Tanbo de Hirotta Onna Kishi, Inaka de Ore no Yome da to Omowareteiru - Vol. 1 Ch. 6 - Breakfast With The Female Knight

Supporter
Coming from another language (which was why I know it under the name "ruccola"), I had no idea what that referred to and even missed that it was a reference to anything and thought he just picked some random word xD
But googling I get loads of results, including wikipedia explaining that it's supposedly the same plant, one being "commonwealth english", and the other american? and fun fact, apparently the name "rocket" derives from the Italian word "ruchetta" or "[B]rucola[/B]", which in turn is apparently a diminutive from the lating name ("eruca"). (and no, I'm not italian)
TIL

Didn't manage to find any references to why rocket is considered an inferior name, though? Would love any explanations regarding that rivalry (or if it's a meme or whatever).

ps: @elan, already mentioned it higher up, but salad and lettuce are homonyms/synonyms. Somewhat unsure if that holds true in english too (google does suggest so at least (ie. "salad greens"), which is why I keep using it. But few 'official' dictionaries confirm, particularly if I remove(#2) the word 'green'), but it does in a fair number of languages at least.
I spent time in England, and in fact married a brit, and they foolishly call all lettuce salad and arugula as rockets (I assume because of the shape of arugula.) "How can you call it a fruit salad when there's no salad in it?" I was once asked to my chagrin, which is relevant to the conversation. So anyway I was hoping you were in a similar circumstance or national origin and I could tease you over this silly usage of the word. This does not appear to be the case. However I maintain that it's a silly practice, and nothing will change my mind, because as an American I'm automatically right due to unspecified reasons that I don't feel like detailing as it would be a hassle. QED. Good day, sir.

Dex-chan lover
(I assume because of the shape of arugula.)
like I quoted, wikipedia claims it is because "ruchetta" is pronounced very similarly (I assume?). I would guess the "ch" is a "k" sound instead of a "ch" sound, and the "a" is silent? Googling further it seems I'm half right: "/ruˈket.ta/" - meaning they just stripped off the last "ta" sound, and made the u->o
And I see, standard america v england rivalry xD

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
When will Japanese author understand that Knight are noble? That as noble they eat good food most of the time and are well educated, there is no reason one would be unable to eat salmon with fork like...

Fish are one of the easiest food you can find outside of desert but we are supposed to believe that in an entire frigging world there is a single fish? Or is it that no one was smart enouth to look for any other fish?
Then there is the "white rice is so good", it's white rice, it's nothing exeptional. Same for miso, it's only an extremely basic soup.

How can it be hard to spend an hour looking things on internet to write a good story? Yes it's a slice of life but there are hundred of well writen slice of life that dont boil down to showing how ignorant the author is.

Double-page supporter
feha said:
someone probably told you this already, but the word "salad" is a false friend in english to many european languages, it never means any particualar vegetable, and always means a dish side, qith the distinction between (vegetable) salad, which is savory, and fruit salad which is sweet. it's means both "sałatka" and "surówka" in polish for example, but not "sałata" which is lettuce.

Dex-chan lover
It absolutely is. Another series I'm reading had an entire freaking volume dedicated to acclaiming ramen as the greatest food there could ever be in any country in any world. The whole fantasy and exploration ceased for an entire. Freaking. Volume. I hope the author got paid well from Japanese Tourist Board for that very long advert.
Which series are you talking about?

Dex-chan lover
Fl: Is Tomato a fruit?
Ml: no it's a vegetable.

Starting her first day in Japan with lies, I see?

Dex-chan lover
I wanna see someone invert this trope. The reverse-isekai character tries japanese food and it's the worst thing they've ever tasted. An isekai'd character tries teaching the locals japanese cuisine and it's garbage. This trope wastes so many pages in so many different manga and it never has any kind of payoff.
Bonus points if they give others food poisoning due to raw fish and raw eggs...

