The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You - Ch. 159 - The Gothic Lolita Festival Girl

Dex-chan lover
Bleh, English. We just need a French GF to counterbalance that. And ofc, she needs to be as beautiful as Mimimimi Utsukushisugi.

And she'll probably be the new best girl, because all the French girls are usually best girls. Just look at Charl from IS! :D

Dex-chan lover
I for one welcome the Cockney Goth-Loli, and have very little problem with her accent. That said, it may be a far for some people. You can dial it back while retaining the joke. I have a feel Naddy had the same happen to her over time, but no way I'm going back to find out.

Dex-chan lover
Good thing I always have 2 Google tabs open while reading manga: one with Google Translate and the other one with Google Search query '... meaning', so for me it wasn't that difficult to decipher this horrible accent.

Supporter
Oh Boy! Who's excited for the festival obsessed, blonde, bri'ish, tsundere, 6th grader (cough pedophile), goth-Lolita wearing loli,with the personality of a scottsman, who's also this bastard's 27th girlfriend...
Cause I know I am!
(This one girlfriend could have been like 5 different girlfriends I swear)

Dex-chan lover
Dei Matsuri = Festival Day?

Does she speak like a more aggressive Inuyama Aoi/Akari?
aoi-inuyama-yuru-camp.gif

If so, I don't think we need british and it might also get troublesome when Matsuri interacts with Naddy and Yaku (They both don't understand foreign language but it will look like they understand Matsuri's "Bri'ish").

Double-page supporter
Have the people asking if she's Scottish ever heard a Scottish accent lol. Also, thanks to the team for the translation. Making her cockney is fine as a creative choice (thought 'ya daft sod' was pretty funny), but imo you need to be careful about inserting random 'you wots' and 'innits' into sentences where they make no sense (e.g. 'yakisoba, you wot' or 'one serving for 400 yen. You wot')

Dex-chan lover
I for one welcome the Cockney Goth-Loli, and have very little problem with her accent. That said, it may be a far for some people. You can dial it back while retaining the joke. I have a feel Naddy had the same happen to her over time, but no way I'm going back to find out.
I actually still hate how they do Naddy, too.

Dex-chan lover
Brief translation guide:
Ya daft sod = baka
You wot? = NANI?!
Innit = Desu

no, I am not being even remotely serious. do note, though, that often the character is just throwing these phrases out in completely nonsensical contexts and they often don't mean anything when she says them.

also

half-english
can cook

these two things are contradictory. the character is a walking paradox.

Dex-chan lover
half-english
can cook

these two things are contradictory. the character is a walking paradox.
Oi, I can make some basic food. Like boiled potatoes or scrambled eggs. Maybe instant ramen, too.

Dex-chan lover
Well, a lot of things to consider, regarding this chapter.

For readers:
  1. Translation is not a science, it's an art. It's impossible to get a translation that is 100% faithful/accurate to the original. You're always giving up something in order to translate. That is even more important to keep in mind when you're reading a translation made from Japanese into another language.
  2. As explained in 1, you're always choosing something over another thing when translating. In this case, XuN chose to translate Matsuri's speech into English slang, relinquishing her crude Japanese jargon. It's a choice. A valid choice. Translators have to choose all the time. Is it perfect? No, but translation as a profession is never perfect.
  3. If you think Matsuri's (translated) way of speaking is difficult to understand (which is a fair complain), try reading Naddy's OG Japanese. That's much more broken and difficult to understand, believe me.
For the translators:
  1. I agree that maybe it's a good choice to tone down a bit Matsuri's English slang (even if it was done to reflect in a way the original Japanese). Sometimes, the 1 to 1 adaptation from one language to another is worse than removing some stuff when translating.
  2. I applaud your creative choice, though, as it's never easy to translate from Japanese, and even more considering how much Nakamura-sensei loves adding stuff to his characters' dialogues in 100kano.
Peace!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread