Sousou no Frieren - Vol. 3 Ch. 25 - Village of Swords

I bet the sword is a fake and there isn't a true hero, it's just there to discourage any "would be" heroes whose only conviction is that they will wield a powerful sword and that it's "their fate" to kill the demon king

Also I wonder how many generations has Frieren been clearing the demons away from the sword

Fed-Kun's army
Knowing how literal this world seems to be it is likely also a fake sword. I would guess there was no real sword and that the conviction of someone who can push forward without it defines them as a real hero

@Lswarmruler

I think the point is that there's no actual sword/it's just a legend to ward off foolish people. Himmel wanted to be a hero despite not being able to pull it out (and he did become a hero). I guess it's saying that events and mythical items like swords don't necessarily dictate who's a hero or not.

Dex-chan lover
Maybe the sword has actual power, but the legend of it being a hero's sword is the real embellishment. The demons seem like they would be attracted to power naturally given how they already do that culturally, yet their failure to destroy it implies it does hold something.

wait, wasn't Himmel supposed to be a lot older than Heiter?
did the autor forgot about it?

Dex-chan lover
the hero who drove away the great calamities that brought destruction upon this world
huh, with this phrasing, somehow it sounds like the sword can only be pulled out after the great calamities has been driven away

or maybe demon king actually isn't the great calamities they referred to, foreshadowing the true evil that is the whole hero vs demon king system
or something

I like this, because this is completely the opposite of what most series do (Chosen One, Messiah Complex, Etc). This does make Himmel more badass...

Dex-chan lover
So even though he pridefully wanted to fufil himself as a hero with or without it.... the story just doesn't 'sound right' without it, huh. That's kind of a melancholy thought. Your imperfections are removed as you get turned into a legend.

Users who are viewing this thread