Reader Not Working on Firefox :fixed:

Status
Not open for further replies.
@jdjohndoe13
same thing here abort controller api is not defined, oldr firefox version here but still it was working perfectly yesterday. AS the other have said in this thread , new firefox version are dogshit and a huge pain to migrate everything from older versions, older extensions and addons are broken on newer versions of FF etc. etc. A good advice is to not fix whats not broken.
@BraveDude8
win 7 ,FF 48, nothing is blocking scripts on mangadex,
>if you have an old browser just update bro lmao we dont care or want to support your "old "browser
The thing is it was working perfectly fine yesterday but you had to add the new spicy and trendy JS that breaks the reader of all things for many people. How fucking hard is it to delete this shitty JS code and/or some legacy reader option(which you also killed).

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@DrMuhammad No idea. Try a different browser on the phone it's not working on, Firefox/Opera, see what happens.

Double-page supporter
My desktop (Chrome) is now seemingly working, albeit slower than before the recent changes. My iPad (Safari) still is just spinning though.

Edit to add: I changed nothing on my desktop. Someone must have fixed something server side.

Dex-chan lover
@BraveDude8

Umatrix is just set to accept xhr from there, as it never has requested a script, but I had the same problem even when I disabled all filtering on both addons. I have no idea what else would possibly block those urls from the reader.

zx4

@BraveDude8 personally, considering the whole story of FF betray in the entire community that build their fame up, i believe that there is a massive amount of users that will never even consider abandoning the old addons support, heck, personally if i had to chose between browsing mangadex w/o my addons, or giving up on mangadex as a whole along w mangaz even, i doubt i would stay w mangadex, i abandoned other stuff in the past w much greater scales for these kind of things,
but this is not just because of the functionality alone that i consider that like that, i thought of mangadex as community driven, and as such, if there is a certain ''browser'' w tons of users!, no matter that browser is ''abandoned'' [im treating here the old FF as a separated browser to modern FF], it doesn't matter if it was not updated in EVEN 10 YEARS, let alone 5, if you have a massive amount of users using it, you'd respect then and properly give support to them, otherwise i no longer can consider you community driven and community respecting!

that being said, i actually don't use old FF, but a PaleMoon browser, and i have the ''Unhandled promise rejection ReferenceError: AbortController is not defined'' issue on it, tho not the latest version of PM but its not that old of a version, but again i won't update sense they also recently abandoned support for addons that don't have devs to support them atm, and i think its kynda stupid of them considering most of the PM users are there exactly for these addons, and many there went in rage in their forums etc, but if they wanna disrespect their own community bluntly i have nothing to say to them myself....

but mangadex is different, or at least, i thought it is, considering it strives to be community oriented, or correct me if im wrong on that? because if it is, then if there is a massive user amount using something, how old it is means absolutely Nothing!, to begin w, not supporting old stuff should be driven from a rapidly decreasing number of users of it, as most ppl upgrade or will upgrade soon, the old-FF is NOT THAT CASE!.

as for all the people that use old FF n understand abandoning the addons is a technological regression they will NOT PUT UP W NO MATTER WHAT ^^ , this might not fit all of you, but for those it will, i just recently tried ''Waterfox Classic'' [not normal Waterfox], its specifically made to support the old addons, my addons work their well, n mangadex works there fine as well, i guess sense WF-Classic is a fully supported browser as well, so i hope your addons will work there and it fits you.... in case you didn't know about it = 3

Head Contributor Wrangler
Staff
Super Moderator
@zx4
unknown.png

unknown.png

This isn't some wacky experimental standard, it's been supported in every major browser for years, and you can't expect the internet to hold back development forever because of the sub 0.1% who're sticking to obsolete browsers.
This allows us to get significantly more accurate metrics for MD@H, which keeps image load times lower, and it also lets us kill connections properly when the user navigates away from the page. It's a big improvement, not something thrown in for shits and giggles.
Waterfox Classic is based on a four year old obsolete version of Firefox, and unsurprisingly, it's going to break.

Double-page supporter
@BraveDude8

To add another wrinkle into things... I decided to try installing Chrome on my iPad. At first it was working great. I was able to read a chapter and a half. However the latter half of the second chapter got stuck. I tried refreshing. I tried going back to the homepage and starting over. I tried other manga. After the first chapter and a half worth of pages, nothing more will load for me.

I wonder if it has anything to do with the change to storing images locally.

Dex-chan lover
you can't expect the internet to hold back development forever
But... what's wrong adding shims and polyfills for old clients? It doesn't break the functionality for modern clients, it doesn't bloat the JavaScript too much, and you can download the polyfill only if you detect that it's needed... Yes, you have to write an extra few lines of code, but... maybe it's easier and faster than to write many lines of explanation and spend time answering users who were enjoying things yesterday and it suddenly broke for them without an important (from them point of view) reason?
After all, satisfied users aren't as loud in their feedback as the cries of those who found the website broken.

Double-page supporter
@zx4

That's all fine from your POV but why don't you put yourself in dev's shoes and ask yourself...

I have to keep up MD for 3 million people with modern browsers. But there's 10 people with 5-10 years old browsers. Should I cater for them if all they have to do is update browser to fix all their problems?

Be honest, what would be your answer?

Dex-chan lover
I was fine with the answer of "Palemoon won't work anymore," But Palemoon private browsing is working while Firefox-beta is not (haven't tested private browsing mode there as it's already working in Palemoon). I don't doubt the greasemonkey solution would work, but that seems like a janky workaround.

*edit* I will add, the private browsing sometimes also does not load the ddos-guard script and still works, but when it happens it seems to preload every page of the chapter.

zx4

@BraveDude8 isn't all mangadex need to do is create some Pollyfill? tho idk too much about technical stuff, but it shouldn't make you give up the upgrade r?....

and as to what i was trying to say, i don't think Old-FF users are some meager 0.1% at all, but more like one of the Semi Major-Browsers, just an abandoned Major-Browser by the devs side, but a Major-Browser no less!

@jdjohndoe13
Your script worked though there are some parts that do not exist in the github abortcontroller polyfill package. Can you explain where you got that from?

Dex-chan lover
@theo1996
I created a new folder.
Opened console.
Ran command
npm install --save abortcontroller-polyfill
Went inside subfolder node_modules\abortcontroller-polyfill\dist
Copied the contents of the file abortcontroller-polyfill-only.js.
There was no "dist" folder in GitHub repository (or I couldn't find it), and I didn't want to build the polyfill myself. So I took the version from npm as mentioned in the readme file in GitHub.

zx4

@BzzBzz if it was the case i have no issue w it, but if its like 5~10% of the userbase, thats absurd of the devs to ignore, let me remind you the number of ppl reporting something and not staying quite, are just ''the tiny tip of the iceberg''....

try to do a vote on mangadex n see how many ppl want the devs to keep support for the XUL-addons browsers (i hope thats the r' term) such as Old-FF , if its below ~5% i guess i have nothing to say, but if it isn't, its just goes to show my point, that its a massive chunk of the userbase....

@jdjohndoe13 Thank very much you saved the day for everyone this thread who was abandoned by the devs. I pasted the code from my dist folder now and it works as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread