Skip and Loafer - Vol. 9 Ch. 53 - Heart-thumping Ocean, Pt. 3

Dex-chan lover
Capturetfyt.png

Dex-chan lover
and i kinda feel bad about you just so throwing out that Mitsumi isnt attractive like it projects how you see people.
cmon dude, we're talking about being realistic right? teenagers would go with the ones that are pretty or hot, they ain't gonna go 'personality is more important than look' and if they did they would need to spend a good time with her first which is what the nerd glasses guy is but even him go for the conventional attractive girl.
are things really is not realistic or they're not because they don't act the way you personally would act?

They're like 16 years old.

Teenagers fuck up and learn to become better people in the real world, too. You're not being realistic, just negative.
FOR REAL! I don't get why people are condemning Shima so much and tell him he is never "fitting to be beside Mitsuki ever again" like bro they are still hs kids. He has trauma to unpack and learn about himself. What he did to Mitsumi when he's confused was wrong and he knows now, which is literally why he is trying to understand more about his feelings. Obviously Mitsumi dont have to wait for him and she still likes him as a person even if we take the romance out of it, but that doesn't mean that Shima doesnt deserve her... like even after he became a better person he still cant?! That is for Mitsumi to decide ultimately but condemning Shima is just negative and disregard the beauty of this manga's writing.

Last edited:
I love how this manga doesn't go the classic shoujo route (uhhh how do I get them to like me~~ I don't want them to see me as a loser~~~~~ I don't want them to get close to this person~~ ~ etc. you get the idea) and instead actually analyzes human relationships beyond the lens of physical romance in a grounded and introspective way. absolutely god tier. For this to exist not only as a manga but as an anime for other people to have as a reference is nothing short of a miracle.

LMAOOO my boi..... That was a really nice crab huh!

Also, man... I know we're all cheering for them both dummies, but I've been low key hoping that it was gonna be some Queer Platonic Relationship going on there haha :v

Thank you for the amazing translation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aggregator gang
I'm cackling how some peeps so pressed and wants Mitsumi to find new boyfriend or something. Like, come on, this ain't your usual romance manga. Some random love interest wont come up just like that out of thin air.

This ain't just shojo XD
Read the label again and come back.

shima is just like me fr it's so refreshing to notice how similarly we view relationships

everytime someone shows interest in me it's confusing as fuck and now i just find the whole thing bothersome, i'm so happy to see a character dealing with the same struggles and figuring himself out, it helps a lot

shima is just like me fr it's so refreshing to notice how similarly we view relationships

everytime someone shows interest in me it's confusing as fuck and now i just find the whole thing bothersome, i'm so happy to see a character dealing with the same struggles and figuring himself out, it helps a lot
also i think eventually shima and mitsumi will be together but a small part of me hoped they would stay platonic. well! either way i love them

Dex-chan lover
cmon dude, we're talking about being realistic right? teenagers would go with the ones that are pretty or hot, they ain't gonna go 'personality is more important than look' and if they did they would need to spend a good time with her first which is what the nerd glasses guy is but even him go for the conventional attractive girl.
are things really is not realistic or they're not because they don't act the way you personally would act?
Not true. In HS my girlfriend was tall, with a curvy body and had lots of friends. I am not tall. 6" shorter than her and I don't think I ever had anyone compliment me on my smoldering good looks. Because were were in a lab assistant class we spent a lot of time together and got to know each other. We became friends and eventually flirted and fell in love. I know it is edgy to think any hot person with someone less hot has to be about money but that is not true. Not every one falls in love purely based on looks. Sometimes the one you love just looks better than when you first met them. Like Beer Goggles, only permanent.

Dex-chan lover
They're like 16 years old.

