Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi o Suru - Ch. 104

jlm

Dex-chan lover
Hey everyone.

It's with a very heavy heart that I am letting you all know that our dear friend @mike_leehk has passed away on the morning of June 7th.

Mike was the person who's first dragged both me into the world of scanlation. He was a key member of Church of Potteto, has taught me how to typeset, and was an incredible mentor. But more than that, Mike was a very dear friend to many of us.

Mike leaves behind an emptiness that will weigh on us all, but we will keep his legacy alive in his name. There should not be significant changes to the groups activities, however, Church of Potteto activities will carry on under my stead, and I will be taking over as typesetter on Sono Bisque Doll.

I'd like to extend my deepest condolences to his family, and wish them the best in their grieving process.

Thank you for everything Mike, we'll miss you dearly. Rest well.
Thank you for your work, I bet he is proud you're continuing his legacy.

author needs to advance the romance or something. I love cosplay and I'm all for slow-burn but this is just... bland and frankly feels like an entirely different manga. The vast majority of readers are here for the romcom from what I've seen and it's just very bland and tropey. This arc should have been near the beginning or middle of the story. Putting a whopping 3 misunderstanding arc preludes in 2 chapters is actually crazy, and right after we had basically 5 chapters of the same reiteration of Gojo being sad after realizing that Marin is hot and popular. You have Marin realizing she fucked up by taking so much of Gojo's time, Gojo is still being an absolute moron and has yet to clear up the misunderstanding of her feeling, and then there's Non-chan who seems to be a new love interest if her misunderstanding gets cleared up. Looks like I'll have to put this on the backburner until I graduate college in a few years because this seems to be the start of a VERY LONG and kind of annoying direction for this manga. see ya

Dex-chan lover
Non looks like an undyed Marin, I like their similarity and the light/dark opposition they create with their hair. Curious whether Non will be here only for Gojo to come to terms to this past experience or to stay as an important character.

As for Marin feeling depressed now, I'M SO FUCKIN' GLAD!! Finally she is for the first time considering the effects she might have on people around her and especially on Gojou. Yeah, she's feeling extra guilt and misunderstanding things, but this is gonna be an amazing growth process for Marin who until now has never considered how she affects others. And let's be clear, as a matter of fact her relationship with Gojo is quite unhealthy, effectively harming both Gojou's health and his ability to pursue other dreams. The fact that this comes right into the Haniel cosplay arc is extremely fitting, as Haniel is presented as a being who beguiles humans and brings them to ruin through hiw/her beauty (angels are hermaphrodites in this universe right?), much like Marin will now see herself doing. I see great opportunities for growth and I'm all for it

I think the chances of him being busy for other reasons are close to 0 because we saw how much effort he had to put in these costumes, we saw he hurt himself to to this, we saw his thoughts basically all the time and we saw him realise he hasn't been exercising because of the costume work.
Gojou's ability to pursue his dream would be fucked without Marin, since he hit an artistic roadblock and according to grandpa now he's starting to get better at doll making, after cosplay gave him different insight, plus he was absolute loner with no friends and grandpa was already scared that if he gets ill, Gojou will end up taking over the shop alone with no support and as barely an apprentice. Gojou is now in far better place to pursue his dreams, with new experiences, advertisement possibilities, potential backup/secondary job as high-quality cosplay maker, and it's all thanks to Marin pushing him outside his bubble.

He's also the one who keeps overworking himself, it's not Marin's fault, he thinks that's how craftsman should work because that's his grandpa's work ethic as well. Marin didn't force him to spend weeks on Haniel costume, he got really into Haniel as a character, started sympathizing with Haniel's author views on art when he read that interview, and decided that as an artist craftsman he must make perfect Haniel cosplay because anything less would be sacrilege and personal failure as a professional. Marin was always trying to make him take it easy, but he's the professional here, she can't really tell him how to do his job, once he takes it.

Ugh... We already had enough misunderstanding-based drama. Please, author-san, let Gojo get over his trauma soon and go back to the main storyline.
Seeing a monthly released manga with less than 30 pages always fills me with dread, especially this one with how weird the pacing is. See you guys in another very long month:fml:
Do not despair. The day will come when things get better.

Gojou's ability to pursue his dream would be fucked without Marin, since he hit an artistic roadblock and according to grandpa now he's starting to get better at doll making, after cosplay gave him different insight, plus he was absolute loner with no friends and grandpa was already scared that if he gets ill, Gojou will end up taking over the shop alone with no support and as barely an apprentice. Gojou is now in far better place to pursue his dreams, with new experiences, advertisement possibilities, potential backup/secondary job as high-quality cosplay maker, and it's all thanks to Marin pushing him outside his bubble.

He's also the one who keeps overworking himself, it's not Marin's fault, he thinks that's how craftsman should work because that's his grandpa's work ethic as well. Marin didn't force him to spend weeks on Haniel costume, he got really into Haniel as a character, started sympathizing with Haniel's author views on art when he read that interview, and decided that as an artist craftsman he must make perfect Haniel cosplay because anything less would be sacrilege and personal failure as a professional. Marin was always trying to make him take it easy, but he's the professional here, she can't really tell him how to do his job, once he takes it.
Well said, I couldn't believe it when I saw the other guy make it seem like Marin's at fault for Gojo's actions

Dex-chan lover

God, I thought I was the only one who noticed all of this, especially during the Haniel arc.

Dex-chan lover
My condolences to you and other friends and family of Mike. Thanks for all the TLs done and for y'all's dedication to keep his legacy up.

Marin. Please. Open. Your. Mouth. And. Speak.
Goddam :aquadrink:

I think the childhood backstory is surprisingly realistic, that's quite nice imo. I just hope this isn't with the intention to introduce a love rival when the main ship hasn't been moving in months... :worry:

Thanks for the upload!

Dex-chan lover
It was about fucking time Marin realized that people do in fact have a life beyond their interactions with her; now they "only" need to discuss together what they want from their relationship and decide how to strike an healthy balance between all the activities.
At this pace should take about 300 chapters...

So we're gonna go the classic love interest starts to distance themselves?
Bonus points if the whole "I've been a bit busy lately" is a total misunderstanding and not necessarily due to cosplay creation.
I rolled my eyes when I read this chapter.

I bet her plan to make distance will be to tell him she no longer needs him and then will join that professional cosplay guy.

I mean is it really a coincidence that it's bringing the girl that gave him his trauma back now and also showing the back story.

I fear Marin is going to say something hurtful to gojo to put distance and I feel that will ruin her whole character of not bashing on people :/

Dex-chan lover
I really enjoy Sono Bisque and I have complete faith that the author will end this really depressing arc satisfactorily...

The problem is that the previous arc where Gojo was creating that cosplay was also depressing to read. It was intentionally hard, even oppressive, to read and stifling. And since this manga is a monthly release, it felt like it took nearly a year just to get through it, even though it probably isn't that long if re-read.

When we got to the Comiket expo I thought it would be over and we'd get back to usually scheduled programming, but in actuality all of that was just the set up for this arc. This time it's not just Gojo who is depressed, but now also Marin and this new back story important character Non-chan as well.

It's painful to read, because it feels like all of this could be sorted out in one heart to heart conversation. Said conversation will happen eventually, but at the rate this manga updates we could literally be waiting until 2026 if they draw it out long enough.

Users who are viewing this thread