The Holy Grail of Eris - Vol. 4 Ch. 14 - The Silent Ladies' Party

Double-page supporter
@Nayrael Exactly!
Still, they should have made at least some preparations.
Iirc Connie's fiancée offered her help, but she refused. That was bad thinking on her part. Maybe she thought that Scarlett's ghost would be enough, since it always has been up until now. However this also gave us a neat entry point into Connie falling for Rudolf for real. We already got hints to that.

@all Guys, this is not some post WWII western world society, where social standing doesn't mean much. We're talking about a society where social standing is everything. The daughter of a viscount (meaning, she has no title in her own right) simply cannot refuse the invitation of a count, especially if the invitation comes from one of the oldest count families in the country.
A refusal is tantamount with social suicide. Nobody would trade or deal with you, nobody would lend you money and the other peers wouldn't even speak to you. It also reflects back on her fiancée (a count in his own right) because he allowed such a behaviour in the first place.
Reading the terms and conditions also wouldn't have helped a bit, since she wasn't in the place to refuse the signing in any shape or form.

Why is everyone bitching at Connie? What we see on this chapter are reasonable character developments and world building. I disagree with all those manga/manhwa where MC gain OP power within 2 chapters.

1. Connie just recently get out from her shell of being a Grail and step for herself. She's still very much a Kitten who learning the rope from Scarlet (and Scarlet is not exactly a good teacher). She's still a bit naive and still cant quite grasp the big picture. How could she? Just 14 chapters ago she didnt even realised that her fiancee gotten into affair with her enemy (which she didnt even realised having!).

2. The Grails are not high in social ladder, they dont have much social or political clout nor they have the wealth to throw around. Basically all they have are their name and reputation. Connie doesnt stand a chance against the Dalkians; she herself admit that the situation is a lose-lose from the get go. Connie aimed high, and she rightfully fell into the obvious trap that not even Scarlet can help her with. She's Randolph fiancee, who came from one of the great houses, and even that didnt help any.

This merely portray how bad the situation is and how precarious Connie's standing currently, and how small she is in the grand scheme of things.

One of the things that I love about this manga is the PORTIONS. A lot of weekly or monthly manga are short, unable to develop a full story or properly pull off an arc without 2 pages at the start of each chapter basically catching people up to speed, detracting from the remaining 18 out of 20 pages. A quick snack, if you will, of story. And then there's the Holy Grail of Eris that comes out in big meaty portions. Steaming meat hacked from the bone, pillowy potatoes heaped high and topped with gravy, served with bread basket, and a choice of wines and cheeses for afters. I'm saying this is a 5 course meal of a manga. You can sit down and read this shit rather than paging through it idly. And what's 2 pages of exposition and recap out of 84? Its good stuff.

Dex-chan lover
I don't mind the protagonist pair finding themselves in a situation that they can't solve on their own, but Constance just felt way too helpless and useless throughout that dilemma. I'm not expecting her to have Scarlet's way with words already, but she practically didn't say anything of worth besides the stuff about Pamela. It made me wonder why they bothered switching out at the end as if Constance had anything to say that Scarlet couldn't just say herself with far better delivery. My memory may just be foggy, but Abigail could've used some more foreshadowing too. Her appearance kind of felt like a deus ex machina.

Honestly, reading this story always making me angry lol. Most everything and everyone are such bitches that the whole county better off crushed to the ground.

Gee it seemed going well when Scarlett had taken over but Constance's strength is in her allies

Double-page supporter
Thanks for the chapter as always, translator-san. U know, if waiting for 2 months means getting this 80-pages chapter, i guess it's worth waiting it after all😁

@Ruhrpottpatriot
Interesting point there. I don't know that social standing matter that much in that kind of society. But still, as much as i don't like how others express their dissatisfication, i've got to admit that cornie indeed lacks preparation when she arrive at that place. May i ask your opinion about what she's better need to do before marching to that lion's den😅, since based on that villainess statement i doubt connie have any power in that 'party' from the beginning?🤔

Double-page supporter
This reminded me to never sign without reading first

@lovolo
You asked. I'm gonna try my best to deliver based off my own dive into the spoiler search. This wont be too detailed as it has been a minute.
So yeah ultimately Scarlets dad, and the king, who might as well be her uncle, can be blamed for Scarlet's death. They sacrificed her due to
some shenanigans about her birth mother being fallen royalty for a nearby kingdom and that kingdom wanted to use Scarlet for whatever the grand plan is.
The crown princess
is an agent or something from the other kingdom and is responsible for the crime Scarlet was executed for.
Alot of readers consider the king and dad to be worse villians of the story because if CONNIE who is a young girl is better at uncovering the truth then clearly the King n Dad are just trash.

Users who are viewing this thread