Love Agency - Vol. 1 Ch. 6 - Strength Factor

Double-page supporter
So im going to assume MOST of our humor in this series is going to come from the MCs but emotions with the protagonists, going with the theme of this chapter, the story will continue to interrupt tropes

all i hope is for good drama like early LiW

Dex-chan lover
Wow. Unexpected wholesome.

Honestly this sort of series so far is a great example of good storytelling.

It's substance isn't just "copy and paste tropes/ideas" from other series. Nor is it edgy "gotta subvert all tropes, tropes are bad".

Instead it is a series where the author came up with an original idea, and knows how to use it. They lean into tropes/cliches at times, and then other times they play off of them to subvert them. And they have the creativity that the story would still be good if the did entirely subversion or entirely cliches.

Bad authors don't know how to deal with them, and/or run from them as if they are horrible things, while good authors put their own spin and make them their own.

One Piece is another great example that comes to mind. On a macro level, it is standard cliche Shonen. You mostly know what point b will be. Basic predictions are usually right. But then you get into the journey from point A to point B, and even when things you predicted happens, it happens and connects to the story in completely different ways. And because you get cliches/tropes as well as subversion, with incredibly genius storytelling, even such a long story continues to remain immensely entertaining.(I will never get over the genius of turning a running gag with sanji wanted poster, into an actual mini arc with Duval. And then using that same gag for setting a rational full arc involving unknown/additional backstory)(or stuff like Ussopp(negative man) vs Perona. Or Luffy pushing the zombie back in the ground)

I got off topic. Point being this series is doing it just right. The author is embracing and subverting expectations and knows how to use their work to the full potential by playing off of general expectations as well as ones which were set up earlier. For example it was set up how horny the male client was previously,(and he was just a bit of a jerk) which helped sell the bad vibes when he was "lusting at pictures" with these other "bad guys". And because of that, we couldn't see the swerve coming.

And now we see the character still has flaws, but also has a really good side we can root for. Meanwhile Tanuki-kun also shows how good of a guy he is, being ready to step into action to help, yet being immediate in addressing his flaw of judging based on surface impressions, being big enough to recognize he was wrong.

Anyways enough rambling. Time for the weekly torture with the adventures of Kazuya. The incredible character who finally manages to show enough of a good side to get you rooting for him, only to continue to be as pathetic as when he started. 95% horny, 4% normal guy, 1% interesting good guy. Those who know, know. Why do I keep reading a series like that, when there are great ones like this? Sunk cost + decent story(if you ignore inner monologues,which comprise the majority of the series) + potential to end well.
I get what your point (hopefully) and agree with that. But I am not convinced that this author fully used this kind of storytelling really well. some of the dialogue appeared too strong that make me can't understand the character's personality later chapter. It's the same case as her other titles Kaguya love is war, and oshi no ko. That's why I am not really that fond of this author. Reason: The joke is not that funny for Kaguya (I dropped the series at early stage so I don't really know how the story fare), I particularly hate overstimulated emotion in oshi no ko (but I still read it because it talking about the topic that I don't know about japan's showbiz).

One Piece is actually insane. I always find it astonishing that my expectation even after reading other people's expectation that I find amusing is still would be surprised (In a very satisfying way) by what happened later chapter. If you find it the later chapter is not that good compared to the past chapters it's greatly caused by the page count (Its more than 4 pages shorter than the past). I can't find other series that have this level of storytelling. Dungeon Meshi have perfect story telling too. But one piece is on another level

This is Kazuya from Rental girlfriend right? I actually drop that series from chapter one (when it's just released). I complained about it very hard on mangadex too perhaps (I am not sure). That author other newer series is a crap for my standard too. That author can make a very attractive scenario but his execution in choosing a way to explain the story is very very bad. I hate all of his mc's inner monologue

Dex-chan lover
Ahummmmn! I did not see this coming from Seki. It feels like a completely different character than the guy we've been shown so far, and this chapter feels like a completely different story. I'm concerned about whiplash.

Dex-chan lover
This was a bit too cartoonishly subversive. It showed a side of one of the main characters, sure, but it was a few levels too far over the top for me.

Dex-chan lover
images

This chapter reminded me of this image lol
LMFAO WHAT TF EVEN IS THIS?? 💀💀

Users who are viewing this thread