The Holy Grail of Eris - Vol. 4 Ch. 14 - The Silent Ladies' Party

Damn such a good chapter.

The tension 😩 every panel with scarlet 😍 the allies in the end 🤩

People are shitting on Connie so hard as if they’ve never fucked up badly in their life just like her in this chapter. Or maybe, they remembered that after seeing Connie shot herself in the foot, and project their shortcomings onto her... nvm. As far as we know, Connie is basically a little bird that just got out of her little cage unwillingly, learnt to fly with the help of the unreliable ghost bird, explored the big and corrupted world, one step at a time.

When on earth with Constance stop running head first into obvious obvious trouble? It makes no sense at all. Especially when she does not actually have a plan or method to deal with it. That is pure idiocy. She even knows she is doing the wrong thing - she even knows she is out of her depth. But, she does it anyway - and someone always bails her out.

The only good thing about her is her courage - she always does what she wants to do in the end. But have some god damned sense.

EDIT: forgot to say thanks for the translation!

Its a hard lesson but its a needed one, she was indeed naive and selfish. Thinking just by being honest and forward, they'll eventually listen to your words, she has long abandoned the way of honesty that her familly has but it is tough to shed those teachings you had since young after all.

Its dangerous but very realistic potrayal of a girl who is trying to understand that the world is not divided into only black and white.

Group Leader
@Notesha I wholeheartedly agree. People are so quick to shit on Constance, with good reasons but a bit too harsh, considering we are watching over her growth, who recently just cracked open her cage of “living with honesty”.

Dex-chan lover
Connie was silly to go there unprepared, but I get from where that comes from. She and Scarlet have go through everything so far by being brazen. That's how Scarlet rolled, and it worked just fine. The difference today was they met someone who wanted to crush them and who is way above Connie on the social ladder. You see this when Connie gets frustrated, switches to Scarlet, she does her thing and it doesn't work. Why? Because Connie is not someone connected to the royal family, she just the daughter of some poor viscount. Basically, no one.

I would have liked a bit more of foreshadowing of the intervention, though.

Double-page supporter
@dive123 This manga portrays a society that's an amalgamation of German, English and French societies in late 18th and 19th century, with a bit post WWII mixed in. Yeah, there are some inaccuracies here and there, but this is a work of fiction not a documentary, this artistic liberty doesn't take away from the quality of writing at all.
The German part is clearly overall style/naming of characters. Randolf is a pretty good (one might say textbook) example of a Prussian officer. The English/French part is the whole nobility thing. The titles are English but behaviour and deference to the sovereign is French (in England peers had many more rights than in France for example, magna carta and such). What clearly is post WWII is the standing of women on the social ladder. Yes in the Regency and Victorian Era, there were powerful women, but they were not the norm, here they are much more numerous -- which isn't bad, mind you. It rarely makes for a good story to leave out half of your population (and readers).

In any human time up until the end of WWI and WWII (depending how you look at it) social standing defined what you wore, it defined where you went to school and how long, it defined your friends; it very much defined who you were. A noble in that time would never ever see themselves on the same level as citizens, let alone commoners. This separation of two social classes, where one had much more than the other is one of the reason for the French revolution and why bicameral parliaments exist (you had to give the commoners some rights, but god be damned if they sit in the same room as you!)
Example: Germany is usually called "land of thinkers and poets", but people forget people like Goethe and Schiller, had rock solid education beofer anything else -- Goethe was a lawyer and his father financed his studies with more money than he'd ever need (think of studying at Havard and your father pays the 50k tuition fee and gives you 50k on top of it). Schiller had a PhD in medicine and again his studies were financed by his father. If you didn't have any money you'd finish eight years board school and then work on the field or in a factory living from hand to mouth.

In Germany and France there also existed a concept of civil death/mort civile, where you'd loose your "civil honour rights" by court ruling, meaning your marriage would automatically be annulled, all your property would be confiscated among other things. You were seen as "dead", even though you were very much alive.

So what could Connie have done?
Not much, really. She wasn't in the position of declining the invitation. She also couldn't refuse the signing of the contract, because that would amount to declining the invitation. And she couldn't have spoken up after the meeting, since a) the contract b) nobody would believe the daughter of a (just recently almost bankrupt) viscount over a countess (I'm assuming Deborah is s countess in her own right, not just the daughter or wife of one), especially with no proof and the word of two other countess' against her.

The only thing she could've done beforehand is to ask Randolf for help and he could've made and excuse for her not going, but that only works so many times. Loose-Loose indeed. It also would've robbed us of a crucial plot point in Connie's character development. As seen in page 78, she starts to see the count not as a partner in a faked marriage anymore, but as a person she starts to love honestly.

Yes the scene could've benefited from a bit more foreshadowing (we basically only got that one interaction between Connie and her fiancée, which hinted at something), but the rest of the chapter was top notch and a solid 9/10

Dex-chan lover
I don't really see anything out of character for Connie. She's had a recent string of wins and she probably just assumed it'd be a similar situation except here she was punching waaaay above her weight and Scarlett can only do so much.

Was it naive of her to assume the invitation (which as many pointed out refusing would be social suicide in a time where that actually means something) would go as smoothly as things have been so far? Yes. But if you're surprised then you haven't been paying as much attention to Connie as you think you have. She's improving but she's no master manipulator (yet?) and this will be a nice reality check for her. Not to mention she's probably starting to see the Count as someone she can actually rely on now and potentially even come to love

Also big sis Abbie rocks

This Aunty....errrr.. big sister was SAVAGE!!! This was truly a nice episode showing that the FL is not all powerful or someone who can anticipate and hence plan a strategy before hand. Its quite realistic even if I was tearing my hair from the hopelessness of the situation (and her naivety/stupidity if i'm honest- although as most people here have pointed out, most of us would have done the same )

Uwaaah, this chapter is totally AWESOMELY TENSE! 😳 Almost held my breath in every pages. Four thumbs up for the author and translator. Hope there's a publisher who wants work on this novel ❤️

FINALLY she gets a capable female ally who can help her in these situations...she can't rely on a ghost forever. Cute as this premise is with her being the most innocent, morally righteous bean, I hope to see better analysis and strategy from Connie. Was very disappointed that she didn't appear to read the contract at all, because even if she had to sign it, you gotta read whatever you sign...

She is going to have a very hard time punching up the foodchain if she doesn't use Ulster's knowledge more. The guy clearly is invested in at least exposing the corruption anyway, and he has the rank to back her, so she needs to make sure he can cover her back beforehand whenever she makes a move since her family is smallfry. Hopefully her comments in this chapter means she'll stop being so much of a damsel in distress (although does that term count if Scarlet is also one of her saviors?)

Thanks for the chapter!

Double-page supporter
The plot devices used in this chap are all over the place....it's like I'm reading the thoughts of someone with ADHD having a panic attack.
Imagine being one of the people in the comment section who are giving lengthy lore dumps. Hello fellow autists! Don't over do it, people won't read lengthy walls of text.

Aggregator gang
Page 28
>basest
This is probably more related to "basic", but I'm just laughing at how contrasting its meaning here vs the modern "based".

Users who are viewing this thread