Rettou Gan no Tensei Majutsushi ~ Shiitagerareta Moto Yuusha wa Mirai no Sekai o Yoyuu de Ikinuku ~ - Vol. 4 Ch. 30

Dex-chan lover
@Glomoro I'm the one who first refused to acknowledge those lizards as dragons, but it's just my personal bias. I'm tired of the traditionally mightiest of creatures to be depicted as pitiful, witless mounts. In the West, it was the culmination of a hero's fate to defeat a terrible dragon. Like Smaug, in the forefather of modern fantasy, this bloody series included, capable of single-handedly destroying the powerful dwarven kingdom. Defeating a dragon forever immortalises a hero in the sagas. In the East a dragon symbolises the untameable powers of the nature, like flooding rivers. Of course you already know all this, I'm just writing it here to make a point. So, I'm just personally pissed off when dragons are made totally miserable. This manga even contradicts itself by calling dragons prideful, yet they are happily living in a cage and flown around by idiots, like the rapist wannabe. That's some extreme pride, uh huh. Somebody should donate a dictionary to the author, with "pride" bookmarked and underlined.

Not that I'd be honestly angry at this series. This is hardly worth it. Even among the isekai, famous for lacking quality as a genre, this is quite a cheap one.

I hope the protagonist sees them, thinks they are getting all lovely dovely with each other and leaves them alone. That would be something new.

Gosh the sudden random rapist twist got lame ages ago, yet here we go.

Dex-chan lover
@Soulwarfare
Limited easy, one-off villain plots. There are not many villain plot lines which are as easy as this to just throw in anywhere and immediately make the audience dislike the character. Why waste 3-4 chapters establishing a backstory with proper reasoning as to the villain's motivation, when just being "isolated" is more than enough for a 3-4 page villain set-up. Honestly, I get it is entirely for the set-up, but seriously? She was not the slightest concerned that they were standing on top of a plateau, only accessible by dragon, which she cant use, with no one around, and with a guy who she literally just met? And then eat the food he just happened to have prepared, already in a picnic basket, which he somehow pulled out of his ass because I doubt she agreed to go on a date with him.

Lmao, this is generic trash level writing. I honestly don't understand Japanese authors and re-using troupes and plots that have been done a thousand times by now.

I know it's hard to make new things completely original, but damn, at least try a little.

Dex-chan lover
@Akemua hey if it sells, it sells. i learned that sometimes you don't need to be truly unique to get things selling; you just need to do the same shit better than others. everyone does coffee but there's a difference between Starbucks and some kinda mud/instant coffee you picked up from a street vendor in jakarta

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I actually prefer the dragons you're talking about myself, as well. I also kind of like seeing distinctions between them and stuff like wyverns based on differences in the physiology/rarity/power, because a diverse and well explained bestiary is probably a good thing for a setting compared to just throwing stuff in there and letting readers fill in the blanks based on varied other definitions of the words used. The bit about pride is a pretty good point as well, even if they respect power as the MC internal-monologued, it should probably take more than what he did to turn that one into a compliant mount.

But I do still feel like flexibility in the term "dragon" itself is warranted despite my own feelings on it, and my whole problem here ended up being how stubborn the other guy was about some really faulty arguments (such as claiming the "rules" for writing this (not actually an) isekai story included properly classifying dragons when this being available at all means nobody gave a damn and released a finished product in this state anyway, so much for that rule I guess).

@Wolvenworks - Sure, I can understand that. But people aren't reading this for such a lame and overused troupe though, lol. I mean, it's no reason to stop reading because of this one instance, but jeez.

Dex-chan lover
@Glomoro Yeah, there are obviously no rules as such in fantasy. I guess in these times it might be unacceptable, publication wise, to import some real life issues into fantasy (like depicting racism as positive/natural), but otherwise it's all free real estate. Still, I'd also be happier if the creatures had been wyverns here, even if the ones riding them had been called dragon riders/knights/etc. That would be quite believable as people often wanted to have titles that sounded grand. Who knows, the author might have even later regretted making dragons so pitiful.

Double-page supporter
Somehow I feel like this fits here
x26.png

Users who are viewing this thread