Lamia Orphe Is Dead - Ch. 35 - Wish

askdjfkks is there anyone kindly give me spoilers so i have reason to not drop this one šŸ˜©šŸ˜©

I'm still curious abt the mystery but wtf it is just me or the author dont give us hint properly?? god i'm not understand the story, the character purpose, arrghhh jist dunno

i'm so dumb yeah ik, i jusy want to rant šŸ˜”

Aquila deserved that slap, he fix his issues with Uri and now I want to see a good development in the romance because he has to wins Lamia's heart.

This series is such a fascinating outlier in Korean webcomics, mainly because it seems to be actively trying to make the audience dislike its main characters for their immoral values and actions. Aquila almost seems like a deconstruction of the dark, brooding ML you see in many otome isekai stories ā€” you know, the guy who's massacred hundreds, is cold and cruel to his subordinates, but has an unlikely soft spot for our FL that is supposed to make us forgive or even like him for the first two points? Those stories usually reconcile the "vicious killing machine" and "ideal romantic partner" sides of the ML by downplaying or justifying the former; but here, the FL can't just ignore or write off his cruel side because he deliberately hurt someone she loves. The only way to reconcile the two dissonant sides of Aquila is to conclude that there are/were literally two different Aquilas from two different timelines. There seem to be two different Lamias as well, though Lamia herself doesn't know it. She's a lot like your typical "villainess" character in that she's a Strong Independent Womanā„¢, motivated by revenge/justice, and vindictive towards treacherous servants/subordinates regardless of their circumstances. The latter quality is often lauded in FLs as being "badass" Girlboss behavior; but here, the maid who was killed clearly deserved empathy and could have been saved. It's also hard to fall back on the Girlboss excuse when her actions are consistently reinforced by a patriarch (her father) and are functionally robbing her of power.

Basically, though circumstances are still convoluted and we don't know much yet, I don't think Aquila and Lamia are that much more morally reprehensible than your typical noble ML and FL. It really comes down to how their actions are framed. Instead of minimizing the values dissonance inherent to this type of story, the author is really reveling in how mean and self-serving these kinds of privileged characters would really be, and how their various motivations have little to no altruistic basis. I don't blame anyone for being frustrated, but I wouldn't write it off as bad writing just yet. There are definitely some plotting and pacing problems, but I think it still might surprise us with a good twist.

Edit: I was kind of unclear when I talked about "two different timelines" ā€” there could be multiple timelines in which Aquila is basically a completely different person, but what I'm mostly referring to is how Aquila's cruel behavior vs. his kind behavior are both taken out of the (likely separate) contexts of what happened to 1) make him a dick and 2) make him fall in love and mess with the timeline. Lamia can't reconcile the these two sides of him because she couldn't possibly know the context of either, just as the context of the current timeline has shaped her into someone very different from the woman Aquila fell in love with. I can't tell exactly what kind of time travel rules this series is working with, but I'd personally prefer if the cruel things he said and did to Uri weren't just a ruse to fix Lamia's timeline. It would feel like the series is gaslighting Uri and Lamia by going "hey, actually he's been 100% on your side all along and you guys are unreasonable for disliking him!" instead of holding him accountable for that cruel "version" of himself. I guess what I'm saying is that it's less that there are literally two different Aquilas and more that these characters' contradictory morals/characterizations were shaped by their contradictory circumstances, rather than just being inherently self-contradictory Gary Stus who we're supposed to root for no matter what.

@k_mari Fully agree, at least 'Lamia Orphe Is Dead' tries to set itself apart from the trend currently, I am thoroughly enjoying this absolutely ruthless reality of nobles and their fight for power. The characters feel consistent, I can understand them even if they have done something morally wrong. People don't just change over night, I like that Lamia hates Aquila, I like that Lamia wants him dead, it's not like Aquila has shown any remorse in action until now and Lamia going to the extent of basically killing the maid is consistent to her priorities and how far she would go to make sure they are protected. May the path of redemption for these characters be painful and enlightening.

@K_mari It'd be exciting if there were different timelines and different versions of characters!
Uriel once said how Aquilla could've destroyed the Empire if he wanted, so imagine if Lamia died early and Aquilla became the tyrant, having used his power to win against Ethan. He then threw the Empire into chaos and began shifting timelines to wreck them too, but found that one of them was peaceful and he was happy and in love with with Lamia. So he got jealous, enraged and killed her.
The Aquilla who is shown right now is the one who found her dead and who went to the past to save her then.
IMAGINE THAT LEVEL OF PLOT TWIST hahaha

Wait so does this he broke the brother's hand to change the timeline?? So like lamia died early coz she became a duchess and her brother also probaby died. But now that she isnt a duchess she can probaby stay closer to aquilla as a knight and that way he can protect her?
I'm excited to see if what this is true.
Thanks for the translation!

