The 100 Girlfriends Who Really, Really, Really, Really, Really Love You - Ch. 159 - The Gothic Lolita Festival Girl

Fed-Kun's army
Maybe from "Teyandee"? From what I know of Japanese linguistics, the -dee is pronounced like "Day" or Dei.

Then again, I only just learned from the Mother's Basement Winter Trash that the infamous "it's not like I like you or anything" is quite literally "inda kara ne", so...
Oh shit, I didn't even realize😳

Dex-chan lover
images

Dex-chan lover
Honestly, I think it would be better if you translated her speech just like subs do for Chibita in Ososomatsu-san for, since Matsuri is clearly based on him.

Y'all really goes too harsh on her and the translator. It fits well with other accent of other GF, so why the hate now?

Instead of Naddy, Dei Matsuri seems more like the counterpart of Yaku. The twist come from her being an actual minor, having thick Japanese accent while also loving festival. Despite her looking like the typical Western Gothloli vampire archetype.

Also don't mind me as I thirst a little bit here

UUUUOOGGGHH BLONDE GOTH LOLI 😭😭😭NEED RENTAROU LOVE CORRECTION 💢💢💢

Dex-chan lover
We're aware, it's basically on purpose. The original text uses the catchphrases we mentioned in the tl note in some contextually inappropriate and nonsensical places, and our rendition of her dialect aims to be pretty much as serious and accurate as the original.

As in, not very much :korone:
I really respect the work that you guys are doing, but I honestly think this decision was a miss. It is really hard to follow, and turning her into a Cockney nonsense machine is a bit over the top. On top of that, clearly from the comments here you have made a character that is nearly impossible for non-native English speakers to understand, defeating the point of the TL in the first place. Surely there is a way to convey "poor, working class speech that is out of style" without making her speech so headache inducing. At this point I would honestly prefer a straight translation with a TL note along the lines of "she is using an extremely outdated dialect that doesn't translate well into English". Maybe abbreviate a few words, drop the g off any "ing" suffixes, etc. "Workin' up some Yakisoba 'ere, ya dumbass". All the "daft sod", "you wot", "innit", and "guv" stuff is just your liberties that make it really difficult and un-enjoyable to sift through.

Group Leader
So she speaks in an exaggerated style mostly found in historical / fictitious stories and she's half-english.

So they went for a very stereotypical, thick and hard to understand irish accent, the TL struggles heh.

But hey "teiyande" like in Samurai Pizza Cats!

Users who are viewing this thread