", which may be the crux of the issue.

As Iris herself lampshades, she's a young girl that only recently has been in charge of the fiefdom and they were wondering if Louis would get back from the capital. Basically, they knew a time when the administrator was another person, and probably expected another person to replace her during the church crisis. It didn't happen but, as lampshaded in this very chapter, Iris' and the fiefdom's reputation and numbers haven't recovered yet.

While I agree that it would be fair and satisfying to punish the deserters, I also agree with those (including Iris herself) that point out it would be counterproductive. Their reputation is still in a delicate position, the church's plot was shot down but there are factions out there still waiting for an opportunity, and they need the manpower.

Iris did a good job here. Practically speaking, she persuaded her (talented?) employees back to work and maintained a decent reputation as an employer so that she can recruit more people. I would’ve liked to see some punishment but that would just drive the employees away.

She did a good job in addressing the issue, but has done nothing at all to address the issue that caused them to hide in their homes.

Theyre grown adults that have had previous experience with a failing city. You cant just expect to win over the loyalty of jaded individuals when you're accused of heresy and opposed by legitimate rulers of the country. The fact they just hid in their homes is demonstration of their loyalty to their responsibility (instead of using their positions to liquidate/flee) and an indicator that MCs speech would work at all.

These people aren't part of the inner circle and have only been exposed to only a portion of the new government. Their own experience as citizens also only shows a few years of economic growth after a considerable period of economic disaster. These people are already skittish.

Dex-chan lover
I abandoned my chair yesterday for some time. I feel ashamed now. I should have sat in it longer to read more manga. I should have shielded my brain from the outside world with my chair's position inside the room, with the blinds closed.

@Avrune the others are being punished but Iris didn't said explicitly what kind of punishment.. well, it's smart way to scare and "motivate" them. Though this method will leave bad (mostly) & good impressions to her image as fief lord 😶

Dex-chan lover
@UnluckyGrape 'lost citizenship by deserting'? peculiar concept, sound like serfdom to me. If she doesn't want them bcs they are untrustworthy, why threaten them with violence to make them stay??? If I was the boss, I would not want to keep them either way.

Fed-Kun's army
Wow, she sent shivers to grown adults! I feel like saying “Damn! The villainess is back”😈
😅Though I do know, she’s doing this in public interest!

This chapter felt a little over dramatic.

As for punishment...they specifically said, many of them went to other fiefs. Even with her name cleared, she is still under restrictions, so I doubt that she will be able to pull them back to punish them. The ones who didn't go to other fiefs likely have the ability to leave if they think she will have them punished.

If she lost that much manpower during the denunciation, I'm not sure she would even have enough people to carry through with any punishment, other than confiscating their lands or any stock they may have in her companies.

Dex-chan lover
@IMACOP
I feel i need to point out that serfdom was actually not very common during the middle ages of western europe (that's not to say it didn't happen, but it was uncommon and usually happened during times of war or famine, it also rarely existed on a lifetime scale, and serfdom had a tendency to cause revolts which made it somewhat of a last resort for all but the most corrupt), but was still practiced in some areas east of the rhine, such as what is now russia.

That said serfdom wouldn't apply here, like in current times, being a civil servant comes with certain rules and restrictions as well as benefits, if you desert on a civil servants job (depends on the type of job), you can be punished for it, in particular if you are in the military (because of the structure of a fief, this would apply military restrictions commonly used today as it would weaken the overall structure of the fief), while this rarely did result in executions if it was very egregious, it usually resulted in something similar to a dishonorable discharge (which essentially would mean getting a job in a fief or sometimes even a empire being near impossible),the loss of property, land and sometimes citizenship, depending on how difficult the times were it could also very rarely lead to slavery but again this was pretty rare, generally speaking desertion almost always came with a penalty, flat out.

Users who are viewing this thread