Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

Legacy reader is officially retired from today.

• Loli Emilia is best

Votes: 1,001 28.0%
  • Emilia is best

Votes: 915 25.6%
  • I'm lame and like Rem

Votes: 1,656 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Double-page supporter
@fullerhorn I'll help you out 🙂

The legacy reader is incompatible with MangaDex@​Home so we'll likely be killing it off in the near future for the sake of the servers. Would recommend making the switch and getting used to the new reader! The options appearing above the images kind of layout legacy has will make a return in MangaDex v5.
- Plykiya

The default reader is better if you have a poor connection. It doesn't try to download every page at once, it loads them in sequence which is kinder on your connection and our server. Add to that if an image does fail you can click the reload image button to reload just that image and not have to refresh the entire chapter.
- ixlone

(the legacy reader) Hasn't been touched in two years cause it was never intended to be a long term option. The way it mass requests images is awful for the server and causes spikes of requests even if people are just skipping through chapters rapidly or trying to find one page compared to the gradual one by one requests in the new reader. It was never the plan to keep it around. It's like if YouTube videos worked by giving the user the entire video immediately instead of gradually streaming it
- Plykiya

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
Some of the negative comments i've been reading look ripped from r/gamingcirclejerk with their "literally unplayable unreadable" tone

Dex-chan lover
So what I'm getting from this is that you're all incompetent and instead of learning how to code, you're just going to take a hacksaw to anything that gives you trouble.

Dex-chan lover
dunno who are the people in the poll. Duh, whatevz
I've been reading on site during last 3 years. And I have never ever touched any settings. How can I know when I was switched to new reader from old one?

Dex-chan lover
kuheoAk.png

Dex-chan lover
Now I'm gonna have to write some stupid script to try and force all pages to load when I open a chapter now. fffffff

Staff
Admin
@fullerhorn

You don't even need the side panel on default reader, you can do everything via shortcuts should you want to - and better than the legacy reader you don't have to scroll up to top to access the buttons, they are available at any time or place on a page. Much more convenient design especially in long strip.

You can turn it off if you don't want the page bar. It's totally optional.

We've said legacy would be getting removed for ages. These forums are getting removed too, so adding extra features to them isn't a priority.

@Kanami-chan

Right below where your screenshot ended if you have advanced options selected. Or automatic like it says for md@h chapters.

Dex-chan lover
@Dor1tos what I'm getting from you is that u have no idea what being good at coding means.

Being good at "coding" or in this case really devops, means knowing what's the most optimal form of the system. It means cutting out stuff that isn't sustainable. It means not maintaining redundant features.

Or yeah they could just ignore all that and still endlessly maintain a burdensome feature anyway, like how most novice or incompetent programmers falsely believe.

Group Leader
For those who rant about the change. Here, try this useful advice:
7Nwr1K6.png

C'mon you boomers of the site, this will help.

@ixlone: #
These forums are getting removed too, so adding extra features to them isn't a priority.
The forums are getting removed too? Aww ...

Double-page supporter
People complaining about a change which may or may not affect reading experience: Not great but inevitable and understandable
People complaining about people complaining: very tedious, and it won't change anyone's minds.
People complaining about people complaining about people complaining: Trash

I don't like it when people get mad at others for stating their dissatisfaction. That's right, I'm the trash queen

Group Leader
It wouldn't load anyway and I have to do this manually every single time in case the chapter has over 20 pages?

KKspa9J.jpg

The legacy reader is simple, clean and beyond perfect

Double-page supporter
Now I'm gonna have to write some stupid script to try and force all pages to load when I open a chapter now. fffffff
Shhh, don't tell him.
AqJZWCV.gif

Most powerful member of the GFG
Staff
Super Moderator
@finer
The forums as a site feature won't be removed, this forum system will be ditched and changed for a better one (i think it was xenforo?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread