The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 7 Ch. 35.1 - Back to the Inner Palace (Part 1)

Oh lord, what is Rihaku up to now? I can only smell trouble coming from whatever hair-brained scheme he's up too. Although, seriously, isn't this what Mao Mao was aiming for way back when she first introduced him to the brothel? XD

Dex-chan lover
Oh good. One of my absolute favorite scenes from the light novel should be coming up shortly. 🤪

Dex-chan lover
@eatgoddamnshit, she didn't teach him how to make better paper. His family bought two new cows, and the cows got their saliva into the water used for making paper that affected the quality of the product.

Mao Mao didn't make the paper better, she just identified a probable problem of why their paper recently lost a royal appointment or whatever.

I feel like this chapter was just a filler chapter so I can't wait for the next chapter! :D thank u for the translation!

Dex-chan lover
@eatgoddamnshit
It's more so that Maomao detective ability and vast knowledge solved their suddenly new problem:

Let's resume what clues Maomao had:
1. Cows, that were never used before are suddenly added to the paper making facility
2. paper quality suddenly dropped.
That's all for the clues.

Stopping there, we can deduce that the cows may have been responsible for the reduction of quality of the paper, the question is how.

Now enter Maomao's general knowledge:
1. Cows like to drink water a lot.
2. Paper making use glue which require water.

Stopping there, we can deduce that the cows are drinking the water used for making the glue and somehow it badly affect the quality, scientifically how does that happen tho?

Now enter Maomao's medecine knowledge:
1. Saliva will soften hardened materials.

Stopping there, we can deduce that the cows saliva, interact with the glue by softening it, rendering the paper quality very tearable and fragile.

So from all of this, what could have a village of paper makes have missed and didn't knew?
They certainly may had suspicion about the newly introduced cows to be the cause, but killing them would have resulted in a failed investment, not a solution.
The cow drinking water, it may seems obvious to our common knowledge, but at the time? It wouldn't be surprising for them to not know how much water cows wants to drink (you would be surprised, but my neighbours, a new farmer without formation, did the same with feed, resulting in the death of one animal already).
The saliva softening property? They would never know that.

Why didn't they just cover the jars? Is it part of the process? I mean, I wouldn't want some random things floating in there if I'm going to make my product with it.

Dex-chan lover
At this point, she really should charge her detective service, she saves so many people already and save a failing business, she did all that and yet she have same wage like the other maid? (plus some random rare medicines ingredient)

Dex-chan lover
The current emperor seems like a surprisingly decent fellow, all things considered.

Users who are viewing this thread