Re:Monster

For reference, I'm actually quite a fan of fantasy manga. I know isekais get a rep, but hey-- I like them, so whatever.
That being said, this is not one I particularly enjoyed, at least past a certain point. It starts out fine with decent power gains for awhile. It had its occasional moments where it seemed maybe odd, but I could overlook it. At a point though, they start introducing more and more characters, and I found at some point that I didn't really care about the characters. The MC kinda felt like an ass for no real reason, so I couldn't really root for him, but the universe seems to just follow his every move and gift him everything in perfect order. It provides a sort of distasteful reaction, because the story is aiding the guy you're almost rooting against. It takes one out of the story. The more recent chapters feels like a bad wattpad story, like a "I made this to lowkey write out my deepest fantasies."

I can get behind OP characters, but it feels like there isn't really a goal anymore. Heck, even isekai where the MC's initial goal is 'live the life you want,' there is generally something they find along the way to do, or like some character development to deal with. This just seems like a day-to-day activity logger.

When it started out. 8 / 10
In the middle: 6.5 / 10
In the current state: 3 / 10 (and falling)
Current status for me: dropped. The nature of the story makes things sort of linear, so I don't see it ever correcting itself to somehow improve.

Dex-chan lover
honestly, they should change this manga title to be isekai gourmet adventure...
ogarou always hungry for new kind food every chapter.

Dex-chan lover
they need to snip some characters and give the gang a goal and forward the plot (if their is any) currently i give it a 4/10

Dex-chan lover
@DeadMemeDoge Give the Light Novel of the story a read, and see if you like it better. I find that it communicates the story far, FAR better. Manga really just serves as a visualization of that original LN story, for me, which is why I can enjoy it, but it's DEFINITELY lacking compared to the LN, which is a commonality with such adaptations, I find.

Still 10/10 for me, fk all the haters!!!

No goal? His goal is to eat the whole motherfk’ing world and all his girls 😏. He’s trying to built a whole army so he can do wtf ever he wants and of course they’re going to have a lot of characters.

Uhm he should visit his other wives. Just saying.

Also yeah i agree to @justdo lol, Stockholm syndrome manga definitely hahahahaha

This started out interesting, with a fairly unique premise among isekai and some solid development. There was character development, there were stakes, there some interesting development. Now, there's no character development, no stakes, and nothing that happens is interesting. Sometimes, the author tries to introduce some politics stuff in the background, so that the MC has something that will have some impact, but he immediately doesn't care, so nothing happens. So, what does happen? Well, as Farwind said, it's mostly passive descriptions of stuff that happened, either in character dialogue or in narrative text boxes. New characters get introduced, but none of them are important, they rarely show up again, and when they do, it's to tell you that their numbers went up. That's it. That's the only thing that changes now: numbers going up. At the end of the chapter, the text boxes tell you that the MC gained a ton of new skills, and the skills evolve or synthesize or whatever, but none of this does anything.

The manga right now is like listening to the characters of a slice-of-life manga that you don't read telling eachother about the slice-of-life stuff they did in the most boring way possible.

Dex-chan lover
Is this the peace before the storm? Because if there is no storm it's a drop for me, it's just to stale for my taste.

oh what could have been. sad to see a manga like this devolve into number/statusbar spam. it really had a chance to turn into something intriguing at the beginning

Instead of writing, we're reading the status log.
Goblin Hero X gains skill "X"
Goblin Hero X cast skill "X"

Maybe describe the action for once??? You know, literacy?

Isn't storytelling suppose to paint a picture for the reader.
This mangaka is bad at writing. This is not manga, but RPG spreadsheet with pictures.

I feel if this was probably written better maybe this story would be more interesting to read. Anyone who read the WN or LN? I would think the LN would probably be better than the manga.

This is a text adventure rpg game in the form of manga. Better as a game, worse as manga. By the way, re:monster has a game with unique battle mechanics but bad gacha and level up system.

Users who are viewing this thread