Tearmoon Teikoku Monogatari - Vol. 3 Ch. 13

@shanoc5902 I really, really, like this series, but honestly, I do think that the misunderstandings damage the plot a lot. The sheer amount of them and how beneficial they tend to be are contrivances that damage the story. Overall, the story seems to be about Mia redeeming herself, yet many of the actions that redeem her are based on contrivance, which robs her of her development in some cases. The interactions with Tiona so far, for example, aren't actually progressing her attitude towards Tiona, it's just building up her fame, which isn't really built on who Mia is.

That said, while I do think that this is the series' fundamental flaw, I don't think it's all bad. There were a few scenes previously and more yet to come that actually do a pretty good job at developing Mia in ways were it feels like she earned her accomplishments. This scene is a good example. There's a clear point of failure in her past that she then rectifies her and learns from. Even if we do get the silly bit of misunderstanding here, the important aspects of the scene for the overall plot remain intact. As you said, scenes like this show Mia's potential for being someone capable, even if she's incompetent in certain areas.

Thankfully, this also does happen quite regularly, so I wouldn't say that this series is "bad", at least not atm. It's a mix of unearned victories with earned victories. The unearned stuff drags the series down, but the earned stuff as well as the good pieces of character work keeps the series from being bad. Though, to say much more I'd really need to look more closely at the series.

Now, I do think that this series can do something that would help alleviate some of the issues caused by the contrived misunderstandings. It wouldn't fix them completely, but if the author writes a large section of the story involving her reputation crumbling due to the characters learning of what she's really like, they can turn a lot of these contrivances into an obstacle for her to overcome. That way, despite being absurd that they happened to begin with, they can still make those contrivances ultimately contribute to Mia's development.

I'm really interested in the direction of the series. This whole thing is a great concept, and there's some gold hidden in here both in characterization and in the story's structure, I just hope that the author does something with it that really capitalizes on the series' strengths, even if it's not what I suggested.

Aggregator gang
@NotteBoy97
It helps that for all her arrogant attitude, a lot of her past life was also just misunderstandings and stupidity dragging her down, she did try to bully that one girl though...but that was it, the rest was her being manipulated if not outright lied to regarding things about her kingdom and thus making decisions based on wrong information that led to conflict...but that to everyone else looked like Mia being an evil greedy person on purpose.

It's just that now she's more willing to act nice and has more concrete information about what will happen, and yes, she and other nobles are being manipulated by a conspiracy to make the prince of another kingdom come in and take the power, giving false information and even giving fake news to the prince and Mia's kingdom to make the royal family look bad, now, they are portrayed as being lazy, stupid, arrogant and all that but...it does seem like things wouldn't have turned so badly if not for the manipulations.

Damn i have to wait until April for the next Light Novel Volume to be released
But i want it nowwwww
her granddaughter shows up with help of some time travel thingy

Dex-chan lover
@Elsya
I knew Prince Abel would be the male lead, but they then have MANY children and grandchildren, then she becomes the second lead with her own diary to fix her future!
@ActingRikka Love your Lucina profile pic!

Feudal nobility that detest farming? What is this nonsense? Isn't the income from farming one of the largest source of revenue for the feudal nobility? How did the Tearmoon Empire survive this long with that kind of retarded mindset?

Long hair Mia is amazing btw

She could literally fart and the empire would be like, "Sasuga Mia-sama for creating another form of cheap sustainable energy!" or some sh*t. But she wouldn't because Mia is the Empire's wisdom and a girl and girls do not fart

Dex-chan lover
I thought this was the best chapter so far. MC actually recognizes the value of food tasting damn good after 3 years, and even if you figured out it was a prank, turning it into an opportunity is a wise move.

Aggregator gang
@Red225: This isn't the first time Mia's shown genuine intelligence and deliberately taken actions that benefit the kingdom. While she does luck into a lot of stuff, she isn't actually the idiot the narration likes to claim she is.

Aggregator gang
In my mind, Rania was a bit more... voluptuous.

I can't wait for 11th of April.

Dex-chan lover
Love that line-
"How ironic that he wore classes"

Just love the narrator.

Edit-> Anne is the Mvp of Mia's second life.

Dex-chan lover
@Madcat6204 Certainly it does happen more! But this is one of the more clear times where it's demonstrably 70% luck but ALSO her clearly using her brain to the benefit of all the Empire.

Users who are viewing this thread