@peevacorn I've thought about that, however that just seems way too convoluted compared to the theory that Aquila is fucking broken after seeing his waifu die too many times. Him crushing Uri's hand seems to be part of the plan to get Lamia out of the Duke seat anyway, so Aquila overreacting to a slight against him was a move he could take to achieve his goal.
To go off on a tangent, Aquila having the power to overturn the most powerful house in the kingdom second only to his is a major liability not only to the people but also the crown. The military has no need for a weapon they cannot control. He's an unstoppable WMD who can turn back time when he gets an outcome he doesn't like and cannot be physically controlled by any force we know of currently. No one is stopping him from upending the kingdom for his own gain and the people are at the whims of his wants. If he wasn't mentally unstable, this wouldn't be as concerning as it is. Therefore, I don't think he should be surviving by the end of this as he is, he'd either need to be nerfed or clear up his mental state. But, my expectations for Korean anime romance novels are literally zero(0), so I'm not expecting this to be addressed.

@selfiesturluson
'an unstoppable WMD who can turn back time when he gets an outcome he doesn't like and cannot be physically controlled by any force'
nicely described.

I saw a fan translation of ch 37 and I think it's gonna be a while before Lamia stops seeing Aquilla as an enemy. So the author might address it, and despite what some say, I have a lot of hope in them :) I think the writing's very good actually.
But then again, I also had a lot of hope in Tokyo Ghoul and look how it ended :,)

Im glad some of has brains to really understand current situation clearly and not easily forgive the ML. because people can easilly fooled with someone who had a nice face.
As for now, Uriel reaction and decision is justified. He been attacked, mangled and had his family thretened by the same person who had the power who had this ridiculous magical power that can destroy a country. He had PTSD for goodness sake, and just about to recover from it too, and people easily mocked him for being weak because of it. he is a survivor!
He did not do anyone wrong at all. he is honest and kind, judge a person based on the value that he had and not from rumors. At first he like the ML for who he is, until he shattered his trust. As for right now the most evil person in Uriel perception is the prince, because not for the mangling if his arm but for threatening his family.
why suddenly want to make an oath to protect lamia and her family and when he literally make a deadly threat toward the one he said he would protect. If you in uriel situation and believe his sudden changes of attitude and personality, and easily accept the appologize, you are dumb.
Trust had to be earned, and not 'hey i just healed your arm that i mangled earlier and i love your sister so I will not tretened her life anymore so sorry. let pass be in the pass okay!' . would you really believe such person.

Whaaattt... a slap on the face....
Heā€™s a freaking prince, the heck can she slap a prince. And u call that someone who everyone look up to and said should be an heir to a dukedom? I donā€™t get the logic of this story. She could have just stop his hand or pull her bro behind her like a knight. I mean she wanted to be a knight. Sheā€™s a subject to the imperial family. U can slap a prince? I donā€™t get this story.
N boy, u gonna be duke bro. U expect u wonā€™t need to face a prince.
Sorry father duke, your children r incompetent.

Fed-Kun's army
Uri is basically the most reasonable and realistic person in this series. I couldn't give a shit about Lamia, and I only have a slight interest in the 2nd Prince because I wanna know what happened in the previous play through. Uri should never forgive the 2nd prince, even if that was probably before he regressed or w/e happened. Same for Lamia, but Lamia's actions so far are incredibly annoying as a character.

Honestly, if it wasn't my curiosity for hoping that the author would some day soon, show us the previous loops, I would have dropped this buy now, because, all the characters are really unlikeable. So far, the best chapters have been chapter 0-1, where we get a glimpse of the previous loops.

Double-page supporter
what the... the most important part been censored by Uri trauma flash back that we doesn't need... wtf is this.

Dex-chan lover
@k_mari [Basically, though circumstances are still convoluted and we don't know much yet, I don't think Aquila and Lamia are that much more morally reprehensible than your typical noble ML and FL. It really comes down to how their actions are framed. Instead of minimizing the values dissonance inherent to this type of story, the author is really reveling in how mean and self-serving these kinds of privileged characters would really be, and how their various motivations have little to no altruistic basis. I don't blame anyone for being frustrated, but I wouldn't write it off as bad writing just yet. There are definitely some plotting and pacing problems, but I think it still might surprise us with a good twist.
]

you said that right. Its already 35 chapter in, but there is no character that we can symphatize with MC heroine? no cute side, too much flashback, scene without much purpose. Its exactly that, the author or maybe the artist is not paneling the frame right, so there is so minimal interactions between these characters that readers just cant accept the slap or that other slap. I mean why slap? its already a bad twist of anger that come out of nowhere. It doesnt only have pacing problem, but the artist/author have problem on how to tell the story too. He/she cant decide what scene to show so we as readers cant grow to like the characters as I, at least, have already read 36 chapters of this thing and didnt think much of this. At the very least, ML scene is consistent so we can get to know him as a character and come to like him. I dont even feel anything for uriel or Lamia of being afraid or anger towards ML.

I honestly canā€™t understand why the readers are so forgiving to Aquila. Is it because heā€™s the ML? Puppy eyes or whatever? This guy literally gave Uri PTSD by crippling him by mangling his arm to the point his future was shattered, as well as threatened to destroy his family. He didnā€™t do anything wrong. He trusted Aquila, but Aquila went ahead and broke it by hurting Uri in the worst way possible. His wish isnā€™t ā€˜immatureā€™. It perfectly makes sense.

Imagine Aquila is the bully that traumatized you so much during school, and suddenly heā€™s in cahoots with your family and your sister says he has sworn to protect you and your family when the last time you saw him he said heā€™d slaughter them. And gave you an injury that gave you no future, where your elder sister gave you her own.

So, he apologized for hurting you and healed your injury. And Uriel caught what his father said to. ā€œPromiseā€. Even Uriel has realized that Aquila is only doing this because his father made Aquila promise to heal and apologize to Uri. People need to realize that this isnā€™t a true apology. This is the equivalence to your parent forcing your bully to apologize so the matter can be done with, fully knowing that bully is fully capeable of hurting you or the others again. It doesnā€™t ease Uri at all, and itā€™s so fucked up that even Iā€™m disgusted at such a person.

Aquila only cares about Lamia, and thatā€™s it. Everything he does is for Lamia, and no one else. He could care less about Uri or Lamiaā€™s dad, and everyone knows this. Heā€™s the literal epitome of the ā€˜Two Faced ML who hates everyone else and only shows a soft side of the MCā€™. EVEN LAMIA KNOWS THIS, AND IS DISGUSTED. This man, the man who crippled her precious younger brother and threw away his bright future and traumatized him, is acting all chummy with her and all sweet and caring. Screw his puppy eyes. He hasnā€™t repented or even seems to regret doing that to her brother, and Lamia knows this. This man, who destroyed her brother to the very core, dares to talk to her as if theyā€™re lovers? Lamia knows how much Aquila has traumatized Uri, and honestly, has all the right to slap him who dared to touch Uri knowing what he did to him.

So what, if Aquila has suffered through time shenanigans? So what, if heā€™s this tortured puppy who needs cuddles or whatever that the readers are treating him like? He has no excuse for any of his actions, and it doesnā€™t make anything he does magically right. I have no empathy for this man, who only seems to be getting worse each chapter. I am literally ok with every single character except him. Uri? Justified. Lamia? Justified. Their dad? Lacks in understanding his children, but I can get where heā€™s coming from. Aquila? Screw him. Doesnā€™t repent, doesnā€™t apologize from the heart, doesnā€™t even truly care for Lamia or tries to understand her. He has an image of her in his head that he wants to protect, not the Lamia we see and know. Heā€™s selfishly and onesidedly protecting and seeing her as a person that had long been dead. As long as Lamia is ā€˜safeā€™, he could care less. Even when sheā€™s unhappy and broken beyond belief, as long as sheā€™s safe and sound, allā€™s good to him. Heā€™s a terrible character and person, and people need to wake up and see that.

gosh! it was that easy to heal that damn freaking hand and it took him years to just heal it!! idk what to feel about all of these anymore I want answers

on a side-note, damn mangadex readers are so educated I can't even begin to read the paragraphs of comments haha looks like a debate here

@manhwasforbreakfast aquila had no reason to do so until now bc of lamia
but we also dont know enough about aquila at this point bc the aquila right now is probably a different person than the aquila of the past bc the aquila of now sought out lamia recently meaning that hes only been here since not too long ago since seeking out lamia would be the first thing he'd do

Users who are viewing this thread