Kusuriya no Hitorigoto - Vol. 8 Ch. 39 - Balsam and Wood Sorrel (Part 3)

Damn.. I'm weak as pudding when it comes Maomao in kid age.... Happiness all over the place...

Dex-chan lover
@Luke_chase

This one is the alternative version. The other one was published first. It's just that no one had translated it until now.

As for why this version exists. Probably because some editor thought a more loli-like version of Mao Mao would sell better.

alternate version ? dif plot or just dif art ? bc honestly i love maomao how she is rn

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PICKING UP THE OTHER VERSION!!!! I really love this so thank you so much for translating both of them.

Dex-chan lover
@1idd0kun now that is a shit take lmao. pretty sure it's just because the art is objectively better, it's cleaner (better lines, better anatomy, shading, etc)

Dex-chan lover
i guess the reason for 2 manga adaptions is :

the light novel 's copyright holder sold the copyright to 2 different manga magazines , so we have 2 manga adaptions .

in this way , more money for the light novel publisher .

Double-page supporter
Holy shit. This was such a fun read. Reading from the beginning up until this chapter was a lot of fun.
10/10

Dex-chan lover
page 1 : it is weird that the possessive jinshi let mao mao hanging out with a young , handsome boy , what if they fall in love with each other ? lol .

Ok let me get this straight:

Fon Shen knows Rakan can't afford to redeem her and she will be bought sooner or later. Fon Shen devise her own plan to devalue herself by losing her virginity to Rakan.

Rakan and Fon Shen have sex and Fon Shen gets pregnant with Mao Mao. Rakan doesn't know about this as he is sent to war soon.

Fon Shen who got pregnant, lost her value but decided to raise Mao Mao, since Mao Mao is a love child with Rakan and wants Rakan to see his daughter when he comes back. Fon Shen is happy beause she is devalued and pregnant, she only needs to wait for Rakan to buy her when he comes back.

Rakan has no news of this and has not been in contact for 3 years. During this time, Fon Shen is now depressed that she had been abandoned by him and decided to sell herself to save the brothel which raised her. Due to syphilis, her health worsens and her mind is degrades. She is being taken care of by the brothel since she basically saved the brothel with her body.

Rakan comes back after 3 years and finally sees the letter and her finger, realizing what had transpired. Basically everyone at the brothel blames him for what happened because they thought he ran after making Fon Shen pregnant and skip town to avoid responsibility. The granny/brothel doesn't tell him anything about where Fon Shen is or anything about Mao Mao. Rakan is a broken man.

Rakan happened to see Mao Mao one day and immediately recognize her due to her similarities with Fon Shen. And also saw his uncle who is taking care of her as a foster father.

Rakan then decided to be ambitious and retake his seat as the noble family head in order to make himself worthy to take back Mao Mao. He still doesn't know that Fon Shen is alive and mentally degraded.

Not sure why Mao Mao wouldn't tell Rakan about her mother until now.

Is that about right?

A few holes in this story though. If Rakan knew his uncle is taking care of Mao Mao, then there is no reason why Mao Mao and her step father is living in a hut. Rakan is already an accomplished official at this time. If he really cared for his daughter, you would think that he would at least made sure they would have enough to live comfortably.

The fact that Fon Shen is still alive and not one person in the brothel told Rakan seemed hard to believe. Perhaps it is the last wish of Fon Shen to not want anything to do with him anymore and as respect, everyone held their tongue. But come on, the lower tier or newer ladies or assistant would probably loosen their lips if Rakan would reward them but they probably don't know the history of Fon Shen as well as Mei Mei and Granny.

@saudagarbeta oh hey that's true lol and here I was thinking how bittersweet the chapter was... yeah if Rakan really wanted to repair his relationship with Mao Mao maybe he should have provided support and visited her from time to time ... and yes also with the Fon Shen secret lol why'd they keep it under wraps tho? or unless granny wanted to keep fon shen in the brothel because she thinks of her as a daughter? felt guilty? or was just plain vindictive? hmmm...

@saudagarbeta
losing her virginity
We don't know if she was still virgin or not. It was the pregnancy that diminished her value as a courtesan, not so much the loss of virginity.
saved the brothel with her body
No. The brothel lost its biggest source of revenue because of her. Since she lost her high-class courtesan status, she was forced to sell her body to make a living, earning way lower than she used to. The brothel still suffered financially for quite some time until the "big three" courtesans (Maomao's sisters) took her place and started making big bucks.
he would at least made sure they would have enough to live comfortably
Knowing them, he probably already offered but got refused. Maomao was traumatized of him after all. Why would she want to live with him?

@Bubublacz
he should have provided support and visited her from time to time
He did visit her. And he got hit with a broom every single time for his trouble. It's literally in this very chapter.

@momamo lol I realized that when I typed it but was too lazy to delete it.. then I find myself typing more to say that I knew it 😅

There’s an alt version? Why? Ill try reading it, though Im not too sure about the art in it

Thank you so much for picking up the other version !!!! and thanks for the chapter as per usual hehe

Fed-Kun's army
!!! omg thank you for picking up the other version too!! i was hoping someone would!! i've been waiting for so long~ while i prefer the art in this one i can't get enough of this story hahah I WANT EVERY VERSION OF IT!!! thank yoooou!!! <3333

Users who are viewing this thread