Skip and Loafer - Vol. 9 Ch. 51 - Heart-thumping Ocean

Dex-chan lover
Ong if my brothers are ungrateful and don't talk clearly ima be my parents in my childhood days.
Side note : I'm asian

Dex-chan lover
If toddlers have the terrible twos then I guess teenagers have the terrible tweens. This manga really gets it in that even if you have a close family and stable upbringing once you get into that rebellious phase even the kindest action will set you off

Author-san been putting mitsumi sweet angel best precious girl thru a lot now. My heart hurts 💔 just let her be happy 😭. Lil sis being a total shit tho. Fumi-chan do your magic pls.

Dex-chan lover
anyone understand why after yuzu said "you're so mature!" maharu said "why is it always about nee-san?" i didn't really follow that exchange lol

anyone understand why after yuzu said "you're so mature!" maharu said "why is it always about nee-san?" i didn't really follow that exchange lol
Me neither, your comment actually made me think about it more.

My best guess is Yuzu calling her "mature" leads Maharu to think about Mitsumi, who is not considered very mature (I would say she's more childish, though thoughtful). We see this in Maharu's perception of Mitsumi's previous gift for her (ch 35; specifically the surprise at how stylish the bag is).

Maharu could assume Yuzu is surprised everyone in Mitsumi's family doesn't have the same temperament as her ("bumbling", "childish") and take it as a slight. Even though being seen as "mature" isn't bad per say, an implied comparison would sting no matter what.

Double-page supporter
Me neither, your comment actually made me think about it more.

My best guess is Yuzu calling her "mature" leads Maharu to think about Mitsumi, who is not considered very mature (I would say she's more childish, though thoughtful). We see this in Maharu's perception of Mitsumi's previous gift for her (ch 35; specifically the surprise at how stylish the bag is).

Maharu could assume Yuzu is surprised everyone in Mitsumi's family doesn't have the same temperament as her ("bumbling", "childish") and take it as a slight. Even though being seen as "mature" isn't bad per say, an implied comparison would sting no matter what.
Oh wow, I was confused at that part too but your interpretation is so good. It's really subtle if this is what the author wanted to portray. Thanks for the explanation 👍

Dex-chan lover
my guess is that it is likely that it has less to do with mitsumi and shima's relationship, and more of how Shima sees mitsumi as a person. shima is discontent at the fact that mitsumi's kindness is once again interpreted as insincerity, a phenomenon that has not changed in school, and which is now even appearing in her own home. moreover, she does not express this discontent from the words and expressions, and shima got frustrated in her stead.
I know it's been like two weeks, but just wanted to add that, not only does she not express those things, but she'll almost always play it off as a joke when in the company of others. "LOL, that was awkward, huh?" kind of thing.

man this chapter got me emotionally wrecked-- first the grandma tomato scene and then mitsumi's gift getting rejected like that and her face?? don't mind me just bawling my eyes out over here

Maharu :') it's a tough time for her, worrying about how others see her and feeling like she's not valued as much as mitsumi
poor Mitsumi's face when maharu didn't want the gift too :(

Dex-chan lover
Ahh i can feel Maharu as a middle child, i also feel this way but i didn't express it that harsh.

Users who are viewing this thread