Teenagers fuck up and learn to become better people in the real world, too. You're not being realistic, just negative.
FOR REAL! I don't get why people are condemning Shima so much and tell him he is never "fitting to be beside Mitsuki ever again" like bro they are still hs kids. He has trauma to unpack and learn about himself. What he did to Mitsumi when he's confused was wrong and he knows now, which is literally why he is trying to understand more about his feelings. Obviously Mitsumi dont have to wait for him and she still likes him as a person even if we take the romance out of it, but that doesn't mean that Shima doesnt deserve her... like even after he became a better person he still cant?! That's is for Mitsumi to decide ultimately but condemning Shima is just negative and disregard the beauty of this manga's writing.
funny how you people just think Shima could just grow a better person and overcome his issues at that age and could save their crumbling trial relationship at high school lol, mind you guys, his childhood/industry friend Ririka is a walking red flag and she wants him to feel guilty to what happened to her career(well thats how far author has introduced her, still uncertain whats her real motives), and that plothole hast started yet, just an introduction to what's storming.
but hey, its manga and theyre bound together since theyre the MC's. have a nice day.

this manga is great, well written, my opinions got you guys nerves ticked

Last edited:
funny how you people just think Shima could just grow a better person and overcome his issues at that age and could save their crumbling trial relationship at high school lol, mind you guys, his childhood/industry friend Ririka is a walking red flag and she wants him to feel guilty to what happened to her career(well thats how far author has introduced her, still uncertain whats her real motives), and that plot hast started yet, just an introduction to what's storming.
but hey, its manga and theyre bound together since theyre the MC's. have a nice day.

this manga is great, well written, my opinions got you guys nerves ticked
what is your point here by bringing Ririka into the picture? uh she guilt tripped him and added onto his ppl pleasing tendencies and that's about it? Shima got out of the guilt tripping and confronted her about it. Her character's purpose was basically for Shima to overcome a part of his people pleaser tendencies and actually accept that he can have good things aka enjoy high school life unlike what Ririka told him to feel guilty forever and doesnt have the rights to enjoy his life now. That's it. And obviously Shima is not gonna overcome his trauma/past completely and become a new person 🤷🏻‍♀️ But he is definitely gonna get better at understanding his emotions and open up more to his friends. And what do you even mean by "crumbling trial relationship"? Their relationship is just fine, just the romantic part is not working out because in this chapter we see that to Shima, a romantic kind of like is something of less importance but to Mitsumi, that's the kind of feelings that is special. Basically they feel the same thing, just call it different things. Shima likes Mitsumi as a person and to him, that's the highest form of liking he has. And Mitsumi likes him romantically and to her (and mostly everyone else), that's the highest form of liking she has. They share the same "like" towards each other and only call it differently. Not everything is reduced to romantic relationship. Imo, their feelings for each other are pretty platonic but of the same strength. Their relationship is not like before but it's not "crumbling" either LOL

Dex-chan lover
what is your point here by bringing Ririka into the picture? uh she guilt tripped him and added onto his ppl pleasing tendencies and that's about it? Shima got out of the guilt tripping and confronted her about it. Her character's purpose was basically for Shima to overcome a part of his people pleaser tendencies and actually accept that he can have good things aka enjoy high school life unlike what Ririka told him to feel guilty forever and doesnt have the rights to enjoy his life now. That's it. And obviously Shima is not gonna overcome his trauma/past completely and become a new person 🤷🏻‍♀️ But he is definitely gonna get better at understanding his emotions and open up more to his friends. And what do you even mean by "crumbling trial relationship"? Their relationship is just fine, just the romantic part is not working out because in this chapter we see that to Shima, a romantic kind of like is something of less importance but to Mitsumi, that's the kind of feelings that is special. Basically they feel the same thing, just call it different things. Shima likes Mitsumi as a person and to him, that's the highest form of liking he has. And Mitsumi likes him romantically and to her (and mostly everyone else), that's the highest form of liking she has. They share the same "like" towards each other and only call it differently. Not everything is reduced to romantic relationship. Imo, their feelings for each other are pretty platonic but of the same strength. Their relationship is not like before but it's not "crumbling" either LOL
and bam! ending given they end up together happily as he realizes whats the importance of label.

heh, hopefully thats the last of Ririka's.

nah its crumbling, hes already in post-breakup blues and is realizing how much of a TOTGA mitsumi is now. mitsumi is already setting boundaries around but still keeps their friendship intact and the way it were, still, the feelings' there.

seriously though, this thread is getting ridiculous, its already written in tabloid how will this manga end and goes. never thought my very own opinions got you guys all worked up and hostile for having an AU where Mitsumi dates other people first and learns from experience. it's like shes not allowed to experience other things and just casually waits for Shima to be better lol.

