Skip and Loafer - Vol. 9 Ch. 48 - Roly-Poly Unrequited Love

Dex-chan lover
I think I'm done with this manga. Watching this arc with Mitsumi just punting this potential relationship away with Shima was frustrating and painful to watch. Now, I can't take Mitsumi seriously if all I can expect her to do is just running away.

Dex-chan lover
I think I'm done with this manga. Watching this arc with Mitsumi just punting this potential relationship away with Shima was frustrating and painful to watch. Now, I can't take Mitsumi seriously if all I can expect her to do is just running away.
i don't think she's just "running away" (in fact i'd argue what she was doing before, pretending to be fine, was "running away") - shima by his own admission couldn't figure out the nature of his feelings toward her, and mitsumi got hurt in the process because of his confusion. it makes sense for them to go back to being friends until he can figure himself out.

as readers, we see the scenes where shima has shown jealousy/romantic feelings for her, but mitsumi hasn't seen any of that herself. she has no way of knowing he sees her romantically as he doesn't even recognize it himself. so it makes sense for her to break up with him. it's not cowardice or denial if she doesn't know his true feelings unless he relays them himself.

Dex-chan lover
JFC, why are so many people just handwaving Mitsumi and dumping all of the responsibility on Shima?
No seriously. Look at the situation where Mitsumi demands why Shima didn't jump to her defense.

You are running two scenarios at the same time each with opposite results where you have NO idea how the opposite party is going to react.

A: You jump to their defense with the result A1: They thank you A2: OR They get mad for you treating them like they cannot defend themselves

B: You stand aside with results B1: They thank you for letting them stand up for themselves OR B2: They get mad because you didn't jump into the fray on their behalf.

See? Shima rolled a choice, and it came out wrong.

I wasn't expecting Shima to get it right the first time, nor am I expecting Mitsumi to react positively to this. They are still getting to know each other. But it was this, this FIRST sign of trouble (literally a nothing burger) that causes Mitsumi to bolt. This is what made me look at Mitsumi and say "what the heck? You made me read 7 books for you to do this?" Let me reiterate this Ethanobi; I read 6-7 books for it to just end it falling off a cliff without any ceremony. Also, (Ch 52) Shima tells her that Mitsumi interpreted Shima's feelings toward her not as romantic AND we have Mitsumi's friend, basically pointing out a potential flaw in her as in "all she really focuses on is studying". If you guys are telling me that Shima wasn't ready, SHE wasn't ready either. And if this is the confirmation from her friend, how on earth are you guys going to tell me that she was right on the money about Shima's feelings toward her? This just vindicates what I just said, and yet all you guys just keep handwaving everything Mitsumi does and dump all of this on Shima.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
JFC, why are so many people just handwaving Mitsumi and dumping all of the responsibility on Shima?
No seriously. Look at the situation where Mitsumi demands why Shima didn't jump to her defense.

You are running two scenarios at the same time each with opposite results where you have NO idea how the opposite party is going to react.

A: You jump to their defense with the result A1: They thank you A2: OR They get mad for you treating them like they cannot defend themselves

B: You stand aside with results B1: They thank you for letting them stand up for themselves OR B2: They get mad because you didn't jump into the fray on their behalf.

See? Shima rolled a choice, and it came out wrong.

I wasn't expecting Shima to get it right the first time, nor am I expecting Mitsumi to react positively to this. They are still getting to know each other. But it was this, this FIRST sign of trouble (literally a nothing burger) that causes Mitsumi to bolt. This is what made me look at Mitsumi and say "what the heck? You made me read 7 books for you to do this?"
I mean she didn’t break up with him just because of that incident. She was already feeling a ton of pressure balancing her academics, presidency, and social life. She felt that the current dynamic of their romance would only lead to more insecurity and emotional struggles for her. Given that, she decided that she wasn’t able to continue that kind of relationship. Since Shima appeared unsure about the relationship to Mitsumi, she likely felt that breaking up with him wouldn’t be too painful for him so she could go through with this without hurting him too badly. All in all, I think she made a very health and mature decision.

It’s not like this is the end of a potential romance for them. Hell, the way it started made it feel like it was on shake ground. However, with some growth, I think it can blossom into something stronger.

Fed-Kun's army
You people are crazy. How tf is any of this Mitsumi's fault?? Shima clearly was unsure of his feelings, why the hell should she have to force the relationship to continue when dude wasn't even sure if he likes her romantically. Breaking up with him was mature af.
Nah I feel like I'm going crazy, is this misogyny or are you people smoking something??

Users who are viewing this thread