Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 2 Ch. 15 - Draht

Dex-chan lover
A pity the demon girls are so cute... Guess it's back to endless war against a truly evil species.

I'm glad this series isn't trying to play the "the demons are actually just misunderstood humans with horns and magic" card like so many other fantasy stories for once (or conversely, "all the demons are obviously monsters that you can fight at will").

Beautiful, deceptive demons like this are smartly designed, and honestly? Really freaking horrifying imo. I'd totally get tricked and eaten just showing kindness to one feigning human frailty.

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, I'm still thinking it kinda sucks that there aren't any grey areas for this- they're actually literally are to the word "demons."

But that should also be appreciated since no one does it anymore. lol, they're terrifying

Just posting to say that the various views on demons in the comments here since Chapter 14 have been a trip.

If you're tired of the "demons are just misunderstood" trope or are desperate for any sort of moral clarity in your manga to suit your black and white worldview: grow up. The world isn't black and white and you sound like a child wanting certainty you're the good guy and (insert other group) are the bad guys.

If you're not comfortable with the depiction of demons here as alien and completely irreconcilable... well I wouldn't tell you to grow up. You have empathy. That's not a bad thing. But you're giving the kinds of edgelords who hate on moralfags and SJWs more ammunition.

The real lesson here is that you can't actually fully reconcile two completely disparate realities, so it's a race to the bottom.

Dex-chan lover
@Midoriha To be fair, they've been beaten over the head repeatedly with
the "the demons are actually just misunderstood humans with horns and magic" card
that Doopington described. Not to mention characters like Drizzt Do'Urden, the "not all Drow are evil" poster boy. The reality is that the only interesting thing about the Drow in that setting was their whole fucked up evil society and how it functioned,otherwise they're just more elves.

That shit was super interesting, honestly, an evil aligned society thriving on chaos and murder. They had laws and stuff, but it was more like "If you're dumb enough to get caught, you deserve to be punished. If you can get away with it, you're an asset to society and our crazy psycho bitch of a goddess would be pleased." But then good ol' Drizzt had to show up and I didn't even hate him honestly, but the surge of copycat characters was so overdone, it just immediately went from "Oh this is novel, could be interesting to see this aberration to their society, he's practically a super villain to the Drow," to "Not this shit again."

The predator-prey concept used in this story is refreshing. I like how the author does not try to humanize the other races and each have their own principles and moral compass different from the others.

lmao when demons actually act like demons in a way that humans can't understand, frieren gonna kill them all

@Glomoro

Well the entire point of DnD is to provide as much freedom as possible. For that reason they've made it clear in just about all race descriptions to not specifically say that all are a certain way. It makes sense as well. Nature isn't 100%. There's always the possibility of something different.

Oh fuck now I want to make a story about a unique creature like that that is good though the entire species is evil and has the tragic backstory of having had to kill his offspring after it started mercilessly murdering everyone around them.

Users who are viewing this thread