Love Agency - Vol. 1 Ch. 6 - Strength Factor

Dex-chan lover
So many subvert your expectations this chapter introduced that had me going at the beginning. A delinquent looking friend that loves to cross-dress was not something I expect to laugh a lot at in this chapter. Thanks for the translations.

Dex-chan lover
images

This chapter reminded me of this image lol

I love this chapter. Kengo misunderstood what was going on and he tries to save the girl. this is funny as hell but wholesome.

Dex-chan lover
Love how they had a whole UNO Reverse moment making it really wholesome. We ate good this week 👍

Nitpicking the credit page, but it's Moriya Suwako, not Sawako, but otherwise, thanks for the scanlation.

Dex-chan lover
Ugh I like him more as a creepy guy than misunderstood dude like this

Dex-chan lover
Wow. Unexpected wholesome.

Honestly this sort of series so far is a great example of good storytelling.

It's substance isn't just "copy and paste tropes/ideas" from other series. Nor is it edgy "gotta subvert all tropes, tropes are bad".

Instead it is a series where the author came up with an original idea, and knows how to use it. They lean into tropes/cliches at times, and then other times they play off of them to subvert them. And they have the creativity that the story would still be good if the did entirely subversion or entirely cliches.

Bad authors don't know how to deal with them, and/or run from them as if they are horrible things, while good authors put their own spin and make them their own.

One Piece is another great example that comes to mind. On a macro level, it is standard cliche Shonen. You mostly know what point b will be. Basic predictions are usually right. But then you get into the journey from point A to point B, and even when things you predicted happens, it happens and connects to the story in completely different ways. And because you get cliches/tropes as well as subversion, with incredibly genius storytelling, even such a long story continues to remain immensely entertaining.(I will never get over the genius of turning a running gag with sanji wanted poster, into an actual mini arc with Duval. And then using that same gag for setting a rational full arc involving unknown/additional backstory)(or stuff like Ussopp(negative man) vs Perona. Or Luffy pushing the zombie back in the ground)

I got off topic. Point being this series is doing it just right. The author is embracing and subverting expectations and knows how to use their work to the full potential by playing off of general expectations as well as ones which were set up earlier. For example it was set up how horny the male client was previously,(and he was just a bit of a jerk) which helped sell the bad vibes when he was "lusting at pictures" with these other "bad guys". And because of that, we couldn't see the swerve coming.

And now we see the character still has flaws, but also has a really good side we can root for. Meanwhile Tanuki-kun also shows how good of a guy he is, being ready to step into action to help, yet being immediate in addressing his flaw of judging based on surface impressions, being big enough to recognize he was wrong.

Anyways enough rambling. Time for the weekly torture with the adventures of Kazuya. The incredible character who finally manages to show enough of a good side to get you rooting for him, only to continue to be as pathetic as when he started. 95% horny, 4% normal guy, 1% interesting good guy. Those who know, know. Why do I keep reading a series like that, when there are great ones like this? Sunk cost + decent story(if you ignore inner monologues,which comprise the majority of the series) + potential to end well.

Group Leader
This chapter is nice, but I have no idea how they wheeled that girl around to 3 different places

Double-page supporter
Wow. Unexpected wholesome.

Honestly this sort of series so far is a great example of good storytelling.

It's substance isn't just "copy and paste tropes/ideas" from other series. Nor is it edgy "gotta subvert all tropes, tropes are bad".

Instead it is a series where the author came up with an original idea, and knows how to use it. They lean into tropes/cliches at times, and then other times they play off of them to subvert them. And they have the creativity that the story would still be good if the did entirely subversion or entirely cliches.

Bad authors don't know how to deal with them, and/or run from them as if they are horrible things, while good authors put their own spin and make them their own.

One Piece is another great example that comes to mind. On a macro level, it is standard cliche Shonen. You mostly know what point b will be. Basic predictions are usually right. But then you get into the journey from point A to point B, and even when things you predicted happens, it happens and connects to the story in completely different ways. And because you get cliches/tropes as well as subversion, with incredibly genius storytelling, even such a long story continues to remain immensely entertaining.(I will never get over the genius of turning a running gag with sanji wanted poster, into an actual mini arc with Duval. And then using that same gag for setting a rational full arc involving unknown/additional backstory)(or stuff like Ussopp(negative man) vs Perona. Or Luffy pushing the zombie back in the ground)

I got off topic. Point being this series is doing it just right. The author is embracing and subverting expectations and knows how to use their work to the full potential by playing off of general expectations as well as ones which were set up earlier. For example it was set up how horny the male client was previously,(and he was just a bit of a jerk) which helped sell the bad vibes when he was "lusting at pictures" with these other "bad guys". And because of that, we couldn't see the swerve coming.

And now we see the character still has flaws, but also has a really good side we can root for. Meanwhile Tanuki-kun also shows how good of a guy he is, being ready to step into action to help, yet being immediate in addressing his flaw of judging based on surface impressions, being big enough to recognize he was wrong.

Anyways enough rambling. Time for the weekly torture with the adventures of Kazuya. The incredible character who finally manages to show enough of a good side to get you rooting for him, only to continue to be as pathetic as when he started. 95% horny, 4% normal guy, 1% interesting good guy. Those who know, know. Why do I keep reading a series like that, when there are great ones like this? Sunk cost + decent story(if you ignore inner monologues,which comprise the majority of the series) + potential to end well.
agree a litte bit disagree a bit but I get your point, personally just feels a little too much like LiW so the writing is fine, LiW used to be my fav series, but its repetitive

Users who are viewing this thread