Skip and Loafer - Vol. 9 Ch. 51 - Heart-thumping Ocean

I know she gonna behave like that, the mangaka already spoiled a lot of details about the lil sis’ change of behavior. Luckily, she has a wholesome family back up

Double-page supporter
I don't wanna say "listen here, you little shit" to the little sister
so Fumi-chan, please help
I mean, the pressure she lives under is pretty strong, so her meltdown is understandable. Even if their parents are considerate enough to not compare her to Mitsumi all the time, she can still feel like she'll never be as good as her older sister. But I agree that Fumi-chan should be capable of defusing the situation.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Besides the little "vietnam flashback" moment, I laughed at the "Enter" meme with Fumi.
But it's good, save the day Fumi!

Last edited:
Aggregator gang
Fumi over here going to be the voice of reason. Feeling bad for Mitsum, she has really been through a lot lately. Also this chapter also implies thats Mitsumi is still not over everything that happened with Shima.

Dex-chan lover
maharu must be the eager and self conscious of their "shortcomings" but tries to play cool type like mika 😭😭

i hope lil bb learns to be gentle with herself and others 🥺

Aggregator gang
Man.... I know she's just a brat but😂😂 mitsumi better than me for real. I'd have snapped "yeah? Okay i won't buy you anything else ever, then" and I'll be really petty for a long time. Fuck them kids😭

Dex-chan lover
Dont really blame the lil sis, just the teenage angst kicking in i guess. I was once like her too 😔

Dex-chan lover
Trying to gauge if Shima's reactions in the last couple pages are shock, cringe, or some kind of realization about his relationship with Mitsumi. Honestly can't really blame Maharu; her "elite" sister left looking like everyone else at home, then came back dressed different, with shiny gifts, with cool/hot friends who talk different. Lots of overload there for a kid.

The stuff with Nao was so nice!

Thanks for the translation! I'm so glad the anime is killing it! It's SO good <3

Dex-chan lover
Man, that really hit. It may seems like something small but that attitude of the little sister was hard. I'm also a younger sibling, so It make me feel even worse because I have done that to my brothers. We really don't know any better at that age

Fed-Kun's army
so, what's the problem with her sister?
can anyone explain?

so, what's the problem with her sister?
can anyone explain?
i would like to offer my own interpretation of the situation. let me first start by saying the manga portrays teenagers very accurately, because as an outsider, it is hard for us to understand how a teenager's emotions works even when we once were one. this complexity is portrayed nicely in maharu's behaviour.

the situation stems from maharu being from the countryside, dreams of going to the city, and as a result admires city life more than country life. this dissatisfaction is made obvious when she thinks home cooking is lame, her mother dressed in lounge wear is lame, and she is envious of mitsumi wearing new clothes and being with friends from the city. she is very worried about what others think of her, especially if others think that her being from the country is lame, a stark contrast with mitsumi who embraces her familial background throughout the manga.

next is the part where maharu rejects mitsumi's gift and lashes out at her. I cannot explain this really well because I can't really figure out why she did that either, but my guess is envy and jealousy. maharu could have seen mitsumi's act of gifting a wallet as a display of superiority, and she could have felt that mitsumi was looking down on her as someone who has been living in the city for a while. meanwhile, she said that mitsumi was "acting like she is the only one holding back" because maharu interpreted mitsumi's previous gesture as her being "the bigger person". as the reader, we all know mitsumi's actions come from the heart, but it does not look that way to maharu. from what maharu thinks, her elder sister is, with lack of a better word, "flexing" on her, so she thinks mitsumi's kindness is but an act.

Trying to gauge if Shima's reactions in the last couple pages are shock, cringe, or some kind of realization about his relationship with Mitsumi. Honestly can't really blame Maharu; her "elite" sister left looking like everyone else at home, then came back dressed different, with shiny gifts, with cool/hot friends who talk different. Lots of overload there for a kid.

The stuff with Nao was so nice!

Thanks for the translation! I'm so glad the anime is killing it! It's SO good <3
my guess is that it is likely that it has less to do with mitsumi and shima's relationship, and more of how Shima sees mitsumi as a person. shima is discontent at the fact that mitsumi's kindness is once again interpreted as insincerity, a phenomenon that has not changed in school, and which is now even appearing in her own home. moreover, she does not express this discontent from the words and expressions, and shima got frustrated in her stead.

i saw maharu's poor reaction to that gift from 500 miles away, but i don't blame the well-meaning mitsumi for stepping on that landmine either

Dex-chan lover
Man I kinda figured tensions would be high here but the vibes are off to a bad start...

On the other hand it was really relieving to see gma so accepting of Nao-chan!!

Users who are viewing this thread