Prototyping subtitled Drama CD support - feedback wanted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be down for Audio dramas on here, there are a few I've listened to before that I could add to the site as well.

The only thing that I would like to critique at the moment, is that there should be a way to tell which character is talking.
A user brought this up earlier, mentioning that it would be hard for the hearing impaired to tell which character is talking, but also for those who aren't hearing impaired, it might be difficult to tell who is talking if one voice actor is voicing two or more characters.
Some CD dramas I've seen on youtube have different color fonts depending on which character is talking, and for some of the ones on translator's sites, they do something like this for example...

Jiro - "I- it's coming th- this way!"
Kenji - H-Hey, do something...!
Kenji - You said you're a higher rank!
Monster - AAAAAAAGGGHHHHH!!

That way you can tell who is talking, either by using color fonts or by putting the names of the characters who are talking next to the lines.

Group Leader
Gonna buy some drama cds next month. Was thinking about doing translations if I feel confident enough 😀

Contributor
Google Chrome: 74.0.3729.155
iOS: 12.2
Model: ML3O2LL/A

I have no issues getting the audio to play, but no text appears.

I love this new addition. I hope it will stays. The only thing I was looking for when I was listening to this was a button to change the font size. not sure if it's easy or hard to do so, but either way I can just zoom in on my browser so it's not that big of a deal.

Group Leader
This is my first time ever listening to an Japanese drama CD. It did a good job conveying non-verbal info through the sound effects, reverb, and background music. That combined with my knowledge of anime and manga tropes made this a funny thing to listen to.

I noticed most of the background music were good songs except for one that had the white noise, meant-to-be-looped feel of a visual novel song.

Notice I said this was my first Japanese one. A good radio drama in English series is "Prairie Home Companion" by Garison Keillor. Its funny. Its like dad jokes but for a whole hour.

Contributor
Usability issue.
When you first open the drama there is a play button and clicking it does nothing.

L3ctvi7.jpg

A user can be a bit confused why its not working.
While the player is in this state it should be grayed out to show it's disabled and a message should appear in the blank space to tell the user to select a track + subtitle first.

I wasn't sure what I was expecting, but this is way better than what I would've thought it would've been.😍

Dex-chan lover
I had no expectations from this, but it blew me away
It's such a simple but effective implementation

Keep up the great work everyone involved with this!!

It's an awesome feature. I'd love to be able to "watch" next chapters too.

Contributor
So is this going to go off the ground soon, or was it just a test?

Contributor
I believe this prototype is on hold, because mangadex v5 will rewrite the entire website from its core.
I'll PM staff If v5 is complete regarding this feature

Custom title
Staff
Developer
Yeah this is put on hold for now while we have higher priorities to work on

I'm super all for this, but there is no reason to have 3 different audio qualities for what is basically a radio show.
seems unsustainable from a bandwidth perspective, ogg is more than enough.

I think having three different audio qualities gives flexibility for users to choose from. While it might unnecessarily fill the server space to some people, I don't see much problem with bandwidth perspective. Users know what their bandwidth is capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread