Shokei Sareta Kenja wa Lich ni Tensei Shite Shinryaku Sensou wo Hajimaru - Vol. 9 Ch. 34 - The Great Spirit

Dex-chan lover
So we got a Great Spirit that was created by the Will of the World to protect the Planet itself, regardless of what happened to Humanity. We previously also got the Hero and the Sage that was chosen by the Will of the World to protect Humanity.

This is just Gaia and Alaya all over again. Thank God I'm a Nasuverse (Fate) fan, or I'll be confused by the contradiction.

Dex-chan lover
Taken in another way, I guess you could say it’s like how our body creates white blood cells to protect us from harmful bacteria, but we ourselves can take in antibiotics to deal with said bacteria. Unless educated, people wouldn’t really know there was something in our body fighting that threat.

Was this chapter just a homage to Carlin?

"The planet isn’t going anywhere; we are! We’re going away! Pack your shit, folks! We’re going away and we won’t leave much of a trace either, thank God for that. Maybe a little Styrofoam, maybe. Little Styrofoam. The planet will be here, we’ll be long gone; just another failed mutation; just another closed-end biological mistake; an evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas, a surface nuisance.

You wanna know how the planet’s doing? Ask those people in Pompeii who are frozen into position from volcanic ash how the planet’s doing. Wanna know if the planet’s all right? Ask those people in Mexico City or Armenia or a hundred other places buried under thousands of tons of earthquake rubble if they feel like a threat to the planet this week. How about those people in Kilauea, Hawaii who build their homes right next to an active volcano and then wonder why they have lava in the living room?"

Dex-chan lover
"I cannot interfere" said the weird alien lady that just eradicated an entire country cause she got upset over her favorite marble being stolen.

Oppenheimer is a massive fucking wuss.
No more than one of a dozen dozen cogs in the machine yet decades after the fact he starts waxing poetic about his greatness and legacy.
Fuck him and that stupid movie.

Oppenheimer died 1967 ffs lol

Dex-chan lover
Kind of feels like she was telling him implicitly that whatever is empowering the human "saints" to oppose him is not the same "will of the world" that created her. Then she goes on to say she couldn't care less what he does with humanity so long as the planet itself is unharmed. Less a warning of "Don't fuck with me" than "You aren't looking at the right threat".

Could also imply support for him in his conflict with whatever that other "threat" is if it poses great enough risk to the planet.

Dex-chan lover
So shes like an antibody or white blood cell?
While Will of the World is the vaccine or medicine?

Dex-chan lover
great spirit? all I see is egotistical maniac who destroy anything when they had a slight of leeway to do it, she herself is THE threat to the "planet"
Well, no, that was the whole point, that humanity does not in fact represent the planet. Sure is a threat to humanity if she wills it, but humanity's existence clearly doesn't equal the world as she explicitly said.

Chances are global ecosystem of species as a whole is valued higher than any one individual species, and the dominant species isn't inherently an irreplaceable one.

The better question is if she has those constrains and lack of, why the will of the world keeps coming for MC's ass. Maybe it's like an organization where at least one branch does like humanity, shrug.

Dex-chan lover
even if he was able to get that great spirit on his side, her lack of care for life on a small scale would probably make any conflict she gets involved in pointless. Too much destruction and nothing gained!

Dex-chan lover
Was this chapter just a homage to Carlin?

"The planet isn’t going anywhere; we are! We’re going away! Pack your shit, folks! We’re going away and we won’t leave much of a trace either, thank God for that. Maybe a little Styrofoam, maybe. Little Styrofoam. The planet will be here, we’ll be long gone; just another failed mutation; just another closed-end biological mistake; an evolutionary cul-de-sac. The planet will shake us off like a bad case of fleas, a surface nuisance.

You wanna know how the planet’s doing? Ask those people in Pompeii who are frozen into position from volcanic ash how the planet’s doing. Wanna know if the planet’s all right? Ask those people in Mexico City or Armenia or a hundred other places buried under thousands of tons of earthquake rubble if they feel like a threat to the planet this week. How about those people in Kilauea, Hawaii who build their homes right next to an active volcano and then wonder why they have lava in the living room?"
It can be taken as homage, even if not on purpose. I personally think the author simply wanted an entity that could put pressure on Dwight in order to act since his power is on a different league from everyone else. We’ve already got heroes and a saintess losing to him, so the enemies or entities he has to deal with can only scale up from there. It shouldn’t come as a surprise that he’d be dealing with divinities next.

Dex-chan lover
Ok so eventually to defeat the demon lord the humans are going going make weapons powerful enough to threaten the world. Nukes I guess are going to be a thing maybe? Also glad that humanity doesn't equal the world. Just wipe out humanity I guess.

Dex-chan lover
Humanity should be glad that the great spirit doesn't think like human. If she does, then she would already wonder that, since she doesn't care a bit about Humanity, but human has potential to destroy the world, why shouldn't she eradicate human already? Just in case.

Dex-chan lover
Sometimes it's a good reminder that humanity doesn't equal the world.
Yeah, I feel like it was half also telling us implicitly "The Demon King wasn't wiped out by them because civilization isn't The World itself" for those who may start asking why they didn't interfere then and it has to be the hero and the sage.
Different mechanism. The Heroes that have spawned on Dwight same as his friend are there for Demon King menaces, and the Great Spirits seem to be for calamity threats that could wipe ALL life not just some or destroy the planet itself

Dex-chan lover
Great Spirit: "We're defense mechanisms that are created by the will of the world, which can only act with very specific circumstances to counteract certain threats."

Dwight, currently fighting the third enemy who he's identified as being spurred on/created by the "will of the world" in order to defeat him as a sort of planetary defense mechanism: "Damn, that's crazy. Never heard of such a thing."
This just means that what he thought was the will of the world was some other force that wants humanity intact or perhaps wants them to stay not unified.

Fed-Kun's army
The greatest betrayal is always those close to you. Damn Logan abandoned MC outright. :meguusmug:

Users who are viewing this thread