Dex-chan lover
ah tomato a fruits vs vegetable question, as if that is the weird one. How about berries, like how strawberries arn't berries, but watermelon, and pumpkins are.

Dex-chan lover
Bonus points if they give others food poisoning due to raw fish and raw eggs...
Those are legit safe, the only reason eggs have to be cooked in the US is that we put them through a wash process to make them nice and white that removes a layer of the shell. If you don't do that they are safe. As for fish its a matter of fresh water fish vs saltwater fish, and being mindful of parasites, as long as they are fresh and no signs of parasites your good.

Dex-chan lover
Those are legit safe, the only reason eggs have to be cooked in the US is that we put them through a wash process to make them nice and white that removes a layer of the shell. If you don't do that they are safe. As for fish its a matter of fresh water fish vs saltwater fish, and being mindful of parasites, as long as they are fresh and no signs of parasites your good.
Yeah, no.
Eggs are somewhat safe, NOW and in a restricted number of countries, only thanks to the immense effort that is being put on to eradicate salmonellosis from the farms: this means the use of huge amounts of antibiotics (which causes a lot of other problems) and thousands of chickens shooted down at the first sign of infection.
Raw, untreated fish is NEVER safe for consumption. Period. Freshness has nothing to do with it.
There is a reason if the incidence of anisakidosis in Japan is a hundred times higher than in the rest of the world...

Dex-chan lover
Yeah, no.
Eggs are somewhat safe, NOW and in a restricted number of countries, only thanks to the immense effort that is being put on to eradicate salmonellosis from the farms: this means the use of huge amounts of antibiotics (which causes a lot of other problems) and thousands of chickens shooted down at the first sign of infection.
Raw, untreated fish is NEVER safe for consumption. Period. Freshness has nothing to do with it.
There is a reason if the incidence of anisakidosis in Japan is a hundred times higher than in the rest of the world..
anisakidosis cases are do to cooks cutting corners, they can be seen in the meat when cut. I did put being mindful of parasites, negligent cooks can make next to anything dangerous. As long as the cook knows what they are doing, and is carful its safe.

Dex-chan lover
anisakidosis cases are do to cooks cutting corners, they can be seen in the meat when cut. I did put being mindful of parasites, negligent cooks can make next to anything dangerous. As long as the cook knows what they are doing, and is carful its safe.

Look, you can believe to whatever bullshit you want. In most civilized countries it is forbidden by law to serve untreated fish; in the ones where it isn't, people suffer from fish parasites. Easy as that.

Fed-Kun's army
does this mf only have rice, I know he has rice field but does he need to eat rice for every meal, he had rice yesterday and now he's eating rice again

Group Leader
does this mf only have rice, I know he has rice field but does he need to eat rice for every meal, he had rice yesterday and now he's eating rice again
Sir. People in some cultures eat rice on a daily basis. Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese are examples.

Fed-Kun's army
Sir. People in some cultures eat rice on a daily basis. Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean, Chinese are examples.
My family makes rice multiple times a week, I know chicken and rice is undefeated champ but since this is a manga show us other food too

Double-page supporter
Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put tomatoes in a fruit salad.
And charisma is the ability to sell a tomato-based fruit salad.
A tomato in a fruit salad is just salsa.
Salsa is a fruit salad using tomatos
Found the bards!
I wanna see someone invert this trope. The reverse-isekai character tries japanese food and it's the worst thing they've ever tasted. An isekai'd character tries teaching the locals japanese cuisine and it's garbage. This trope wastes so many pages in so many different manga and it never has any kind of payoff.
"Honzuki no Gekokujou" has a bit of this, in that while some of the foods the MC introduces (I'm pretty sure it was mostly Italian/western fare instead of traditional Japanese cuisine) is enjoyed to the point of a restaurant getting set up, a number of treats (ice cream and pudding, if memory serves) were received less than favorably.

Users who are viewing this thread