The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You - Ch. 159 - The Gothic Lolita Festival Girl

Custom title
Staff
Developer
but when over a third of your feedback on here is that she is not understandable or that the repetitive use of foreign slang is distracting/annoying, I would hope that you guys would at least take that into consideration moving forward.
As I believe I've already brought up in this thread,
  • it's not even nearly over a third
  • the repetitiveness is a feature of the Japanese dialogue
  • a minority of people finding it annoying is unfortunate but far from unexpected
  • the understandability is being taken into consideration.
Edit: Sorry, that was a bit passive aggressive.

I don't want to repeat my points, but for background, a number of people are unhappy to this day for every translation decision we (and JB and Seven Seas and the anime) have made from Ahko's lingo to Kusuri not saying なのだ and everything in between.

For many characters in the series, we've actually toned down their repetitiveness either by having more than one catchphrasey thing to say (like Mimimi), just not translating it every single time (like Yaku iirc) or otherwise somehow incorporating it into their manner of speech.

I understand that with Matsuri the bit is particularly straightforwardly visible (the dialect combined with the catchphrases), which is where I assume the friction is coming from this time.

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
It's in reference to her dialect's habit of turning various diphthongs (vowel combinations) into -ei. This has influenced general modern day Japanese in some aspects, and you might have seen it in words like sugee (from sugoi) and teetee (from toutoi).
I get it now thank you for the response

Dex-chan lover
Matsuri's way of speaking sounds more or an Irish dialect than an English one with how the translation is done. IMO, since the source material has her speaking in a historical dialect, I would think that having her speak in Early Modern English would be most fitting for this translation. However, you pretty much need to be an scholar in English studies in order to fluently speak Early Modern English lol. I sure as hell have no idea how to speak it!

Last edited:
Group Leader
And one thing most should know is that creating 25+ GFs aren't easy. Getting idea for them is already hard. I was taking class yesterday and had to think up 3 personas for my climate change website. Coming up with the first 2 was easy obv but the third one was the trickiest because I had to be careful not to make them too similar to either the first 2. All that is to say doing this is very hard, especially when we are still confined within the school, and not abroad. And I think the teams nailed it with their translation, most of what I don't understand doesn't amount to much anyway.

Dex-chan lover
So... Hmmm... Understood (⁠゜⁠o⁠゜⁠; that i understand nothing,
PR: you had one job TL
TL: I did translate it in bri*ish...!
PR: i thought you had to translate it in English?
TL: oh.. ohhhhh

Custom title
Staff
Developer
So... Hmmm... Understood (⁠゜⁠o⁠゜⁠; that i understand nothing,
PR: you had one job TL
TL: I did translate it in bri*ish...!
PR: i thought you had to translate it in English?
TL: oh.. ohhhhh
Actually it was more like
TL: Please give feedback on this, it's just preliminary
PR: It's good, just tone down the wots
TL: There, now it's down from 28 to only 15 instances of wot
PR: You gotta add an "I reckon" somewhere

Double-page supporter
Good god, a character has never annoyed me this much in this series. Her way of speaking is literally insufferable. I never want to read ‘ya daft sod’ ever again. I pray she’s more of background girl and doesn’t get much focus if this is how she’s going to talk.
How weak.

Users who are viewing this thread