The Guy She Was Interested in Wasn't a Guy at All - Ch. 51 - Gravitational Pull

Dex-chan lover
Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... are they gay for each other yet?

Dex-chan lover
“Teen Spirit” is gibberish. Kurt wrote the first draft (which seems to have been about being famous, but was still largely nonsense) in five minutes before they played it on stage for the first time.
about half of their songs are just nonsense. The other half are, well, not.
He didn’t give a fuck, and if he didn’t think the song needed to be about anything in particular, he didn’t do it.

The song is titled after what someone said he smelled like. It ain’t deep.
That's intentional meaning, but there's also unintentional meaning. Even if you string stuff together without thinking too hard, the words can form connections. It's still based on your fundamental understanding and the context that surrounded you when you wrote it. And the listener will bring their understanding to it and create more meaning once it's left the author's hands.

When you make art it's common to not fully understand what you're making. You'll have some amount of intention, but in the process the work takes a life of its own. Your ideas grow in reaction to the thing becoming real. Often the work becomes very different at the end from when it started, or once it ends up in the world out of your hands. Some of the best work is things you don't think about when you make it. I wrote a big thesis paper about my MFA work, after planning out all the individual pieces, setting a goal for what the exhibition was about, and thinking intensely about what I ended up with. Years later I've reconsidered my ideas and changed/added to my understanding of what it means.

Meaning is a living process and a pluralistic one. I agree with you that Smells like teen spirit is not deep. But also, it's pretty deep.

Dex-chan lover
That's intentional meaning, but there's also unintentional meaning. Even if you string stuff together without thinking too hard, the words can form connections. It's still based on your fundamental understanding and the context that surrounded you when you wrote it. And the listener will bring their understanding to it and create more meaning once it's left the author's hands.

When you make art it's common to not fully understand what you're making. You'll have some amount of intention, but in the process the work takes a life of its own. Your ideas grow in reaction to the thing becoming real. Often the work becomes very different at the end from when it started, or once it ends up in the world out of your hands. Some of the best work is things you don't think about when you make it. I wrote a big thesis paper about my MFA work, after planning out all the individual pieces, setting a goal for what the exhibition was about, and thinking intensely about what I ended up with. Years later I've reconsidered my ideas and changed/added to my understanding of what it means.

Meaning is a living process and a pluralistic one. I agree with you that Smells like teen spirit is not deep. But also, it's pretty deep.
“Unintentional meaning” is head canon. I’m all in favour of it, but you can‘t put it out there as a pattern put in by this artist.

If you’re reading something into it, that’s awesome, but you can’t ascribe one specific meaning as “correct” or something others should treat as “is” instead of “sounds to me like”.
I have a shelf full of thousands of years of biblical interpretations, and lots of it differs wildly. It’s all opinions and fan fiction, and I love it. I love me an exchange of fan theories and poetic interpretations. I’ve spent hours arguing with a friend about Elder Scrolls and Bloodborne lore. Great times. Some of my best memories.

but the fact is that he took something kind of incoherent and intentionally made it completely incomprehensible. He wanted to make “the ultimate pop song”, so it makes sense for it to be a bunch of words everyone can sing without feeling anything much specific about it.
He succeeded in his goal. That entire album is amazing, some songs make me cry.

But let Kurt have the legacy he earned (if what he ultimately disliked): he wrote a pop song to be a hit, and succeeded beyond all expectations. He didn’t have meaning behind it.
Know what I think IS about fake punks and poseurs in general? In Bloom. “And/ he’s the one who likes/ all our pretty songs and he /likes to sing along and he /likes to shoot his gun but he/ don’t know what it means“ is fairly self-explanatory. (Wow, putting separations for the individual bars really puts the genius of that structure in perspective. The ideas are spread across two bars. The character is placed as a small footnote to the actions thereof.
Intentional or not it makes ME feel like “he” is unimportant. “He” has no personality.

great songwriter. he never gets credit for as amazing of a singer as he was, though)

Last edited:
Dex-chan lover
I feel like Mitsuki is just gonna lead on Aya. It’s kinda makes sense too considering this authors previous works.

Dex-chan lover
Hol up did she just “moon is beautiful” this raycon listening party?!

Dex-chan lover
That panel at the end where they have their fingers locked is so wholesome. Thanks for the translation

Yooooo THE SHINS! Is this how it feels for the rest of you guys when it references a band you actually listen to?

Dex-chan lover
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Dex-chan lover
im thinkin how the fuck this gon get animated with the song refs. gl wondance

Dex-chan lover
Thanks for the scanlation.
ALL HANDS ON DECK THEY ARE HOLDING HAND I REPEAT THE ARE HOLDING HANDS -ish

Users who are viewing this thread