Sentai Daishikkaku - Ch. 120 - Three-Way Battle, Part 22

Dex-chan lover
This started off as a fairly "normal" series deconstructing the notion of power rangers. "What would society actually look like if there were routine battles every sunday, and the invaders always lost? What would need to be going on behind the scenes to support that level of incompetence from evil? How do you arrive at the point where there is a never ending invasion?"

It seems like it has very quickly transformed into a deconstruction of some people's unhealthy relationship with media. And while that was always in the background to some degree, it's definitely come to the foreground with the latest arc.

Group Leader
This started off as a fairly "normal" series deconstructing the notion of power rangers. "What would society actually look like if there were routine battles every sunday, and the invaders always lost? What would need to be going on behind the scenes to support that level of incompetence from evil? How do you arrive at the point where there is a never ending invasion?"

It seems like it has very quickly transformed into a deconstruction of some people's unhealthy relationship with media. And while that was always in the background to some degree, it's definitely come to the foreground with the latest arc.
I would probably say it's less of a series wide deconstruction, and more the topic of this particular arc. You're right that it's had hints before, but this arc has very much thrust it into focus, but I think most of the arcs have focused on de- and re-constructing concepts that are well trodden. Like Bailong broke down the exam/tournament arc concept and reconstructed it by playing it sincerely in the end, reminiscent of other classic takes on it.

I do know that going forward from this arc, D's concept of what it means to see the world and his allies in it will have been completely changed, as shown by him starting to reject the idea of "Invader" as a spectacle, rather than his previous ideas which always leaned more into the cartoonish. Which is what Chidori challenged him on during their fight - what are you really fighting for, and what are you really about?

Contributor
At this point you could do a whole video essay on it

Dex-chan lover
I have to admit, I have never considered what would happen if a clairvoyant reads their own mind. Definitely a clever trick on their pairt.

I guess you can say it was...foreshadowed.

Dex-chan lover

something that that weird french dude mentioned in serial experiments lain or the matrix in something said about spectacle boxes eventually becoming more reality or something

Dex-chan lover
This is one of the funniest ways I've seen anyone taken down; in essence the writer stated that he got done in by introspection.

Dex-chan lover
aaaaaaaaaaaaaand another flashback.
geez can Negi just focus on main chapter first holy shit

Users who are viewing this thread