Mieruko-chan - Vol. 10 Ch. 51

Fed-Kun's army
please don't kill the dad... I mean don't make another monster eat him or something worst...

Fed-Kun's army
That’s really not fair to call that whole span a single arc, though. It's not like they were dealing with shrine stuff every chapter between 11 and 39.
This series has actually been following a pretty tight pattern, you know. Miko meets a creepy new person and initially sees them as an antagonistic force, but eventually comes to understand them and helps them get over their ghost-related personal issues. The first major arc was Zen, which ran from 16 to 23 (7 chapters), then the Romm arc ran from 24 to 39 (15 chapters). She’s spent 12 with Michiru so far, and I have my doubts about whether she's fixing her anytime soon.
I'd say the hospital arc is very much it's own independent arc, even though Michiru did "show up" at the end. I also think the past chapters of this arc were not just about Michiru. Alot of characters got flashed out here and there. Julia has grown on me alot more in the recent chapters. I really like that she apologized to Miko in this chapter. also, we got a significant amount of information about Miko's Dad. Miko's flash back very much insinuated that the dad has become a guardian spirit like the kitties and the mother- daughter duo from the hospital. maybe the horse is there to deliver them like the wheel chair angel.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Ok now we have progress. This is so fucking tense. WHY THE FUCK IS THIS MONTHLY????

Dex-chan lover
Maybe his dad notice miko ability to see ghost, like another reason to not pass on yet.
Maybe he somehow knew Miko has the ability. Does it run in the family? He's staying behind to protect her?

Dex-chan lover
That’s really not fair to call that whole span a single arc, though. It's not like they were dealing with shrine stuff every chapter between 11 and 39.
The fact that there are other arcs inserted within doesn't change the fact of the length of the shrine arc. And note too that those included arcs also interact with the shrine arc. Julia intro has a major bend in the roadway tunnel where the shrine spirits intervene. And cat-sensei arc is largely resolved by intervention of shrine spirits.
This series has actually been following a pretty tight pattern, you know. Miko meets a creepy new person and initially sees them as an antagonistic force, but eventually comes to understand them and helps them get over their ghost-related personal issues. The first major arc was Zen, which ran from 16 to 23 (7 chapters), then the Romm arc ran from 24 to 39 (15 chapters). She’s spent 12 with Michiru so far, and I have my doubts about whether she's fixing her anytime soon.
The hero of the Romm arc is Romm. He's the one who initially (as a child) set out to free the spirit, and he's responsible for the majority of the planning and tricks in dealing with the problem. Miko is brave, but the main effect that she has is to accidentally drop the skull, which partially resolves the situation. But even that isn't fully resolved until Romm uses his wish to free the spirit. Not to slight the others -- it is a group effort requiring everyone -- but the real hero here is Romm.

My point here is that if you're trying to cram this into "X meets ghost Y, resolves ghosts problems" trope, it really doesn't fit. Miko has superhigh powers of observation, but has no offense or defense, nor is she yet really aware of which ghosts can be talked to and which cannot. ... The core of Mieruko is that she can see these horrible things, but there's very little that she can actually do but be brave and endure it.

How dare Michiru start planning to hurt Hana...
tyra-banks-i-was-rooting-fo-you.gif

At least it seems like other ghosts are afraid of messing with the dad and the horse ghost, definitely the most interesting duo in the series for sure

Double-page supporter
If Miko's father and his horse spirit is actually some sort of guardian spirit, then Miko having the train axeman as her guardian spirit will be quite badass.

mieruko-chan-train-axeman.jpg

But then again, from then on, this series will become Jojo, haha. Stand fight.

Dex-chan lover
I have yet to be disappointed by a single chapter in this series, even the slow ones are a delightful read.

And this one ends with quite the twist.

What I gathered from this chapter is that Michiru is also an orphan, which can go a long way towards explaining the sister's smothering obsession with her. And I would be surprised if that trauma didn't have anything to do with these monstrous entities.

My personal take is that what we see towards the end is a manifestation of the older sister's obsession and that Michiru's head tentacles act as a sort of self-defense against that entity.
AHHHH! What if those entities are their parents but gone 'bad' which cold be part of why Miko's dad is features as much in this part as he does.

I like your hypothesis with the entities. Got anohter one playing on being orphans:
One could be the doting mother that smothered her with love (tentacles) other could have been somewhat absent workaholic father that thought he could best provide from protecting and providing from a distance. THis could be part of why her sister took on the overprotective route becoming like their mother.

Dex-chan lover
good father even in death, but i hope he can eventually move on 🙏

excited to see what goes down

Users who are viewing this thread