Kusunoki-san Failed to Debut in High School - Vol. 1 Ch. 1

Dex-chan lover
I had some hopes when I put it in my to-read pile, but this looks like predictable trash.

• loser MMC is a loser only because he lacks confidence, which manifests in ridiculous ways
  • gorgeous FMC is shy and also lacks confidence in spite of the way everyone now fawns all over her
  • former tormentor shows up and will likely be interested in the MMC while potentially not even remembering him when he reveals his identity, setting her up as a shallow easy rival for main girl because complex characters are too much trouble for these stories
  • the two leads will be dense idiots as "friends" and push to the point of basically being in a relationship that everyone can see, but they won't becuase "no no no I can't be in a relationship because who would like someone like me?" and all that even though the solid basis of their friendship-to-not-relationship is the fact that each is the only person the other can be their usual self around is drowned out by the constant social pressure that their usual, real self is an unlikable loser who doesn't deserve happiness unless they follow the crowd.
  • while the story ultimately pushes a "find someone who accepts you for you" moral, which is good, it gets there by also pressing the positives and benefits of "if other people don't like you then it's your responsibility to change everything about yourself to fit in" which is hypocritical and backhanded
  • The story then drags this basic premise out until it gets axed, at which point the final 3 pages of the final chapter end with the MMC confessing his feelings, the FMC accepting, the rival girl swearing she won't be beaten, and the promise that their relationship will continue, by which the author means it will start because characters in actual relationships are kryptonite to manga authors everywhere.

Putting this on hold with no alerts to check back in a few months to see how far off the mark I end up.

Dex-chan lover
Damnnn, @Darkshade13 those are quite some points. I'll add one more
  • When the story is near end or axed, MMC and FMC are going to go separate ways before they can confess. Then, they realize their feelings shortly after, regret it. Or it happens the other way around. And then, its going to be that ass pull timeskips, then their relationship can finally begins.
I still have a bit of hope tho. Hopefully this can be turned out good.

Anyhow, thanks for the translation Better than nothing scans! This is actually a gud scanlation!

Double-page supporter
Keisuke was nyat fed by Shizuka, meowhat a pity. They got the first nyame basis nyat least.
Thanks for nye translation, nya~!

Double-page supporter
I had some hopes when I put it in my to-read pile, but this looks like predictable trash.

• loser MMC is a loser only because he lacks confidence, which manifests in ridiculous ways
  • gorgeous FMC is shy and also lacks confidence in spite of the way everyone now fawns all over her
  • former tormentor shows up and will likely be interested in the MMC while potentially not even remembering him when he reveals his identity, setting her up as a shallow easy rival for main girl because complex characters are too much trouble for these stories
  • the two leads will be dense idiots as "friends" and push to the point of basically being in a relationship that everyone can see, but they won't becuase "no no no I can't be in a relationship because who would like someone like me?" and all that even though the solid basis of their friendship-to-not-relationship is the fact that each is the only person the other can be their usual self around is drowned out by the constant social pressure that their usual, real self is an unlikable loser who doesn't deserve happiness unless they follow the crowd.
  • while the story ultimately pushes a "find someone who accepts you for you" moral, which is good, it gets there by also pressing the positives and benefits of "if other people don't like you then it's your responsibility to change everything about yourself to fit in" which is hypocritical and backhanded
  • The story then drags this basic premise out until it gets axed, at which point the final 3 pages of the final chapter end with the MMC confessing his feelings, the FMC accepting, the rival girl swearing she won't be beaten, and the promise that their relationship will continue, by which the author means it will start because characters in actual relationships are kryptonite to manga authors everywhere.

Putting this on hold with no alerts to check back in a few months to see how far off the mark I end up.
This will be exactly how it goes with manga like these, it's too predictable at this point lol.

Dex-chan lover
from what i know of manga tropes the dark-hair girl is a hyper-tsun who secretly liked him the whole time
Always has been... Also, the very typical one would be.... A blonde-hair girl with either twin tails or pig tails...

Users who are viewing this thread