Double-page supporter
friend's right though, he shouldnt be in a relationship or thinking about getting back with Mitsumi.

still leaning toward Mitsumi having a new love interest since she deserved better.
I know this "you deserved better" is some trendy mindset nowadays, but I don't really like it. They are just kids and trying to figure themselves out. It's not like Sima did a grave sin or something. And love is not Mitsumi's focus at the moment too, so why do we need another person jumping in and become her new love interest? Just to prove her worth as a person? Should this person be a perfect man who never makes a mistakes so he's better than Sima and thus, prove that Mitsumi's value is higher? This mindset is destroying people's dating life in real life. Yes you do deserve better when your partner cheats, is abusive or toxic. But you just can't replace anyone when you notice a flaw cuz "you deserve better".

Double-page supporter
so Mitsuki's bound to wait for Shima to be a better person?
No, but unlike in real life where people don't like to wait around and hop on a dating app to look for "someone better, perfect, no flaw" immediately, Mitsumi has her own goal to focus on, which is obviously not romance. If someone more fitted come to her life, that she develops as strong feelings as Sima, then sure, she must not wait for Sima and let go of this person. But as you see this manga is very realistic, Mitsumi isn't conventionally pretty and popular, she has a wonderful personality but not many people can see through it, especially shallow high-school boy. Mitsumi will just enjoy her life and when the time comes, she will fall in love again, could be a better Sima, or anyone else that genuinely like her as she is.

What I want to say is it's not waiting or a waste of time when you are single. And an ex become better and come back doesn't mean you are waiting around for him, or his honest mistake (at least in Sima's case, cheating or abusing is out of the question of course) doesn't make him a horrible, irredeemable person that you can't ever love again.

Dex-chan lover
Let's forget about Sousuke for a moment to talk about Mitsumi:

Mitsumi's plan for high school involved study, extracurriculars, forging social connections, and understanding life outside of the province, specifically Tokyo. When she's introduced in the first chapter, and we see the image she has of her future plans, a man didn't figure into it, not even in the background of a single panel. That's not by accident. It establishes Mitsumi as the polar opposite of her soon-to-be-classmate Yamada - the boy so desperate for romance he openly admits he'd be willing to date anyone. Rather, Mitsumi wasn't looking to date at all. I seem to remember her saying explicitly more than once she was going to leave that until college, because she had so many other priorities that took precedence.

That her romantic feelings for Sousuke became so strong that she felt she had to adjust her priorities was something that completely took her by surprise. What ultimately convinced her wasn't even that she felt the need to be with him - it was that she didn't want to end up regretting not doing anything about it. The distinction is important, because it means as things are now Mitsumi has successfully done that. She's free to completely focus on her own life again. It turned out Sousuke didn't return her feelings, and that's that - perhaps she never believed it was real in the first place.

It's almost a slight against Mitsumi to suggests she's currently waiting patiently for Sousuke to sort his shit out. That ain't it. She already proved she has no trouble letting go. She doesn't need to prove how little she needs him by going around dating other people.

Dex-chan lover
huh i thought this chapter is shima’s actual redemption arc / character growth epiphany? am i missing something?

he wasn’t fit to date mitsumi pre-mukai’s lesson because he had a distorted view of romance. he didn’t actually consider it a privilege to be mitsumi’s boyfriend because in his mind, it’s inferior to being her friend. if any two people could be lovers, then it isn’t anything special.

now that’s cleared up, he’s bound to think being mitsumi’s boyfriend is a coveted position. a lot more precious to her than he initially thought. he’s sure to work hard at it now.

Users who are viewing this thread