Tensei Shitara Ken Deshita - Vol. 9 Ch. 43 - Sailing Through the Sea

Dex-chan lover
@Kaarme

I made the assumption that it would magically be transported into our world with its magical properties intact, but imagining how magical creatures could work in reality is fun too.
If you want to make a none magical animal out of it then yeah, it would probably be bone or some kind of shell and probably would be not as dangerous... ya know...because magic...

It could actually still be made out of metal, but it's quite rare for the animal kingdom to actually use metals but they do exist.
A lot of biological materials are better than metals anyway and don't rust to give a few advantages. ( also if you want to be "that guy" you could point out that calcium technically is a metal)
An example pretty I'm sure everybody knows is that spider silk is stronger then steel if it was upscaled. ( imagine if we had spiders the size of cows, that would be pretty crazy... )

Also, a woodpecker can do some pretty crazy stuff because of how its brain is shielded from the impact force when it's pecking wood.
Nothing stopping the whale from having something similar to prevent itself from getting brain damage when it rams ships.
That said, an animal like that would have to have had some kind of reason to ram its face into rocks to naturally evolve like that...
So I guess you would have to make it a rock / metal-eating whale or something 😅 ( we both know that would most likely never happen, but hey... its fun to speculate. )

@angelusalvus

Could be, but there could also just be that there is no skill for torture.
Considering what you learn in some later chapters of the novel regarding how the skill system actually works, it makes sense that some skills just doesn't exist yet.

minor spoilers for like manga chapter 300 or so... ( its really far off )

The gods may or may not be artificial intelligences / the people from the MC´s earth. (it's not confirmed, but hinted to be true )
The gods artificially created the skill system, and because all "evil" gods have been purged or sealed from the system by the other gods.
( we only really know about one, possible two evil gods so far though )
All skills are made by absorbing memories from heroic people and integrated into the system so other people can use it later
( we actually get to meet a guy who has made his own skill in this arc IIRC )
So because the gods actively choose what skill to integrate and their pretty high standard for it, it makes some sense that your everyday torture wouldn't be good enough to be made into a skill.
You would need quite literally god-tier torture skills for them to make it into the system if the gods even want it to be there in the first place
( they have rejected stuff like nuclear power magic that's too dangerous and things they dislike so they could just be like" Nah we don´t like torture, let's not make it a skill" )
Also, just from observation but none magical skills are a lot rarer than those who are. ( but that could just be the confirmation bias talking )

Dex-chan lover
@Kaldrak Morals are something that people create, and as such vary depending on the time and the place. In ch. 15, MC tries to stop Fran from killing the scumbag blue cat, only to be reminded that this world's values are not the same as his. In that world, it's not seen as wrong or amoral to kill someone who tried to kill you and was already a criminal (a slave trader, even) to begin with. So why is torturing an assassin in order to know his sponsor, a vital information, something that should be frowned upon? You're judging Fran according to Earth's standards, but the very idea is flawed to begin with since that world is so different. Also in chapter 15, she says that the reason she wants to kill blue cats (and slave traders in general) is to protect people, not solely out of revenge.

Double-page supporter
@Goldenzeal

There literally is a torture skill https://mangadex.org/chapter/1090355/13
The MC even has the guts to say "not respectable skills at all". What irritates me is the whole "Torture is bad, except when I do it."
I would not be having this problem if the MC had kept his mouth shut and made no comment about their skills. It's the hypocrisy that irritates me, because, again, if someone were to check their skills ans see it, they also could jump the gun and the MCs wouldn't have the right to complain.
then, again, if she didn't get a torture skill, it's just plot armor at work to prevent painting her in a bad light.

Dex-chan lover
@angelusalvus

adding spoiler tag, just to be sure as I make a short mention in passing a novel chapter that´s ahead of where we are now...

oh yeah, sword boi is a pretty big hypocrite here for saying torture is bad, except when he does it. ( in his defence though he only ever tortures confirmed criminals, but its still a dick move )
The only reason I can see why she hasn't gotten it would be that it's hard to get skills, Master being able to effectively give skills makes training the skills a ton faster.
But for normal people training new skills takes a lot of time.
But it could also just be plot armour, it's a very real possibility...

I actually found the first time the torture skill appears in the novel ( chapter 123 - Luzerio ) Master actually points out its the first time he has seen the skill.
The thugs that she meets is back in chapter 87 (it's actually called "A Pair of Grunts." ) and they don´t actually have that skill.
So if it makes you feel any better, that dialouge doesn't happen in the novel and is something the manga adaptation added in :p

Just for context, chapter 123 is in the next arc, once they arrive back on land in the next city. ( 85-100 is the "twins on a boat" arc and we are on 91 or so...)
Novel chapters are padded out a lot because of the frequent use of inspection.

Dex-chan lover
I love this story, but the manga does weird things to some characters that I feel only detracts. The princess wasn't on a sniffing streak in the light novel, so why change it? It does nothing good. It's the same with Amanda and her obsession with getting Fran to call her mum, it's totally misplaced.

Is it really hypocritical to torture people yourself, but not want a literal child to torture people? That's gonna stay with her forever, and she won't be a better person for it.

I'm a bit confused about Fran how strong is she without the sword so far all her abilities seem linked with it. Can she fight without it?

Aggregator gang
@Seraph_best_girl
From what I remembered in official en book
At this point she is at least more than average. While most of her skill come from Master's skill share, she posess good status value from leveling along with the skill she gained herself.

Dex-chan lover
@goodhunter Sushi rice is rice seasoned with sushi vinegar, salt, and sugar and sometimes even kombu. Not just plain rice.

Dex-chan lover
@angelusalvus - Fran and sword-dad aren't quite good people. More like, they're amusingly amoral murderhobos. Similar to, say, Slayers.
But the people they consider "bad" are usually so over-the-top bad, they have skills like "torture 3" or "rape 4", which suggests they raped and tortured as much as a typical adventurer swings his sword. That makes them bad people.
Except blue catkin - Fran is just racist towards them, because they sold her into slavery. Well, blue catkin do nothing to dispel her prejudice.

@Toloran @Solipsist - in this setting, people use monster-repelling magic and knowledge of sea monster territories to be able to travel by sea in relative safety. Well, at least no less safe than traveling by roads where you might be attacked by goblins and two-headed bears.

@Seraph_best_girl - last time Fran was separated from the sword, she fought pretty well, protecting herself and the other two adventurers. So she's a competent adventurer. But without the sword, she is nowhere near world-class power she displays with the sword.

This skipped a lot the boring stuff on the novel where they joined a cooking contest, while finding some ingredients, they saved some adventurers. I stopped reading the novel right there.

Now that this happened, I would like to ask. What chapter of the novel is this?

Edit: I feel such an idiot. This chapter from the novel is 91. What I'm trying to say at the first paragraph is from chapter 120+

Users who are viewing this thread