Tearmoon Teikoku Monogatari: Juusha-Tachi no Ochakai - Vol. 1 Ch. 7

Dex-chan lover
Generally speaking, leaving empty bubbles isn't a good thing.

For one, you can take the weeb approach of just keeping the -desu anyway.

Or you can take some creative liberties. A character abusing -desu is an often used stereotype for "This character isn't too familiar with Japanese", usually for foreigner characters. Or in this case specifically, Liora is outright stated to be not too versed in the common continental tongue in the novels. So you can make her dialogue with the extended -desu bubbles stilted and awkward. Which seems to be the point of the extended -desu anyway.

Group Leader
If i may, instead of leaving the bubbles empty it would've been better to keep the -desu there anyway. Less jarring and preserves the speech quirk even if it sounds dumb in english.

Generally speaking, leaving empty bubbles isn't a good thing.

For one, you can take the weeb approach of just keeping the -desu anyway.

Or you can take some creative liberties. A character abusing -desu is an often used stereotype for "This character isn't too familiar with Japanese", usually for foreigner characters. Or in this case specifically, Liora is outright stated to be not too versed in the common continental tongue in the novels. So you can make her dialogue with the extended -desu bubbles stilted and awkward. Which seems to be the point of the extended -desu anyway.
I agree with you both, but that also bring in the issue of Mia herself, since she usually ends her sentences in a similar fashion, but it doesn't get left in a separate bubble. I'm also following official translations of the LN for how the characters talk, which is how I have been choosing the localization of honorifics. I hated leaving the blank bubbles, and tried to find a work around, but couldn't.

Dex-chan lover
I agree with you both, but that also bring in the issue of Mia herself, since she usually ends her sentences in a similar fashion, but it doesn't get left in a separate bubble. I'm also following official translations of the LN for how the characters talk, which is how I have been choosing the localization of honorifics. I hated leaving the blank bubbles, and tried to find a work around, but couldn't.
Why not just try the approach of just moving the last word or two in the sentence to the -desu bubble?

It'll seem stilted, but that's the point. It gives the impression that Liora is struggling to find the words to complete the sentence. Which can be explained by her still being in the middle of studying the common tongue. The fact that the -desu bubble is emphasized and tacked on towards the end is to imply that Liora is speaking awkwardly. So you just gotta find a way to get that across.

Last edited:
Group Leader
Why not just try the approach of just moving the last word or two in the sentence to the -desu bubble?

It'll seem stilted, but that's the point. It gives the impression that Liora is struggling to find the words to complete the sentence. Which can be explained by her still being in the middle of studying the common tongue. The fact that the -desu bubble is emphasized and tacked on towards the end is to imply that Liora is speaking awkwardly. So you just gotta find a way to get that across.
Fair points there. Future stuff I will do that then

Dex-chan lover
Would've been better to keep the "desu" in the empty bubbles imo.
We're cultured enough to understand it anyways.

Also, thanks for the chapter ^^

Thank you so much for translating this!! Always enjoyable but miss the MC (guillotine-chan), some may even think that Mia is MC:LOL:

Users who are viewing this thread