Tengoku Daimakyou - Vol. 11 Ch. 63 - Funayama Tooru 2

Dex-chan lover
Iy0XSMO.png

Double-page supporter
Is... this going to end up being some kind of weird mercy killing thing? Like, he wanted to spare her the same sort of pain he went through from the loss of a sibling, and is fucking bonkers so gunshot to the head was his solution.

I'm still not sure how any of this contextualizes the weird psychological torture mirror rape scene from way back. These flashbacks seem like they've been trying to humanize Robin to some extent, but so far they've only managed to make that scene seem even more bizarre than it already did, and I'm at a loss as to how they would bridge the gap, assuming they're even going to try.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
Going to prob be some BS "You let your little brother die so you dont deserve to live either"; placing his own issues onto her.
I hope its more typical "he rejected by her so now shes a perfect speciment for his new project".

Double-page supporter
Is... this going to end up being some kind of weird mercy killing thing? Like, he wanted to spare her the same sort of pain he when through from the loss of a sibling, and is fucking bonkers so gunshot to the head was his solution.

I'm still not sure how any of this contextualizes the weird psychological torture mirror rape scene from way back. These flashbacks seem like they've been trying to humanize Robin to some extent, but so far they've only managed to make that scene seem even more bizarre that it already did, and I'm at a loss as to how they would bridge the gap, assuming they're even going to try.
These flashbacks show how people outside the Academy experience the great catastrophe, and with Robin... More than wanting to humanize it, it's like watching a bomb counting down, Parents always absent, no friends, he only has his sister, The great catastrophe, He tells him to take care of himself so that he doesn't get hurt, His sister dies because she didn't want him to yell at her again, that bomb exploded the day Haruki died, And I don't even want to imagine what happened between 2026 and 2033.

Double-page supporter
These flashbacks show how people outside the Academy experience the great catastrophe, and with Robin... More than wanting to humanize it, it's like watching a bomb counting down, Parents always absent, no friends, he only has his sister, The great catastrophe, He tells him to take care of himself so that he doesn't get hurt, His sister dies because she didn't want him to yell at her again, that bomb exploded the day Haruki died, And I don't even want to imagine what happened between 2026 and 2033.
Very good points about Robin's upbringing. People who think Ishiguro would do a cliched "actually he was good all along!" cheap twist don't really understand his writing or ethics, but also expect some "pure cartoon villain right outta the womb" explanation too. Both approaches to writing antagonists are weak, but I think people have been fed so many bad "sad villain backstories to instantly redeem them" in shounens or whatever that they don't understand what's happening here, but it's very simple - it's to show how a human being has devolved into such a state to begin with, which is not a justification of their behavior, but rather helps underline their immorality more emphatically than any supernatural explanation ever could.

Remember the Hotel King arc, where Maru wonders, "If I'd have grown up here, would I have joined their gang and done bad things?", and Kiruko answers by warmly holding his hand - "I don't know, but we have each other now, so that won't happen". How much are humans a victim of circumstances, of the manner of their births, from where you grew up, or from a series of bad mistakes that snowballs into each other? How close is anyone to being a bad person themselves if the same happens to them? Is redemption truly possible, like Toru, even after he murdered a child? Perhaps the answers aren't so black and white.

Also funny that Marin was somehow reading Crime and Punishment last chapter before she got the seizure.

Dex-chan lover
Going to prob be some BS "You let your little brother die so you dont deserve to live either"; placing his own issues onto her.
I guess Robins mentality is like that, BUUUTTT after some time he f---ed Haruki, like wow.

Dex-chan lover
Finally answers!
Why did he kill his sister, why did he went around performing human experiments, why did he rape him, and why did he mind rape him to booth!?

Dex-chan lover
Now he will realize not only did he let his rapist go scot-free, he also let his sisters murderer go. Time for some mental breakdown though they didn't really care about the rape so wouldn't be suprised if this doesn't impact him much also.

Story is woven so good, little hints to piece together, jumps between timelines, creating a detestable bad guy then humanizing him... I wonder how much author the worked on story before starting the manga. There are so many small details, you can not write something like this on the go...

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I always assumed Robin was just a dude or kid that just joined the orphanage, not the main reason it was set up.

The Robin in these flashbacks is the Robin Kiruko "knew" and wanted to find at the start and you can see that why Haruki admired him and why it was so hard for Kiruko to accept what he did to her, and why she did not want to let Maru (justifiably) beat him to death. He wasn't just some cool older brother figure he was the guy that pretty much saved their lives and helped raise them. Something happened in those 10 years that changed him.

Also while I kind of assumed either Robin or someone connected to the Hiruko was the one that actually killed Kiriko I thought it was from much further away. Robin was looking pretty composed while being only a few meters from an invisible man eater.

Users who are viewing this thread