The Holy Grail of Eris - Vol. 4 Ch. 14 - The Silent Ladies' Party

Double-page supporter
@Ruhrpottpatriot
What we see is Deborah's unveiled threat (to use the guards), something she can only do because she is a countess in her own right
Yes she is (IIRC wan't stated that she was a duchess actually?), however isn't actually required to hold authority for that.
It's possible that she has control over some family assets, or she paid the guards to be under her control. (I suspect that the guard would be allowed to do something blatantely illegal)

That won't give you the ability to double a persons debts, however
Well connected and rich families can (and actively did in some cases) slander and damage a family finance trough various means.
Of course "doubling the family debt" is nonsensical per se, even in this setting. Someone (even someone with the rank of a duke) can't decide that a family should have an incresed debt to let that happen. They need to create ther condition for the debt to rise. The only exception is if there is a tributary system in place, where the affected family is dependant to another more powerful family, or there is the action of the ruler.

Here the balance of power is far more complicated because so many nobles had seigneuries in multiple countries serving different nobles and kings to different degree (e.g the Rulers of Prussia at one point were subject to both the Polish King and the Holy Roman Emperor at the same time).
This is correct, real world nobility is way more complex. This doesn't invalidate my points however. (Also, THEN THE WINGED HUSSARS ARRIVED)
You also can't use the Ottoman analogy to a world clearly set in a western European setting
Even inside Europe there were a lot of differences of noble society. England had the Magna Carta, and was completly different then French nobility, Spanish nobility was still different, considering the reconquista, Sardinian nobility obeyed the same law as the non nobles (Carta del Logu, one of the first european law codex written in Vulgar language, in this case Sardinian language) and the nobles constituted a parliament (Corona de Logu).
Why is it that women always get the scheming role? Men were as good and most of the time even better (because you know, more participated at it) than women
Never stated that man didn't actively partecipate or mastermind conspiracies.
I also refuse the fact that men were inherently better schemer becouse numbers.

The setting is very interesting and I'm loving the premise of so many non-romance based socio-political drama. Nearly all the characters more interesting than the MC tho, unfortunately, who seems to be going two steps ahead and 15 steps back each chapter (I get that she had to attend the bullying-sessh but not reading a single page blood contract?). But can't deny the appeal in a non-OP or perpetually winning lead to make things more interesting.

Dex-chan lover
@hitsuzenwatcher I know right? But in those kinds of settings reading the contract wouldn't have changed much, since she really wouldn't be in a position to argue with anything. In fact, her reading the contract would have probably been seen as a sign of weakness to be exploited.

I love how both characters are influencing each other and I kind of wish for an alternate story, where Scarlett and Constance met before Scarlett's death. Just for fun.

Aggregator gang
If/when Scarlet moves on at the end of this series (and I hope she does), I am going to be so sad. Them holding hands this chapter was adorable.

Double-page supporter
@Ruhrpottpatriot Thank u very much for the explanation👌
A lot need to be muled over since i don't know much about world history, but at least i got the gist of it. Once again, thanks

@icekatze hmm what about live action? Since normally most of 'anime onlies' don't like complicated plot without any action, i suppose making it an live action would be able to bring charm of this kind of series. Well it's just my opinion though...

Double-page supporter
that went about as well for constance as i was expecting, the poor girl really did rush herself to the guillotine there. luckily she was able to make it out with her neck intact thanks to ulster and mrs. o'brian here (who is a very cool lady btw!! glad to see some more interesting women added to the cast, and a friendly one at that). it's nice that constance is admitting and reflecting on her hastiness as well.

thanks for the chapter! it's always a pleasure to read through an update and slowly digest the unfolding plot. will need to reread the prev ch to recall the circumstances of this silent party tho 🧐

I don't think they would have let her go even if she didn't attend. I believe what just happened was the best outcome

Dex-chan lover
@dive123
I'm not sure. If they could find someone who looks the part and can act the part, and can figure out how to do the whole floating insubstantial bit, maybe?

I don't know how people choose which manga/novels to turn into anime, but I know that the tastes of people like me are definitely not taken into consideration. 🤣

I see a lot of people dissing Connie here but I think how she acted was in line with her character. Regarding the contract Debbie told her the rule is to not speak about what was said here and that’s why she probably did read the contract and saw “Must obey the rules” as referring to that. Secondly she didn’t really have a real idea of what goes on there, even Scarlett didn’t really know, she didn’t really have the ability to prepare for it. Thirdly, she went there mostly to gain information from them, and because she generally believes the best in people, she thought the whole “inquest” would be done in good faith and that she didn’t have any issues because she was without anything to blame her for, and worst comes to worst she had Scarlet and the true “law”. To her she thought since she would have a fair chance to defend herself she wouldn’t have to worry but she didn’t realize how they would set her up beforehand with no chance of justice because she is naive to the political world still. I don’t think she’s dumb, otherwise she wouldn’t have reflected on it the way she did. She is just slowly learning how not to be as naive.

I think Constance wants to be like Scarlet (like the way she speaks and defend herself), but I do think Constance has her own power of words. She just needs to grow up, after all she's young and someone who's naive. She will have to follow her own path, make her weaknesses into strengths. I look forward to it.
I love so much Scarlet, her mannerisms, her way of putting words. Everytime I read this manga, there's always a battle of words. And that's just juicy. It makes me realize how women can be scary lol
Thank you for translating : )

Dex-chan lover
Yup, for people who dissing Connie, remember this: at the start, she is a girl from a lower rank noble, without any experience in their society, dont have any real power, and just a wall flower in their party. Thats why in the start of the series, her fiancee dare to cheat in front of her, even accuse her. On that time she learn how scary human can be, and now she learn how feudalism works.

So, her ignorance is normal and this is a good medicine for her.

People acting like not reading a contract is odd when I bet 99% of them don't read the TOS for websites they join.

I mean, most people here probably weren't expecting Connie to be suddenly OP but she could have at least showed she's trying such as,, not being an open-book? Reading the contract? Because she's obviously witnessed that nobles will eat up any sign of weaknesses you show and it's like her development just went back to zero. At least she's gonna learn something from this though.

EDIT: I'm also kinda taken aback how not a single noble gets confused how she looks/acts all meek and then suddenly go smug and cunning lol her demeanor just becomes way different

Users who are viewing this thread