Skip and Loafer - Vol. 10 Ch. 55 - Heart-thumping Ocean, Pt. 5

Double-page supporter
i fucking love this manga so much

thank you for the translation!

Dex-chan lover
I really hope the author doesn't actually go with the "secondary main girl/initial love rival couldn't get with the male lead so she gets with his best friend" cliche; Mukai is such a nothing. She actually has more chemistry with Nao since Nao is, you know, an actual character and not wallpaper but obviously nothing would be done there for a myriad of reasons. Hell, Obuchi in his couple of small appearances actually has more character than Mukai.

That said I'm at least happy that Mika got the spotlight for the first time in a long time since she's easily the best, most compelling and most well-rounded character in the series.

Dex-chan lover
I really hope the author doesn't actually go with the "secondary main girl/initial love rival couldn't get with the male lead so she gets with his best friend" cliche; Mukai is such a nothing. She actually has more chemistry with Nao since Nao is, you know, an actual character and not wallpaper but obviously nothing would be done there for a myriad of reasons. Hell, Obuchi in his couple of small appearances actually has more character than Mukai.

That said I'm at least happy that Mika got the spotlight for the first time in a long time since she's easily the best, most compelling and most well-rounded character in the series.
that's kinda harsh, i think his character is to be someone who hangs in the back, trying to stay on the down-low. I think it's hinted at that he's a leveled young man that's trying to not get too hung up on things and not "rock the boat", as the saying goes. this chapter was an indication that he might not be too much ok with that.

Dex-chan lover
If there’s going to be a Mika x Mukai, I’d want Mukai to be the one confessing but only after enough development where it’s believable. Mika might appreciate having such a confession— that there are other nice guys besides Shima and yes they can be interested in her too.

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the chapter!

For real, I really feel that every chapter of Skip and Loafer is very much well written.
Overall, I never lost sight of any character's development - each character is given time under the spotlight and somehow the details and developments stick on my mind somehow and I can appreciate how things turned out - no moment felt rushed.
Now I understand why Takamatsu Misaki is receiving praises.

chopcrycover.jpg
I LOVE YOU NAO-CHAN

Dex-chan lover

Why did you bring up Nao here at all?

Dex-chan lover
that's kinda harsh, i think his character is to be someone who hangs in the back, trying to stay on the down-low. I think it's hinted at that he's a leveled young man that's trying to not get too hung up on things and not "rock the boat", as the saying goes. this chapter was an indication that he might not be too much ok with that.
I get what his character type is supposed to be but it just doesn't work because he has no charisma and thus no way to capture the reader's interest. I can't help but compare him to Gotanda from Bouquet for an Ugly Girl (since Mika is very easy to compare to Uguisudani) and, well, he doesn't compare at all. Gotanda is the same archetype except pulled off way better because he's an actual character, not a piece of wallpaper with thoughts. We're over 50 chapters in and it feels way too late to suddenly start throwing character development onto Mukai that should have been there earlier since it feels like it would be done to justify him getting with Mika as opposed to making him an interesting character in his own right.

The series is generally very good with making its cast feel fleshed out. Hell, I'm interested in seeing how Ujiie and Yasaka and the possibility lf their relationship develop because both have already been made pretty interesting, especially Yasaka. But that just makes Mukai stand out as a glaring weak spot in an otherwise great cast. I think he'd be better or more interesting as the person supporting Mika than as her boyfriend.

Dex-chan lover
I get what his character type is supposed to be but it just doesn't work because he has no charisma and thus no way to capture the reader's interest. I can't help but compare him to Gotanda from Bouquet for an Ugly Girl (since Mika is very easy to compare to Uguisudani) and, well, he doesn't compare at all. Gotanda is the same archetype except pulled off way better because he's an actual character, not a piece of wallpaper with thoughts. We're over 50 chapters in and it feels way too late to suddenly start throwing character development onto Mukai that should have been there earlier since it feels like it would be done to justify him getting with Mika as opposed to making him an interesting character in his own right.

The series is generally very good with making its cast feel fleshed out. Hell, I'm interested in seeing how Ujiie and Yasaka and the possibility lf their relationship develop because both have already been made pretty interesting, especially Yasaka. But that just makes Mukai stand out as a glaring weak spot in an otherwise great cast. I think he'd be better or more interesting as the person supporting Mika than as her boyfriend.
Its never too late to have character development. You sound like you just hate this dood for some pretty subjective and petty reason, tbh

Double-page supporter
hey... when did i start crying... actually i know the answer to my own question. it was that panel with nao's flashback, sitting amongst the waving grass, staring out at the sea.

what a gorgeous chapter. all the panels are as beautifully drawn as ever. the lighting this chapter provoked some misplaced kind of nostalgia within me... it really felt like a summer's end; the night after a long day with friends, those last few hours together before you head home.

thank you for the chapter!

I offer you a new take. I am very much like Mukai. I have no charisma and I find myself very boring as well, as do others I'm sure. It was interesting to hear from him and I'm invested in his character because of our likeness. I don't think it's too late to introduce him because the development between the MCs has been somewhat stagnant if I recall. I'm not going to reread those chapters so remind if I'm ill-informed. If it can't be described as stagnant, may it be described as a relationship where both parties cannot yet identify what they are feeling or do not know how to progress? Their feelings aren't strong enough to progress in the relationship the pace we may expect them to. This leaves room for other character development.

Personally, I am not that invested in the MCs and I am enjoying the development of the rest of the crew.

Users who are viewing this thread