Long term strategies to address bandwidth issues and running costs: MangaDex@Home + Affiliates + BTC

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrb

I'll have a 1G/1G connection pretty soon. I'll try to pick up a computer to contribute to this.

Dex-chan lover
80mbps Storage 40gb storage. I'm curious to see how the requirements change over time. Sadly my upload is sub mbps these days. We'll probably see tweaks to the numbers as time goes on.

Edit: what is supposed to be in the api call to https://api.mangadex.network/report ? I initially assumed that a blank JSON object would be a success, but I had some fails on a chapter and the reports are still blank

I'm considering {} to be an empty JSON object

Where are the implementation details? How do you ensure that readers aren't served malicious content?

A little sad you have to meet the upload speed requirements to be part of the first batch, since I have everything from a static IP to always online PC, just spectrum being stingy with the upload.

Power Uploader
Great concept I hope it can lead to a decentralized front end someday.

MD@Home
Are there numbers on how much data this would use each month and or will there be a way to cap the data used? I would be willing to host on some of my servers but they have a bandwidth cap.

Dex-chan lover
I could only hope all the best for all that since I'm literally choking on my own current internet speed bills here. Even a 1mbps down time was a bliss and certainly the new compressed image setting has a HUGE help for me since I'm reading on my mobile device only (my preferences to able to read pages vertically without the need to scroll to gain the entire content). Thanks for the hard work everyone.

>mangadex@home
About time honestly. Sadpanda has been running these for a long while now and seeing others moving to p2p is a nice step forward

Group Leader
Wow. This is super interesting from a technical standpoint. I'm really interested in this because I might want to make a similar service for video game modding 😁
I'd be curious if you guys have your set up documented somehow? Would definitely be interested in looking at some doc.

Contributor
24/7 availability (This means the machine must be *on* 24/7).
Always on 24/7 but Common occurance power outage *LOL* in this damned place

Disk cache allocation (GB): Minimum 40GB
Easy, I have 6 TB free of 12 TB

A minimum network speed of 80Mbps up/down.
A minimum of 40GB of dedicated storage space, preferably more.
9569507266.png

Cries in indonesian

Staff
Admin
@Kyokai

If the VPS meets the current requirements (or future requirements when we lower them) everything should be okay.

@SilentAnime

Requirements will be relaxed at some point, so check back in a few days and see if what we decide on. And the client supports both per bandwidth/hour and burst speed limits already.

@AthK

Anything not covered by DDG is on the network. Basically anything over a month old up to the time of last image transfer.

@xAnoki

In the long run that would be the ideal outcome. Hopefully everyone should better load times from this, and they should like that :x

@BugCat

Unknown how much it will use currently, but there is a bandwidth cap already you can set.

Think @serjflint also answered some of those and a few others for me too, so check his replies, too. :D

VIP
@Ers92

Check Tachiyomi and Neko.

@BugCat

Hourly egress limit and burst speed limit atm.

@episode

You are talking about data-saver option. The topic is about a bit different thing.

@Allexio

Docs will be open together with source code later.

Just some questions @ixlone:

[ul]Is there a way to limit bandwidth usage? If yes, I can probably support in the SEA region. If not ... Traffic is really expensive there[/ul]
[ul]can i apply for more than 1 server? [/ul]
[ul]does it have to be speedtest? If yes... I think i have to install it on my server[/ul]

I already providing some services to hah, so using it vor mah isn't that much of a hastle (except the storage and traffic in (S)EA).

Staff
Admin
@wedge1001

1. Yes. By burst and by hour.

2. Yes. Each will need its own IP though.

3. For now yeah. Not sure what other methods we are accepting yet.

@wedge1001 there are scripts that allow you to do a speedtest in a headless server (mostly python scripts, but i have seen some browser-based scripts too).

this one, for example, allows you to get the results when you run it with additional command --share:
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest.py

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread