Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

• Loli Emilia is best

Votes: 1,001 28.0%
  • Emilia is best

Votes: 915 25.6%
  • I'm lame and like Rem

Votes: 1,656 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dex-chan lover
I wonder how many of the MD Legacy Boomers are also bitchy because they can't buy a car with 8 track player standard. 😏
@mr_detective it's kind of disturbing to see that pic with a nonfunctional alpha layer. 🤥

Fed-Kun's army
@Kanami-chan
What's the thought process behind wanting
to preload every single page? If your internet connection and/or MD servers are fast enough to load all the pages before you get to them then it's definitely fast enough to load the entire chapter in batch of 20.

Dex-chan lover
@MagmaDrago Typically it loads quite well, but not always (especially when the DDoS', maintenance, etc), so having everything loading in the background helps you go through the chapters easily during those times, plus, I guess you can load some chapters before heading to a no internet location with a laptop or other mobile device. Also, there are times that manga get removed, so having everything already loaded means you already have it locally to finish reading that chapter, without even being aware its gone.

Group Leader
I'm an Elsa guy, where's my option in the poll?

latest

Dex-chan lover
I was wondering what was going on with the reader lately. I prefer the Legacy reader over the default.

What people who are complaining about others stating their dissatisfaction look like:
d27.png

Double-page supporter
as a proud legacy boomer i have to say this is a certified bruh moment

shit ain't never gonna load on my computer now lol

@DLRevan what i'm getting from you is that you're carrying water for a site that let a problem with a feature fester for two years instead of trying to fix it, and when the time came just simply removed said feature. stop defending laziness.

@Halo you'd think things like that would be in the op or something instead of having to be posted by someone not actually affiliated with the site management. y'know, for people who don't often check the forums unless something affects them?

@ixlone that doesn't change that should you need these options the layout is overly cluttered and despite your touting of options there is no means to change this. need to go to a specific page? the page bar overlaps the bottom of the screen. need to switch scanlators? you have to shove the image to the side like the options menu imouto sitting with chapter page onii-chan at the karaoke booth. it feels very claustrophobic on default and it wasn't on legacy.

if the problem is how the reader handles pages then change how the reader handles pages instead of letting it ferment for two years, and making the ugly sidebar a header and thus making the page less cluttered and claustrophobic shouldn't take forever and a day. i mentioned the lack of proper quoting originally because it was the most obvious problem typing this out, but really, just look at every thread in the 'suggestions' subforum with 'planned' appended to the title. i mean look at this and keep in mind this didn't happen on legacy. it shouldn't be that hard to do simple, piecemeal, positive changes instead of trying to cram every possible thing into a mythical 'v5' and removing features people seem to like. not even the somethingawful forums at it's worst was this bad, and that site at one point was broken by someone simply posting 'bush's brain'.

Aggregator gang
well thisll lower trafic. Atleast Ill always use the sight to store what i read.

Edit: ok i could edit it a bit as I like it again in advanced settings.

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
what i'm getting from you is that you're carrying water for a site that let a problem with a feature fester for two years instead of trying to fix it, and when the time came just simply removed said feature. stop defending laziness.
The default reader is the fix though?

if the problem is how the reader handles pages then change how the reader handles pages
That's what the default reader does though?

and making the ugly sidebar a header and thus making the page less cluttered and claustrophobic shouldn't take forever and a day.
But you can hide almost everything and keep only the page in the center of the screen?

Dex-chan lover
The old toggle is still present at the moment, but using it will result in no images loading.
I don't know if I'm using the reader incorrectly but the legacy reader still loads the images just fine for me, thank god.
Though I've only tested it on 2 chapters (each uploaded after the creation of this thread) so maybe I just got lucky. I hope whatever is causing it doesn't suddenly break in the future.

Power Uploader
What irritates me is that even though there's been tons of promises to make the new reader close to the default one, the SLIDEBAR is still forced upon us. Can I get a good reason WHY can't we get a classic header option, which is perfectly workable on mobile but on desktop we're forced to use the Slidebar?

Don't get me wrong, the new reader works fine and it can function without the Slidebar - I just want an answer as to why we can't make it a Header when on Desktop.

Custom title
Staff
Developer
@Kanami-chan Any images loaded through mdah are getting fully preloaded immediately, you don't even get the option to turn that off. Eventually all images will come through it, so we'll probably just remove the preload option at that point.

@RonBWL Yesterday I decided I was going to work on that as an option (since I've already made changes to that effect), I just wasn't expecting legacy to be killed while I was sleeping lol

Dex-chan lover
@fullerhorn As I said, you're not going to accept any other point of view than that the site is mismanaged and that the developers are lazy. That doesn't leave you with many choices does it? So I wasn't kidding. You're just going to have to take your "patronage" elsewhere, whatever that's worth.

I mean, damn, people like you are why I myself refuse to work on these kinds of non-profit/hobby projects, and also why i quit scanlating.

But you know, you and the others are right. Why am I even spending effort trying to point out the issues with your complaints. I won't change anyone's minds. The only reason I so-called shilled for these guys is because as a fellow developer I can kind of tell what they have to deal with. So I'm just thinking what if it was me having to do it. But as I said, that's why I don't. Also, I guess to folks around here, that's that kind of discussion is not acceptable either. Fine.

Dex-chan lover
Kind of wish everyone who has seriously quote-threatened-unquote to leave MangaDex (a free hobby site that doesn't require paid subscriptions and therefore have zero monetary sunkcosts for the vast majority of readers who have literally never contributed a single cent) over any perceived inconveniences actually followed through.
It's one thing to voice reasonable dissatisfaction, but calling the devs "lazy" and "incompetent" on a regular basis makes me wonder why these people bother sticking around.

Fed-Kun's army
@RonBWL
Maybe it's more convenient to have it accessible at anytime. From my personal experience, I find it troublesome to go all the way to the top to access the settings.

Though, I agree with you it isn't something to force upon, there should be options to make it the top bar (and make it appears when you scroll up). I remember they promised to make it the top bar, but who knows when.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread