Meguro-san wa Hajimete ja Nai

Dex-chan lover
The amount of woke feminists and those who won't deny the female MC her woman pass in here are too damned high!
You wanna know why there are people who are not liking this manga? Because to a lot of them, this manga is just like a cheap soap opera. But no, people here decry the criticism as " incel muh soggy knees".

Aggregator gang
Imouto has issues. I understand where she's coming from, but wow. She needs to be careful or she's gonna get hurt...you can only insult someone so much before they snap.

Group Leader
@Angelonius Always refreshing to see someone who can elaborate on why s/he dislikes a series instead of having a knee-jerk reaction.

That said, I have a very specific criterion for whether something is a soap opera, and this manga does not fulfill it:

To me, something is a soap opera if the actions of the characters appear to aim at maximising drama and misery. This easily condemns eg Good Ending and Unbalance x 3, whilst letting slide very dramatic manga such as Okujou-hime and Watashi no Shounen.

So, with all that said, I do not find this manga to be a soap opera. The backstory does have lots of drama; Meguro obviously has serious issues, and now we found out that so does her sister. However, the MC aims at actually creating an emotional connection with her, and Meguro herself tries (as best as she knows how) to make him happy. So, as long as the characters are actively trying to minimise the drama, it's not a soap opera as far as I'm concerned.

Dex-chan lover
MC is just annoying, the settings interesting but the mc is just faffing around like an idiot which is infuriating, dropped.

Dex-chan lover
@Random_Passer-by To be fair, the knee-jerk reactions on both sides need to stop and think before they type.

That being said, I do stand what I said about this manga looking like a cheap soap opera because I have seen an ungodly amount of those. I live in the Philippines and the amount of sexual promiscuity in the soap operas here is overdone to the point of sheer recklessness. If the concept of the female main character not being a virgin was handled better, we would not have a very long comment thread to begin with. But no, this manga comes off as "I must save this girl with the power of my love" done in a quite cliche way. Hence, the more critical among us here tend to dislike it coupled with how predictable this type of story tends to be. Clearly, the author is trying to do a more mature story but does not have the ability to do so.

To a lot of people, the female main character tends to come off as someone who will use and abuse well-meaning men using sex. If I wanna see a manga where the female main character is not a virgin but is handled properly, I'd rather read Bitter Virgin or something.

Dex-chan lover
tbh there is not really that much long lasting drama if you can even call it that
this shit with the little sister get solved and end in next chapter, then the one that happen in volume 3 is the same, it go from 1 chapter and end next, and meguro feelings for koga keep getting stronger because of those 2 things

Double-page supporter
Damn if japan really treat anybody like that for having sex it sounds like quite a shitty place to live

I don't really follow this series much but I saw a thread on /a/ maybe a week ago that the heroine is actually a virgin after all. How true is it?

The imouto just seems like a step too far in the unnecessary direction, like that's actual trash shoujo level random cruelty like a Minami Kanan villain or something

Aggregator gang
So this manga is Chasing Amy, right? Only the "Amy" in this question (Meguro) has never slept with girls in the past (as far as we know).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrLK8GSH5og

Dex-chan lover
When I started this manga i thought that the main girl's bedroom adventures were phony stories told by her past boys, who thought she'd be easy to score and turned jelly when she wasn't, and the whole thing was just cautionary tale about toxicity of gossip and libel

ho fucking boy, i couldn't be more mistaken. This story has gone wild hella fast and it gone south in directions i couldn't anticipate. In my opinion girl probably has been mentally ill for a long time, and certainly is ill now. There has to be something wrong with her head because no person in their right mind would be that indifferent to her own life, that submissive to whims of a literal whos. At some point in her life SOMEONE had to notice that disposition of hers, SOMEONE should've helped her, protected her from harm she couldn't notice herself. I guess nobody bothered, for reasons that I am incapable of guessing.

I feel sorry for her. It's hard to write characters you can genuinely empathize with, and neither cunt of a sister or reed of MC achieve anything in this regard, but I legit can't stop myself from thinking 'jesus fuck that girl's went through hell'.
I think that story could've proceeded much better for everyone involved if the first meeting of MC and the girl had gone in a different way

Fed-Kun's army
The Volume 1 extra is a critical scene in knowing the scope of Meguro's past.

It all hinges on how manipulative her private tutor first love was when he told her to "never say no".

Fed-Kun's army
this here is one of those manga where you just shouldnt bother with reading the comments

Dex-chan lover
When Zephyrus shows up repeatedly in the threads, you know someone fucked up and you're in for a fun ride.

In all seriousness though, I don't think all this hate towards FMC and MC is warranted given that people can change and it's repeatedly shown that the relationship is a positive influence on both of their lives.

Her sister is a bitch, though. I honestly am surprised because I think the roles of the sister and the gal are inverted of what their stereotypes are. (Ie the gal is the one bringing up how often she's slept around and her sister is overly protective.) I'm glad the author inverted that because it's more interesting as a dynamic that way.

@angelonius - Ya, I agree with that whole incel shit. Like, personally I could care less that she isn't a virgin. But when we see it from the guy's perspective and he genuinely cares for her, to be hit with the constant talk of her taking dick for whoever whenever I don't know how you're supposed to take that other than feeling like shit.

When we date people in reality unless you got a sick fetish, we don't ask nor talk about past relationships because it's straight-up weird at best, and at worst it makes you feel like shit. Why make that the entire point of a story? Constantly hearing and finding out how much the person you love used to fuck other people? No thanks, I'm good, LMFAO.

Dex-chan lover
@Akemua This manga feels like a crappy version of Scott Pilgrim replete with cliches. If done properly, someone rescuing his/her significant other with love works wonders. But, seeing as we have an abundance of this type of story in the more mainstream entertainment sources (films and TV shows) filled with cliches as far as the eye can see, this type of story becomes boring at best.

@Tamerlane Instead of demonizing the people who are reacting badly at this, I do suggest hearing them out.

Users who are viewing this thread