Saikyou Yuusha Party wa Ai ga Shiritai - Ch. 1 - Please Kick Me Out of the Party

Dex-chan lover
Do you think this will follow the one-shot that closely?

Also, there's another manga with a similar premise that just started getting TL'ed:
https://mangadex.org/title/ba549e23...i-akogareru-seken-ha-tsuiho-boomnanoni-ore-wo

I even thought that THAT was the serialization for the one-shot at first. But, different authors.

Obviously they're not that beholden to the one-shot given that they changed the entire structure of this chapter after the initial bit with the MC wanting to leave the party because he isn't popular enough. In the one-shot they deal with a fire that needs putting out, in this one they meet an isekai'd hero who goes on a rampage. They both end up in more or less the same place (the party hero, Shuuya or whatever her name was, hugs the MC and then we get the later reveal that she's a woman and her "teasing" is her actually trying to flirt with him because she's smitten.) but take different routes to get there.

Given how jokey/gag-y/wacky trope subverting this whole story is it wouldn't surprise me to at least eventually do the priest reveal because that will subvert things a big. The elf one is a little more of a coin-flip because I'm not sure where you go with it after the initial joke of the reveal.

this could be great but i'm not holding my breath. this the kind of thing that looks like it wants to subvert tropes but could easily end up just playing into them instead whether its on purpose or not

I think the biggest risk is that you can really only get a good joke out of subverting a standard trope a couple of times before it wears thin. So we've already had the reveal of the hero being a woman who's legitimately attracted to our MC, and done the hole tantrum from him wanting to leave the party so he can have one of those "kicked out of the hero party but I'm actually the strongest" plots and we've done an "isekai hero with a cheat skill" plot crossed with the idea of the hero going rogue. In one chapter the author blew through the major reveals of 3 different genre aspects to parody. It definitely feels like in 6-10 chapters they could easily exhaust most of the biggest and most obvious genre trope parody options and then you're left with a series that descends into either a) repeating the same joke over and over and over and over and over again to diminishing returns or b) has to stop making fun of all the tropes and gets caught in the trap of playing them seriously to make new jokes that are just the same as you'd find in a straight, non-parody example of these series.

I will say that at least this series has its blatant parody nature going for it. I was reading another series last week and though I can't recall the name of it I remember someone saying that it was supposed to be a parody of isekai/hero party fantasy stories except that you'd honestly never know it becuase most of its jokes happen in standard versions of those tales anyways. And the worst thing a parody series can be is indistinguishable from a straight example of what it's making fun of.

Dex-chan lover
I think the biggest risk is that you can really only get a good joke out of subverting a standard trope a couple of times before it wears thin.
at that point you could always go the Mob Psycho 100 route, where after you subvert the trope for laughs you actually use that subversion for interesting and thought-provoking plot development. problem is Mob Psycho actually knew how to toe the line between comedy and drama (at least, in my opinion). generally speaking I feel like too many manga are so fixated on having an interesting premise and then don't know how to actually follow that premise up with quality writing.
still. interested to see how this goes

Dex-chan lover
You know, isn't a futanari... still a guy?

Not based on usual manga logic. Futas are women but they also have a dick stuck on the front. They aren't guys (they usually have a full set of functional lady parts and often don't have testicles) and they aren't transsexual (because they are in their default state, they didn't start as one gender or the other before undergoing some sort of alteration)

I believe in the oneshot it says that she "has a rod but no balls" while also identifying her as a hermaphrodite (which might be a translation choice or it might imply other issues and concepts that weren't really explored in the oneshot's limited space)

Users who are viewing this thread