The Apothecary Diaries - Vol. 7 Ch. 35.1 - Back to the Inner Palace (Part 1)

Worth it lol.
rz6omm.png

The line "it just goes to show how long this matter has been put off for" is kinda bugging me. How to make sense of that panel?

Dex-chan lover
@Propodia in all honesty, that whole page was a fucking pain to translate and edit, just because of how broken the whole thing was. From my own understanding, that bubble is trying to emphasise the age at which consort Rou Ran got married to the emperor at (mao mao is ~19 or something and Rou Ran is also ~19 years old. Women would get married much much earlier back in the days). It's trying to hint at the idea that this matter has been being pushed onto the emperor for a long time now, but he has managed to evade it thanks to whatever reason, but with Aaduo's departure, he could no longer keep Rou Ran from getting pushed onto him by that influential official that's mentioned on the same page. Or at least something like that.

Thanks. Is Maomao really 19? Since Gyokuyou is also 19yrsold I thought maomao should be younger. I even thought she was 14 like Rishuu before this chapter. But the emperor like ripen fruit he shouldn't like to marry another 14 and even bed her.

Now, I think Maomao could be 17 since Jinshi is 19 and 2 years apart is kind of ideal for us easterners. Also, her foster father got out of the imperial court when Jinshi was 2 years old.

Edit: Nvm the wiki of this novel said she was 17. Cope with your explain before, I think that panel mean she said the matter had been put off because of the age, since the emperor isn't a pedophile.

Dex-chan lover
@Propodia nonono, don't misunderstand, this has nothing to do with the emperor's age preference. She was being pushed onto him by the powerful official for a long time, but he had been successful at avoiding having her enter the inner palace with various excuses. Still, at the end, the official got what he wanted by having Aaduo removed and replaced with his own daughter. One of the emperor's excuses could have been that he doesn't marry children, but it wouldn't make sense since he does already have consort that's still a kid.
Also yeah, mao mao 17? I don't know the exact age either. I just know that she is in her teens/late teens. Still, that's a rather late age to be marrying at for the time.

The chinese woman age for marriage was like 15 at that time, but they could even marry as infants. Though, 17 was not really late I think 20 is late lol.
Harlots in hanamichi also start serving customers at 15.

Anyway, thanks for the replies, and tyvm for the scan

Fed-Kun's army
i forgot how old maomao was sdakljdk but it's so interesting to see the differences between this and the web novel. (i think this follows the light novel, anyway??) ALSO I ADORE THE ART

thank you for the update!

Regarding Maomao's age, IIRC she was 16-17 in the beginning, so now she's probably 18-19, considering the approximate age of Princess Rinrii (she was 6 months old in the first chapter).

Fed-Kun's army
Poor RIhaku. He got completely hooked on Pairin. The granny has to be quite happy!

Dex-chan lover
Casually saving a whole village’s livelihood.
Just Mao Mao thangs

Maomao should charge people for all the invaluable advice she's giving out lol. She'd be rolling in dough if she did

Users who are viewing this thread